Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election posters

• 02-02-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

So its that time again, and my favourite pet peeve is back... Election posters on the overhead bridges on the motorway. In some areas of the country this is illegal, in all areas its frowned upon. For clarification, I rang LCC to see what their position was on it. I got through to the environment dept, who informed me that while there is no environment byelaw on these, the road department are actively removing these on being reported, as they pose several safety issues, including distraction, and risk of falling.

So,

PETER POWER
    MAURICE QUINLIVAN
    KIERAN O DONNELL

Please remove your posters ASAP.As someone who drives a lot of miles a week, I will not vote for anyone who shows such a blatent disregard for the publics safety.

To the boardsies on here, I say challenge them on the doorsteps about it!

I do note that Jan o Sullivan and Willie O Dea seemed to avoid putting them on the overhead bridges to date.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Have a hankering to daub PP and WOD's posters with Final Failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

if the logo was big enought o read then maybe you'd be on to something there! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

zuroph wrote: »
    So its that time again, and my favourite pet peeve is back... Election posters on the overhead bridges on the motorway. In some areas of the country this is illegal, in all areas its frowned upon. For clarification, I rang LCC to see what their position was on it. I got through to the environment dept, who informed me that while there is no environment byelaw on these, the road department are actively removing these on being reported, as they pose several safety issues, including distraction, and risk of falling.

So,

PETER POWER
    MAURICE QUINLIVAN
    KIERAN O DONNELL

Please remove your posters ASAP.As someone who drives a lot of miles a week, I will not vote for anyone who shows such a blatent disregard for the publics safety.

I do note that Jan o Sullivan and Willie O Dea seemed to avoid putting them on the overhead bridges to date.

His people have not avoided putting his posters on road signage on roundabouts though and at eye level of motorists entering roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Kess73 wrote: »
    His people have not avoided putting his posters on road signage on roundabouts though and at eye level of motorists entering roundabouts.

Thats because he cant reach any higher!

NARF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I tend to also remember someone mentioning Willie as benny hill?

http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=GMc9b-iKVVc

• Advertisement

its true, I saw quite a lot on roundabouts, and the lady I spoke to told me they wish to remove these also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

So,

PETER POWER
    MAURICE QUINLIVAN
    KIERAN O DONNELL

I totally agree. During the last election, one of these boards ended up on the road, a gust of wind blew it onto the windscreen of a car, the poor fella braked and another car with a trailer couldn't stop, hit him and the car crashed into oncoming traffic. six injured, four cars damaged, loads of road delays and trauma to the people in the cars. Did our politicians care....NO.
    the Irish people are not stupid nor ignorant, so we do not need posters and billboards wasting our money and patronising us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Heading to work yesterday both PETER POWER and JOE LEDDIN both had posters plastered all over the railings of a pedestrian crossing. Was going to write to both of them cc’ign LCC to get them removed but didn’t find time through out the day.

Got home last night and they were gone. Obviously other people must have noticed that they blocked the view of any child using the crossing and must have complained before I got the chance.

So

PETER POWER
    JOE LEDDIN

Do not put children’s lives at risk by putting poster on pedestrian crossings (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Zuroph, your a magician! New trick idea for yeah, Make the posters and the person on them DISAPPEAR! I'd pay to see that one :D

I'm holding out for Norris to get the presidency so I can update my webiste to say I performed for the President of Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I intend to acquire a few of these posters and hold onto them until the next snowfall.

Election posters + can of pledge + steep hill= Hours of fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Was on the M7 motorway today (joined it at Finnegans roundabout) and there were quite a few posters on the bridges over the motorway, certainly as far as the turn off for the N20.

The roundabout at Finnegans is a disgrace with posters - it was plastered with them at around 1.30pm today and all at eye level or just above - HIGHLY dangerous.

There should be some sort of law (bye-law) that prohibits the positioning of posters, etc at road junctions, pedestrian crossings, school/hospital entrances, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Was on the M7 motorway today (joined it at Finnegans roundabout) and there were quite a few posters on the bridges over the motorway, certainly as far as the turn off for the N20.

The roundabout at Finnegans is a disgrace with posters - it was plastered with them at around 1.30pm today and all at eye level or just above - HIGHLY dangerous.

There should be some sort of law (bye-law) that prohibits the positioning of posters, etc at road junctions, pedestrian crossings, school/hospital entrances, etc.

Email candidate and LCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jeez they went up pretty fast didnt they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Was stopped at the lights on the Tipperary road this evening, and was quite scared by Eamonn Gilmore staring down at me for a couple of minutes. Thought those lights would never change! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm holding out for Norris to get the presidency so I can update my webiste to say I performed for the President of Ireland :)

You performed for Chuck Norris? :eek:

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jeez they went up pretty fast didnt they?

I was out on Tuesday within, I'd say 15 minutes of the Dail being adjourned (Cowen hadn't even gone to the Park at this stage) and there was already posters up!

power put his up last weekend.

power put his up last weekend.

If you'd have noted where they were, he could have been fined fairly heavily:

http://www.thejournal.ie/department-insists-early-election-posters-are-illegal-2011-1/

Interesting article!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Was stopped at the lights on the Tipperary road this evening, and was quite scared by Eamonn Gilmore staring down at me for a couple of minutes. Thought those lights would never change! :eek:

Yea there is something very 1970s Eastern European Great Leader about the paternal stare. But then again he claims he never...... "inhaled" for want of a better word.

