Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual Irish/American citizen without Irish passport arriving to work in Ireland

Options
  • 02-02-2011 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Thanks for taking a look at this. I have a bit of a problem, and the people I need to talk to most (the Boston consulate) are not in today due to snow, so while I'm stewing over this, I thought I'd post here asking people for their thoughts:

I'm a dual citizen, having been placed on the foreign births registry a couple of years ago. I recently was offered a job in Galway on the condition I start March 1st. Since that's so close, I decided to hold off on submitting my passport application until arriving in Ireland. I thought this would be ok, because I have a certificate of citizenship along with all the supporting docs I needed to get it.

I now believe that was rather naive, and it's the passport I arrive on that will determine my status. Apparently arriving on an American passport will put me on holiday status, with the maximum time being 90 days and no ability to work. The problem is my apartment is gone at the end of the month, I've sold my car, most of my possessions and resigned my job. My ticket is bought and everything.

I'm desperately trying to get a passport expedited, but have to yet hear back from the consulate, but in the meantime I'm wondering, if I were to arrive on an American passport, but be able to demonstrate my citizenship, is there no way around not having the passport? It seems odd to me that the authorities will acknowledge that I'm a citizen and yet not allow me to remain.

Has anyone got any insight? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

If you have got friends, family etc on the Irish side they may be able to expedite your passport application for you here. In addition they may be able to ask their local TD for help in progressing the application.

However, even with the passport you are still going to require a RSI number and your tax status will have to confirmed with the revenue. Given the ways things are with the civil service in Ireland at the moment I reckon these are not easily progressed i.e. they will require time and effort (calling and following up on all aspects of the application to ensure it is progressed).

My advice is don't sit back and wait for this to happen when you arrive in Ireland. Get cracking on it now and do as much as you can here. Hopefully the Irish consultate in Boston can help further.....

Best of luck with the move.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Criostoir33

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, a lot of the things I need to do (like PPS number) require you to already be resident in Ireland, so I have to wait. They will accept a temporary address combined with a letter from my employer, so I'm not terribly concerned about that bit.

I called the Garda station in Galway, and the lady who answered was very helpful in that she took down my information and said she was going to pass it on to whomever deals with that sort of thing. She also gave me a number for the immigration office in Galway to call tomorow.

I spoke with the embassy in DC and the gentleman I spoke with seemed to suggest that consulate employees have the ability to expedite passports, just that it's not usually done for first time applicants. He seemed to think that my story was compelling enough that I could probably get some help on that front, so I'm a little more hopeful now than I was at the beginning of the day.

Will go to the consulate as soon as they open tomorrow to see about the passport.

I think this move is aging me a year a day.. Can't wait until it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ChiTownGirl

you can get an irish passport expedited once you get here, or it takes about 10 days. 80 euro.

you can get a PPS number without it, i dont have one and was able to get the number no problem.

husband, who arrived here with only the foreign births registry paper, was able to work without an issue.

check out http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/ if you havent already.

hope it helps, and hope it's good for you in Galway.

Advertisement