Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lodge (now €7 in and free class nights gone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

yeah it's a dive but its still our dive if you know what I mean? I don't like the Hurlers that much, the inside of it, but I'd say thats where the crowd will be now..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

The main reason is students just aren't spending the money in nightclubs anymore. It's the same everywhere. Why bother going to a nightclub when you can go to fine wines with a tenner and walk out with a naggin and 6 cans of dutch?

pubs and clubs in this country think they have a god given right to our money. If you are not competitive thats your problem. reduce the prices your charging for drinks and watch sales soar

I like comments like this. This is what everyone says and typically we see them 3-4 weeks later attemping to get back in.

i can count on one hand the amount of good nights iv had in the lodge in 4 years, you get away with ALOT because of the convenience factor and the lack of any competition (until now i guess but i dont think the hurlers thing will stick in the long term, but then again i havnt seen their new 'shed' thing yet maybe it is like a proper club)

You have no idea. Turn up outside the lodge for 10-15 minutes between 11 and 12 any night and watch the students outside downing naggins, wine, cans - anything.

pretty sure we have a fair idea, we are/were the ones doing it after all
    Drink sales are down, I don't think I have to tell anyone that. It's pretty obvious with the raised entrance fee.

again because your prices arent competitive, that is the only reason.

Yeah, it's an absolute dive. I knew there was a reason we were so busy.
    Hmm.

your saying its not an absolute **** hole? a place can be a ****hole and still be good craic.
    "It's actually the worst nightclub I've ever been in.. everything is wrong with it" - If you can't be arsed elaborating on your reasons you might be better off keeping them to yourself.

here is why it is ****, in one sentence.

YOU DONT OFFER VALUE FOR ANYTHING.

in more then one sentence. you are convenient thats all you have going for you. for what you get 3 euro on the door is a rip off not to mind 7. the drinks are over-priced. the place is in rag order. the dj is ****. you let too many people in. you let too many people on the dancefloor. you let people get way way way too hammered and then still serve them drinks. the bouncers enforce civility when it suits them

on the plus side the bar staff have always been fairly friendly and hard working, which was not the case the last time i was in the hurlers during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Regarding drinks promos, yeah they've quitened down a lot, we've only had one since the students are back. Used to have them weekly but it seems to have dried up. Maybe its diageo etc cutting down during the recession?
    doubtful since every other pub/club in the country hasn't cut down them as visibly/at all from what i can see

This is what, the 3rd year of recession? The 3rd year students are finding it harder and harder to find jobs, finding it harder and harder to come across disposable money. The last 2 and a half years the lodge stayed the cheapest both for drink and admission. Not to mention the thousands of free comps and passes given away to societies and clubs in UL. Drinks promotions weekly yadda yadda. Even though it's 5/7 euro at the moment, the drinks prices are still far cheaper than in town, but everyone seems to overlook that part. What short memories people have.

sorry but that line, right there, is a load of sh1t.

cheapest for admission...hmm we have mollies free most nights, trooms 1/2 euro in, unless its your years night in the lodge it was a fiver (i think), sunday used to piss me off that way alot :D

as for drink prices, are you really being serious there, mollys beats the lodge by far on drink prices, promos or no promos, trooms generally have drink promos on tuesdays which is their busiest day, havent been in icon/angel lane in a year so i dont no there,

anyways, your biggest competitor at the moment is sellling shots for 2.50 and pints for 3 euro and students are flocking there, sure the drink is cheaper in fine wines but people are still going

you dont represent the lodge so you would have nothing to do with prices i know but if students are packing out the hurlers when they have a very regular 3 euro pints/2.50 shots offer while still making a decent profit off it, maybe its time the lodge started something similar instead of the policy of trying to bleed students for every last cent

