Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lodge (now €7 in and free class nights gone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bit of a strange one. Can only think it's one of two things;

[a] A ploy to fill the place for Thursday and then continue on as usual - that would engender some amount of bad will toward the place if that was the strategy.

The place has been struggling and was going to close anyway; the increase in prices being the last atttempt to save it.

All the same, while I'd say the crowds have been shit since the facebook storm took off, it'd hardly be enough to sink the place after a week.

zuroph wrote: »
    regular vandalism and violence on the street outside. Midweek nights it is not advisable to park your car anywhere near. I've seen bins uprooted, windscreens smashed, guys dancing on cars. Doesnt seem to happen outside the other bars in town.

More of a Garda presence in town tbf. They're always going up and down the streets around Icon/Mollies/Trinity/Angel Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

cson wrote: »
    More of a Garda presence in town tbf. They're always going up and down the streets around Icon/Mollies/Trinity/Angel Lane.

i was talking about outside Mollys?? theres cops sure, but i've compared weeknights to weekends, and its a different world in antisocial behaviour, most of which seems to spill out from mollies.

cson wrote: »
    All the same, while I'd say the crowds have been shit since the facebook storm took off, it'd hardly be enough to sink the place after a week.

exactly, its BS. Theres no way they wouldnt just say "sure lets just ride it out and see what happens" instead of "well you heard them, they said they wont come, lets just close, even though we have all this stock, and employees, and dont even KNOW what the numbers will be like...

Its extremely embarrassing for them.

i was talking about outside Mollys?? theres cops sure, but i've compared weeknights to weekends, and its a different world in antisocial behaviour, most of which seems to spill out from mollies.

Oh right, thought you were talking about outside The Lodge.

The Cops are always there in the 'Armed Response Unit' Volvo anytime I'm there during the week. All the same I see where you're coming from having been out during the week and at weekends - the latter tend to have the older working types out hence the lack of that type of **** happening whereas during the week its mainly immature students who drink themselves into ****e and engage in that sort of behaviour.

• Advertisement

exactly, its BS. Theres no way they wouldnt just say "sure lets just ride it out and see what happens" instead of "well you heard them, they said they wont come, lets just close, even though we have all this stock, and employees, and dont even KNOW what the numbers will be like...

Its extremely embarrassing for them.

Well it's been a textbook example of how not to conduct yourself PR wise. They're more stupid advertising the price increase on the FB page therefore creating the **** storm that's decimated their crowds. Chances are if they'd quietly kept the charges they might lose a few and people might be pissed off but I'd hazard a guess they'd still get crowds. You can't really underestimate the power of facebook to mobilize a movement for or against a particular thing; they did and they've reaped what they've sowed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Does anyone else get the feeling its the hotel thats fcuked and the price increases were an attempt to keep the entire outfit (hotel + club) afloat? It never struck me as a hotel that would do particularly well.

And does anyone know if its actually legal to let full time staff go with 2 days notice? I'm presuming the drink supplies could just be transferred to the hotel bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

im actually gutted if there gone!!!!! but surely they can reinvent themselves?? ragg week only around the corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

im actually gutted if there gone!!!!! but surely they can reinvent themselves?? ragg week only around the corner!!

Yeah that a good point. Closing 3 weeks before Rag week would be utter stupidity in its finest form. Surely if they were closing they would wait until that week and be packed to the rafters to finish up. No, I too am starting to think it's a stunt

It's a stunt. As a comment on the FB page said; if you ran it properly it'd be a goldmine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

its definitely a stunt but i wouldn't be particularly sorry if it wasn't, maybe someone with a bit of sense will take over the place and turn it into the goldmine it could be

i was at a house party tonight near the lodge and everyone had planned to go into town, the taxi driver on the way in told us that the place was full and we probably wouldn't get in anywhere. one person said **** it sure we will hit the lodge and the other 7 people shouted them down and said **** that we will go back to the house and party there instead of paying them that entry fee.

i was suprised it had affected peoples opinions that much

edit; actualy i do think there is a plausible option c and that is they might close for the rest of the semester in the hope that the students will 'realise what they are missing' and then when everything has blown over they will reopen in september for the new semester with the new prices