Specsavers should get some of the Power/O'Dea posters. If you can read Fianna Fail you definately don't need glasses.

And I saw some posters of Kieran O'Donnell. I was afraid he had died 3 years ago but no he's held up well for a man who must have been trapped behind a stack of ballot boxes since the last election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Hate election posters,
    Think its a waste of money putting up posters of peoples names
    and faces in the hopes that somehow it will magically get them more votes.

I would love to see evidence how they actually work out
    IF and how effective putting them up Vs not putting them up at all
    works when it comes to influencing peoples minds on how
    they are going to vote.

They put them up lightning fast Wednesday evening near me,
    They were almost jogging from post to post with them racing to get their's up before the competition. Two separate vans on my way home. One guy ran out in front of my bike and nearly hit me with a huge poster of some Politician I had never heard of sticking them up at the roundabout near Southcourt Hotel Grrr.

Cycling up to work this morning I counted 8-9 O'Dea and Noonan posters
    in the ditch blown down from the wind.

Still though they have their uses, like construction of a Kill house
    at the local airsofting site :D The heads were a little large to use as
    targets but they appeared to make great roofing material being waterproof!

LAC090509674.jpg

Anyone in the Dooradoyle/Ballykeefe/Fr Russell road are might
    want to print out a copy of this, and ask where's our park!
    Pump millions into regeneration (regeneration regeneration even)
    and they cant spare a bit of Grass for a park! And even when more
    details were released for this fictional park it involved plans to build more houses around it!!
    park.jpg

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i got a slap of a poster by peter power yestrday while out walking my dog i should have picked it up bought it back 2mine and hit him a slap of it when he calls 2 my door :pac:

seriously tho they should put them up right and and avoid injury to people my hand is actuaally bruised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Delphi91 wrote: »
    If you'd have noted where they were, he could have been fined fairly heavily:

http://www.thejournal.ie/department-insists-early-election-posters-are-illegal-2011-1/

Interesting article!

I think the loop hole is having a poster that doesn't mention the word "Vote" and I'm fairly sure the ones put up early by Peter Power had just his picture and name.

phog wrote: »
    I think the loop hole is having a poster that doesn't mention the word "Vote" and I'm fairly sure the ones put up early by Peter Power had just his picture and name.

That's typical of Ireland - there's always a loophole, and given that it's politicians that vote through the legislation, you can be sure that it will be phrased in such a way as to have that loophole.

Political posters should be banned, full-stop. They serve no purpose whatsoever, apart from littering the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Posters are bit of a nightmare around the place,there is a lot of the on the roads here in dooradoyle,blown down from the high winds.
    Last night i saw a maurice quinlivan poster break free from a pole and hit a woman on the head outside bellissimo on the dock road.

The loophole is Powers posters went up on Sunday... theres no1 in the council to report them to on a Sunday. The election was called monday morning. A local nightclub used the loophole at the last referendum to put up posters over the weekend, removing them on sunday night.

Rang Peter Powers office about the motorway posters. Brian Stokes returned my call, and assured me that they would be removed. I note this evening that all the posters from the tipp interchange have been removed, and also a number of low poster at newport roundabout. If the road department removed them, they should have a bit more cop on, the finnegans junction island is now littered with snipped cable ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Council were removing posters from Finnegans Roundabout(which was pretty bad) and the flyover at Tipperary road.

They are not very well secured to be fair. Surely a gust of wind shouldnt snap a pair of tie wraps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Fine Geals poster hangers are either less skilled or are using cheaper cable ties, vast majority of the posters i saw blowing around limerick today were Noonans.
    They're lethal if you hit them on a motorbike or bicycle, especially in the wet.

The loophole is Powers posters went up on Sunday... theres no1 in the council to report them to on a Sunday. The election was called monday morning. A local nightclub used the loophole at the last referendum to put up posters over the weekend, removing them on sunday night.

Dail was not dissolved until Tuesday afternoon.

Election posters can only be put up once the polling order for the elections has been issued, confirming when the polling date of the elections would be.

That is only issued when the writ for the elections has been moved by the Clerk of the Dáil, who in turn only issues the writ when the Dáil has been dissolved. I watched it on TV until the Dail was adjourned, at which point Cowen went to the Aras to get the President to dissolve the Dail. I presume it's not officially dissolved until she signs the paperwork. Therefore if Power's posters that went up on Sunday or Monday or even Tuesday until mid-afternoon did give a suggestion of voting, they were illegal. I haven't seen any of his that do not mention "Vote 1" on them. I doubt he replaced them all once the election was official. He's definitely keen to get elected - got his election bumf with the post today!

Just noticed something today - Willie seems to have two types of posters up. One of them looks like he's making a major effort to distance himself from FF - the only reference to FF is a tiny FF harp in the bottom left corner. Granted the other one has FF across the middle of it in a banner.

As for posters falling and doing damage, I heard on the radio this evening of a woman who claims to have been hit by one on Dublin and had to get 14 stitches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Delighted to see half of them come down in the gusts today :D

Advertisement