As opposed to?
    You save 5-6 quid on taxis heading from your house to the lodge rather than going into town. The Food (you know there is food right?) is close to half the price of superdine. 2:50 for curry chip/burgers last I checked. Still not good enough? Ok, sure I'll go on.
    never in all my times in the lodge have i seen food offered there:eek:, where abouts exactly

Rag order? I'll not go into specifics on this one but there is roughly 5-8 hours total each day put in by staff before the place even opens. The place looks a bit raggidy because of the wooden floor. That can't be kept clean anyway so it's a non issue. We do our best but the floor is part of the lodge, the whole wooden thing and whatever. Wouldn't be the same with short carper or whatever.
    in fairness it looks in a state most times but i appreciate (as someone who has worked in pubs/clubs before) how hard they are to keep clean, the wooden floor would be a nightmare alrite
    DJ. This is a good one. The DJ plays your requests. Do i need to go any further on this one?
    again didnt no about requests but there still an issue,
    i was in last thursday night (free pass:D) and i heard horse outside 3/4 times that night, the bloody censored version too, amm the clubs is checking ids, its ok, we can hear curse words. If a song gets requested fine, but dont play it twice in the space of one hour
    10 - We let too many people in? I can't comment on that because I'm not in security.
    every club has this problem but the lodge is really bad for it, there was one sunday nite last semester it took 10 mins to get off the dancefloor to the toilet
    12 - you let people get way way way too hammered and then still serve them drinks - I am going to vehemently deny this. It's a pet hate of mine and I assure you it's not happening. If you read up you even admit yourself of what happens with students outside of the lodge before you come in.
    Man up and admit responsibility for yourselves and what/how much you drink because you sure as hell aren't getting served drunk once inside.
    your right in your previous post about students downing drinks and falling inside, however ive seen it a few times where people have been falling around 5 minutes previous and going up to the bar and being served.
    13 - the bouncers enforce civility when it suits them - The bouncers are there to protect the customers, the staff and the facility. If they see fit to throw someone out, they do so. I find it ludicruous that people can fault the bouncers when their whole job is to keep you safe.
    the bouncers in the lodge are notoriously bad at this stage, alot of it due to the fact that students arrive drunker in the lodge, but they have a bad reputation at this stage and to say they are blameless is kidding yourself man
    Those are the prices now.
    Go back a year or two. The best offer I (think) had in uni was the trinners bus, which was a tenner.
    oh and yeah, I actually forgot about mollys.
    ALTHOUGH, they're charging admission now.

im only a second yr student so they're the deals ive come to know, i heard mollies where charging but i also they still are free some nights, open to correction (havent been there in a while, was going trooms tues and lodge thurs when i did go out)
    anyways its the present that concerns everyone
    The only offer I've seen in mollys was the 5bottles of beer in the bucket of ice for 15. Don't know if they still do it but that was a good one. Other than that I was in there november and was charged 7:50 for a vodka and coke so I'm just going on my experiences.
    theres been others, at various times ive been there there has been pitchers of sex on the beach for a tenner, single bottles for 3.50
    pints of some beer for 4 euro
    nothing fantastic but significantly cheaper
    I'll assume you're refferring to the hurlers and yeah, thats a savage deal. But I doubt they can keep it up. The prices are probably cheaper because they dont shell out for security.
    from convos i have with the staff they are still making a nice profit out of it, even if they put up the cost by 50c its wud still be savage and would probs cover a good portion of the security cost
    Those prices aren't feasible for a nightclub. I know that and you do too.
    That said, I don't really know what's going to happen. Who knows?
    i agree but there is some scope in moving prices
    they have to try something better then the current situation cause it is backfiring badly,

btw i fully realise your not representing the lodge but thanks anyways

1- If you had you'd know the lodge is still the cheapest nightclub in limerick drinks wise.

i dont believe that for a second, other clubs have been listed, your main competitors are cheaper. so you are incorrect
    4 - Read #1. Or my first post. Maybe you'll get through it all this time!

i have its still a lie and your still uncompetitive
    5 - So now you like the place? Make your mind up. Also, I was being sarcastic. If the place truly was a dive it would be empty/closed.

no i dont like the place i was making a point. the lodge happens to be a dive and ****. costelloes is a dive but good craic most of the time
    6 - YOU DONT OFFER VALUE FOR ANYTHING.