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

regular vandalism and violence on the street outside. Midweek nights it is not advisable to park your car anywhere near. I've seen bins uprooted, windscreens smashed, guys dancing on cars. Doesnt seem to happen outside the other bars in town.
    Speaking as someone who lives in the city centre, it happens outside a few. Not just outside the bars themselves either, plenty of bad behaviour on the regular streets. There's a view among some of the Castletroy residents that they have it worse than anywhere else and frankly, that's a myth. The weekend nights in the city centre can have plenty of people climbing over cars, bins tossed around, people urinating into basements and damage done. I remember to close my windows tbh. Solves quite a lot, though I live a few floors up.

With moderator hat on, I'd like to remind everyone that forum members should be allowed to post without people questioning their intelligence, motives or accusing them of trolling. There's been a bit of it (not in recent posts mind you) and politeness is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

People have to remember the lodge is open more than 15 years and the same management is in place. It always was a successfull model and there is a lot more to it than "the lodge is gouging students".

It's pretty obvious (even with my limited business sense) that if the lodge wants to continue to function as a student nightclub things have to change and the next week will bring about some changes, one way or the other.

Survival of the fittest. I've done a nice bit of barwork, some in good places and some in bad. If the Lodge tried, it'd save itself. All this drama is worse than 'Mean Girls'!! It's a totaly joke, any respect I ever had for their management team is now gone. It's not easy running a club like the lodge but with the right team the place could be a total gold mine instead of haemorrhage money.

Firstly let me say that I genuinely have sympathy for you losing your job.

Secondly, if one week of bad publicity [it only started last Tuesday iirc] is enough to close the place then it's quite likely the intent was to close it anyway as the place was struggling - the higher prices being the one last roll of the dice.

There's a lot more to this than just the students complaining on FB. It would not surprise me if a Liquidator/Receiver was hovering somewhere in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Hey guys,

Quick post because I'm in the midst of a session and want to quell some rumours.

#1 - Yes, we are closing. We got our letters of termination tonight. For all those wondering if its a PR stunt, kindly piss off. Roughly 30 people got laid off tonight.

#2 - Yes, thursday is our last night open to the public.

#3 - Thanks so much to all the students that continued to show their support, it means a lot to all of us, at the end of the day you payed our wages and we're very gratefull.

I'm sad that the lodge is closing but at the end of the day, life goes on and that goes for everyone. Best of luck to all students in UL, LIT and MaryI from the staff in the Lodge. We'll miss ye a lot more than ye'll miss us!

*If anyone doesn't believe me I'll scan a picture of the letter of termination with appropriate names blacked out.

Peace bitches!

Is it true they are turning it into a gym?

there isn't a hope that this is down to some students giving out on facebook. Whoever updates your fb page is a disaster, and as a parting shot pointed the finger of blame the wrong way. Embarrassing way to end. Sorry you lost your job, but i hope you realise this was obviously in the pipeline long before the last weeks saga. I mean, closing a few weeks before rag week?? Idiotic stuff.

The only night club in an area with 13,000 students and it seemingly can't make money. There's something not quite right there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Seems like the Hurlers have managed to "Ryanair" The Lodge out of business. Their recent low offers will probably disappear now as they'll have a monopoly.

i heard today that the hurlers were refused their late licence for thursdays by the gardai i dont know if its just a rumour though

also last night was meant to be the 'closing down party' in the hurlers but the place was desolate anytime i walked by it so im not sure if they are as popular an alternative as they are trying to make out

i think people are just seeing better value in going to town and i think the stables could be in the best position to capitalise on the lodge going under if they can weasle a few more late licences from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i heard today that the hurlers were refused their late licence for thursdays by the gardai i dont know if its just a rumour though

also last night was meant to be the 'closing down party' in the hurlers but the place was desolate anytime i walked by it so im not sure if they are as popular an alternative as they are trying to make out

i think people are just seeing better value in going to town and i think the stables could be in the best position to capitalise on the lodge going under if they can weasle a few more late licences from somewhere

yeah that's on their facebook page about the late license. I can't see their new popularity lasting to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