As opposed to?
    You save 5-6 quid on taxis heading from your house to the lodge rather than going into town. The Food (you know there is food right?) is close to half the price of superdine. 2:50 for curry chip/burgers last I checked. Still not good enough? Ok, sure I'll go on.

Soft drinks are about 20 cent cheaper per than in town.
    Pints are roughly the same.
    Spirits and the like, are also a small bit cheaper, like 10 cent or something.
    Where it gets interesting is where you get stuff like, double vodkas and red bull, where its less than 11 in the lodge and 14:50 in angel lane. Go figure.

as opposed to nothing. im not comparing it with any were else. i think all pubs and clubs in cities are over priced but at least most of them have to put in an effort to be somewhat unique, like interesting decor, different rooms with different music. im taking the lodge on its own merits. it has nothing to offer but convenience and everyone knows it and thats fine, thats not a bad thing as long as you realise that thats your niche and charge accordingly

your really trying to sell your club on the fact it will sell you a burger?
    7 - Rag order? I'll not go into specifics on this one but there is roughly 5-8 hours total each day put in by staff before the place even opens. The place looks a bit raggidy because of the wooden floor. That can't be kept clean anyway so it's a non issue. We do our best but the floor is part of the lodge, the whole wooden thing and whatever. Wouldn't be the same with short carper or whatever.

if it takes you 5-8 hours to set up the lodge or to clean it after the night before, the press release is the least of the businesses worries and your bar manager should be fired immediately. i worked in smyths / icon for quite a while and it takes 2 maybe 3 hours to get it from post saturday night madness state to ready to open the next morning including all stock, cash etc done. it has more bars, more space and more nooks and crannies then the lodge will ever have

9 -DJ. This is a good one. The DJ plays your requests. Do i need to go any further on this one?

it has nothing to do with what he plays, being a dj is more then hitting play on a cd player

11 - Too many people on the dancefloor? Really? Really? Ok, next night I'll ask a bouncer to stand at the entrance with a clicker and tell everyone else they can't come on the dancefloor because it's too full.

thats exactly what other clubs do, none in limerick admittedly but all the ones in galway iv been to do it and the dance floor is far better for it, a good few in dublin do it as well but its not as necessary due to the gargantuan clubs there
    Protip. Students go onto the dancefloor because that's what they came here to do.

exactly, it would be great if there was even a tiny bit of space to dance instead of having to be balls to cheek with every horny drunk out for the shift

12 - you let people get way way way too hammered and then still serve them drinks - I am going to vehemently deny this. It's a pet hate of mine and I assure you it's not happening. If you read up you even admit yourself of what happens with students outside of the lodge before you come in.
    Man up and admit responsibility for yourselves and what/how much you drink because you sure as hell aren't getting served drunk once inside.

your talking ****, fair play to you if you dont serve people who are too drunk. your workmates do, all the time
    13 - the bouncers enforce civility when it suits them - The bouncers are there to protect the customers, the staff and the facility. If they see fit to throw someone out, they do so. I find it ludicruous that people can fault the bouncers when their whole job is to keep you safe.

the bouncers do what they want, there dosn't seem to be any rules accept dont touch the disco ball. if someone keeps shoving me on the dance floor im more likely to get kicked out then they are because the bouncers dont give a **** and let it happen but as soon as i stop them myself ill be grabbed and thrown out without getting a word in edge ways. if a girl walks by me and pushes me cause she is a angry drunk cnut she should be out of there, it happens all the time but they never get kicked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

9 -DJ. This is a good one. The DJ plays your requests. Do i need to go any further on this one?

Hmmmmm I can remember 3/4 occassions where I have requested something off him....sometimes even reminding him 2/3 times during the night.....never ever played.Might as well be talking to a wall.Instead he plays absolute drivel(probably just brought now 65 cd with him and nothing else).He'd put a teenage disco to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I haven't read all of the last few posts but is the poster that's defending the Lodge really intimating they have the cheapest drinks around? Really?

Jesus I've been in there enough of times to know that you won't get anything for less than €4.50 unless your 'buying' a pint of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Right, first off, the Lodge is not a good nightclub for numerous reasons, and the fact that its full practically every night, doesnt change that fact!

It has been mentioned that the Lodge is convenient, and tbh, imo that is without question the MAIN reason why its full each night.

The music in the Lodge is awful and to say that students are the ones requesting each song is ridiculous. The DJ has a set list and plays that, and keeps repeating songs at various stages. Its almost worse than Ber in the Stables, when you can tell what songs are going to be next!

The security in the Lodge - well, they are like any other security I've encountered, and I've never had a problem with them. I have seen instances of people being kicked out for very little, and others staying for worse offences.

The staff behind the bars tend to be very good. Rarely have I had to wait for drink. However, WAY TOO often do they serve people who are well past drunk. I have never gone into the Lodge so drunk that I'd be refused or unable to order a drink or handle more drink, and I have been there sober too, so I have seen it happen, despite what the other poster claims. I know you are not going to refuse people behind, as it causes trouble, and the less the better right?

Then we have the price of drink there. The Stables is around 4 euro a pint on average [less for Guinness and cheaper lagers such as Bavaria]. Why dont the Lodge offer Bavaria instead of Heineken and charge less. I'd bet that students wouldnt mind paying less even if it meant drinking Bavaria on draft.
    Other places do offers, and to ignore them and suggest that the Lodge is the cheapest for the past few years is ignoring the fact that it is NO LONGER the cheapest.

Consider that students can get a bus into the city for €1.60 until 11pm, and then get into Costello's [Free before 11pm afaik] and only a €5 afterwards. A full taxi on the way home [carrying 4 people] will only be €3/4 each to Castletroy. All together it costs ~€10 which is not an arm and a leg to spend for a travelling in and out of town, to a place where pints are good, and you can get served cans. The alternative, walk to the Lodge, pay 7 euro in and pay over the top for very bad pints. I know what I spent my time doing, and it wasnt the Lodge!

Here's what student pressure will do when they really want something;
    The Lodge wrote:
    Due to increasing pressure from student's we have decided to reverse our decision to discontinue the free in for certain years Sunday's will be free in for 1st years,Tuesday for 2nd,Wendsday for 3rd years and Thursday for 4th years.

We couldn't have the students stay mad at us !

Predictable enough climbdown that was probably necessary after that embarrassing PR job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

According to Facebook, the Lodge has reversed their decision....

Due to increasing pressure from student's we have decided to reverse our decision to discontinue the free in for certain years Sunday's will be free in for 1st years,Tuesday for 2nd,Wendsday for 3rd years and Thursday for 4th years.

Fair play to them for swallowing their pride so quickly, I'll be back there this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think that refusing hammered people drink causes as much problems as it solves, so no complaints, just one small point....stop charging for tap water. Theres many stages over the course of a night that even a relatively sober patron will need water, never mind the desperately drunk person on the verge of being sick. They shouldn't have to pay for it. Thanks for your responses btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Bontonfrink, I had quoted numerous posts above but realised it was waaaaay too long and I've to get to work.

Just a few points:

#1: I am not a liar and I'd thank you to apologise for that. I have been into the Lodge a good few times in my time in UL and have never remembered a drinks promotion.

#2: As I have said, I haven't yet been to the Hurlers so I don't have a clue what it's like inside. It's been revamped recently though, no?