A sad day if it is true. JUst saw the lodge page on facebook, i have no problem with people saying its wrong, but there was a lot of bad taste in them which left a lot to be desired.

people never cease to amaze me

in this country there are constant complaints that things are unchangeable because the powerfull business people are in control and they ruled the world and everyone else is just victims and thats that

then when people get together and actually make something happen they get criticised for being too harsh or being in bad taste.

grand its too bad they have to close but the sole reason for it is its clearly being badly run

its sad that people lost their jobs but the only people they have to blame are their employers

i know entry fees to a club is a minor thing but its good that people had the bottle to stand up and put their money were their mouth is.

i think the fact they are apparently contemplating opening a gym less then a mile away from the best sporting facility in the country says a lot about their business acumen as does closing a few weeks before their busiest week of the year. i would be very suprised if they were not back trying to peddle 7 euro nights next september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

PeakOutput wrote: »
    people never cease to amaze me

in this country there are constant complaints that things are unchangeable because the powerfull business people are in control and they ruled the world and everyone else is just victims and thats that

then when people get together and actually make something happen they get criticised for being too harsh or being in bad taste.

There's a difference between making your point and some of the vitriol that was posted on that Facebook page which was most definitely in bad taste.

rmacm wrote: »
    There's a difference between making your point and some of the vitriol that was posted on that Facebook page which was most definitely in bad taste.

there was plenty of personal attacks going on thats for sure but a lot of it was deleted and while it is obviously preferential to be even keeled and polite when making any point i think the fact that the students independantly got behind this and caused the **** storm they did should be celebrated as i think standing up for yourself like that is very important

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

It's not being turned into a gym either, lol. Whoever makes up these rumours should get a medal.

Sorry for further spreding it :o. But what are they doing with the space? Or are they just opening up in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NFL

pajunior wrote: »
    Sorry for further spreding it :o. But what are they doing with the space? Or are they just opening up in September?

Its part of the lodge hotel, its just going to be used for weddings and special occasions now.................well until they reopen for rag week

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Lodge COULD be so much better! Redo it up, to make it look someway nice and have same price drinks as Mollies... Hello Goldrush much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Frolick wrote: »
    Lodge COULD be so much better! Redo it up, to make it look someway nice and have same price drinks as Mollies... Hello Goldrush much?
    I hope you realise renovations cost money = means charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Its a shame its gone, I had many a good night in there in my youth. Many times I did say that "you can't go to the lodge sober" and in truth you couldn't, it would be that bad.

Anyway, to be honest the following was the first thing I thought of:-

Anyone want to take a punt on hiring the downstairs part for RAG Week?

Employees:- A few college students (volunteers if possible - few quid at the end of the night).
    Food:- Mr Tayto/King/Aldi nuts (they taste the exact same as HP)
    Drink:- Musgraves discount card - loads of coke/7up/Orange Juice ;) etc, No alcohol - obviously (no licence but then again students bring their own - its not illegal and we do it anyway).
    Music:- Anyone know anyone whos any good and cheap - Maybe Music soc/Dj soc/anyone good from UL could get involved (I can think of a good few people). Same thing again like - few quid at the end depending on if any money is made at all.
    Marketing - I dunno ......... recession session is over done!!
    CHARITY RAG NITE - The night created by UL students for UL students .......... any profits go to charity (feck it at this stage I'm thinking social experiment)!!! i.e. would a non alcoholic venue actually work *hmmm, note to self - possible thesis topic :rolleyes:.

Income:- Usual stuff €2 entry, €1 cloak room (feck the per item thing)(per person - its cold/wet and seriously had my jumper swiped enough times in there), depending on the cost of coke and stuff (2 litre bottles and stuff to make it cheaper - get a pint for a euro)

Cost to get in:- €2 (Depending on costs of course).

Do the place up a bit??

Am I going mad????????

• Advertisement

djcr its a good idea but i imagine they would rape you on rental price for the venue

whats the capacity of the place 500?

Advertisement