#3: Molly's has drinks offers every night, and buy one get one free hours plenty nights too. Trooms have become competitive with offers on cheap pints, and nominal entry fees. I can't comment on Angel Lane because up til recently it's been strictly 21's, meaning I can't go there (bit of a different market to the Lodge anyway).

So your point about the Lodge being the cheapest up until the price changes doesn't stand up. Even Stables has better drinks offers on pints, as Mossin mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I like comments like this. This is what everyone says and typically we see them 3-4 weeks later attemping to get back in.
    We had one lad wrote a letter in complaining that "we ruined his college experience" for getting barred after ripping a hand drier off a wall. Go figure.
    Cool generalisation bro. I have never being thrown out of the Lodge for drunk, disorderly behaviour, much less vandalism.

Why someone's 'college experience' must be synonymous with getting ****-faced is beyond me though. One of the main reasons I moved from Elm Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Are the pints in the stables subsidised? The stables is not exactly a normal pub though- its a college bar, for students and members only. The Lodge is for the public, so hardly like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Cool generalisation bro. I have never being thrown out of the Lodge for drunk, disorderly behaviour, much less vandalism.

Why someone's 'college experience' must be synonymous with getting ****-faced is beyond me though. One of the main reasons I moved from Elm Park.

Exactly there are others ways to have craic and it doesn't have to damage your liver in the long run.

cson wrote: »
    Here's what student pressure will do when they really want something;

Predictable enough climbdown that was probably necessary after that embarrassing PR job.
    HulkHands wrote:
    According to Facebook, the Lodge has reversed their decision....

Fair play to them for swallowing their pride so quickly, I'll be back there this week
    Unfortunately that was a frape:(:eek:

someone set up a fake lodge niteclub page and posted on the real lodges page,according to there fb page, its not free, there still charging and still deleting comments
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Are the pints in the stables subsidised? The stables is not exactly a normal pub though- its a college bar, for students and members only. The Lodge is for the public, so hardly like for like.

I've no idea if the Stables pints are subsidised, I would doubt it, as they wouldnt need to due to the high footfall they have each year.
    Perhaps its not like for like, but considering that the clientele for both is the same, [and there is no doubting that fact - as UL id is pretty much all that is required to get into the Lodge].

they are definitely not subsidised and it is run as a business not a club

freyners wrote: »
    Unfortunately that was a frape:(:eek:

someone set up a fake lodge niteclub page and posted on the real lodges page,according to there fb page, its not free, there still charging and still deleting comments
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news

haha thats a pretty good frape

good to know they are still being cnuts

PeakOutput wrote: »
    haha thats a pretty good frape

good to know they are still being cnuts

if i wasnt so disappointed by the fact it was a frape id be applauding, unfortunately im still sickened

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »

actually i live in elm park now and i wouldnt find it that bad, i live on the main avenue too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Many people now seemed to have been banned from the Facebook page for making comments

erm. Guess what a club is?

he doesnt mean a niteclub, the stables is a different type of club

For the person that says 4:50 drinks etc, I'm used to paying much more in town. Granted that's usually saturday nights which might make a difference.
    hm

There's your answer there. Saturday night is the night out for most people who work; it goes without saying these people have the most disposable cash hence the prices are more expensive [despite this I've still bought 3 Miller for €10 in Anal Pain on a Sat nite which isn't too bad].

You have to compare like with like; I think it's fair to say The Lodge exists solely because of the student populace and its a populace with less and less disposable income thus once you begin charging relatively extortionate rates relative to the cash students have for nights out they will desert in droves. €4.50 is very expensive for any drink imo; I keep saying it but Mollies is open 7 nights a week with a Late Bar Licence*, €3 pints of Fosters and various other offers; if it does charge in it's only €3/2 and it clearly ain't short of customers at the minute. Why can't The Lodge do similar?

*Late Bar Licence is the same cost and broadly the same make up as a Night Club Licence as far as i'm aware.

End of the day; you gotta compare like with like. The Lodge is a student nightclub and by ignoring the fact that students do not have the cash to spend on €7 entry fees they will struggle; and sadly its the likes of yourself who will suffer for a decision that is out of your hands for the most part. I wouldn't be trying to defend The Lodge so much as alert the management as to the stark realities of the situation if I were you.

I live in Cappavilla and it's still a €2 Taxi for me to The Lodge so add it all up; €2 Taxi + €7 in + 4 pints @ €4.50 = €27. Alternatively I could go to either The Hurlers and spend €25 [8 pints] and still pay for the taxi or spend €3 on the taxi to head into town to Mollies for 8 pints as well.

Figures don't add up I'm afraid; The Lodge will go out of business as this rate.

I don't particularly want it to turn into a 2:50/3 euro drink club either, mostly because of the problems that come along with it. I really hope a compromise is found soon.

As opposed to the problems that come with people downing naggins outside, arriving in relatively sober and becoming legless in there. Much of a muchness as far as I'm concerned.
    By the way, no-one, absolutely no-one has attempted to actually talk to management. There is no-one from the students that can be talked to if some kind of a deal were ever to be reached. I'm just theorycrafting but if no-one steps up it could be hit and miss if the prices etc are changed again. Wouldn't hurt if ye put a face to your crusade.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Virtually no communication from The Lodge end [I presume the Management have some say in the FB page] aside from a desperately poor PR statement and another f-you in disguise with "see you all Sunday night comment". They've deleted comments [which is absolutely fair enough as some of them are way OTT] and pretty much ignored the issue. At the end of the day its not for us, the students, to attempt to reason with them about the perils of the current business strategy - it's up to them to try to market the place to get the customers in. And to be quite honest the numbers through the door in the coming weeks will show them that.

You're completely right.
    Except for the last part, the difference is the dance license afaik. Which probably adds a considerable amount to opening cost.

€1,680 per week for both.

Insurance will be more expensive alright but shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

there is roughly 5-8 hours total each day put in by staff before the place even opens.
    Words can't even. I'll try put this as nicely as possible.
    When I say 8 hours that can be spread among 3 staff.
    You are either
    1 - trollololol
    2 - Not all that bright...at all.
    I suggest you stop trolling. This has turned into some sort of discussion, would be best if you stopped pissing in it.

grand i misundertood you but you should have just said man hours then shouldn't you? or said that staff get there 2/3 hours early or stay 2/3 hours late to do stock and clean up instead of trying to make it sound like the lodge is paying staff for a full days work before the place even opens
    I don't particularly want it to turn into a 2:50/3 euro drink club either, mostly because of the problems that come along with it.

thats just a ridicolous comment. what problems would those be? mollys serves 3euro pints, 2 for one cocktails, pitcher for however much and is a far nicer place to be then the lodge(usually) what problems have those offers brought to mollys?
    And to be quite honest the numbers through the door in the coming weeks will show them that.

i really hope students put their money were there mouth is. i know one club im on the committee of is having a debate about weather to cancel a night in the lodge they are meant to be having or try to force it through and its about a 50-50 split on the committee. hopefully they side to tell the lodge politely ' sorry but we cant in good conscience try and sell tickets to your place when your trying to screw our members so badly' or something along those lines that wont burn bridges in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

BS. If they were going to close they'd have to ride the price increase out a while and see if it affected business. This is a pathetic PR stunt, and I've said the same on that announcement. Whoever is doing their PR is about as smart as dead puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

PeakOutput wrote: »
    thats just a ridicolous comment. what problems would those be? mollys serves 3euro pints, 2 for one cocktails, pitcher for however much and is a far nicer place to be then the lodge(usually) what problems have those offers brought to mollys?

regular vandalism and violence on the street outside. Midweek nights it is not advisable to park your car anywhere near. I've seen bins uprooted, windscreens smashed, guys dancing on cars. Doesnt seem to happen outside the other bars in town.

Advertisement