Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to Door Electorial Campaigners

Options
  • 02-02-2011 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right area to post, anyway my gripe is with electorial campaigners calling to houses late in the evening. Last night campaigners for Labour's Aidan Culhane called to my house around 9:20pm, I was out at the time - my wife was feeding our week old newborn and our other children (age 6 & 3) were in bed asleep until these feckers rang the bell a couple of times. By the time my wife got to the door they had pushed their flyer's through the door and disappeared down the road.

If they had opened their eyes they would had seen the car parked outside the door had child seats in the back and a 'Baby on Board' sticker in the back window - which would had given an indication that there were small children in the house. Someone with an ounce of cop-on would had known ringing the doorbell (not just once but twice in succession - like it was a emergency) was not a good idea at twenty past nine at night.

I realise they have to do the door to door campaign, but for me it is acceptable up to 8pm in the evening maybe at a push 8:30pm, but anything beyond that time is out of bounds! Is there a protocol for door to door campaignes? Or is it a free for all, suppose they've got regulations for just about everything else, except when it comes to themselves!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I had the exact same thing happen last time to me. I was upstairs reading a book to my 3 & 5 year old and my wife was downstairs with the 1 year old.

Difference was, I got downstairs to them. Said exactly as you have written! Pointed out that there is a car in the driveway with 3 child seats and a Child on Board (see no one pays attention to these :) ) sign, said it might be an indication that there are kids in the house and at the time they were calling might have been bed time!

They did say that after they rang the bell and waited that they twigged what was going on, apologised a lot and then asked if I wanted a flyer :eek:

Unfortunately they need to be out campaigning and evening time is the best time to start to get to talk to voters who may be in work until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I have had no one yet except Sinn Féin,have to say proper polite.They knocked on the door once and didnt ring the bell.I duly noted that also.

I hope the rest of them forget my door :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I thought that they couldnt canvas after 9 pm.

I have to say any time Sinn Fein have called they are very polite, I dont vote for them but its nice to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I put a notice on my porch door "No election canvassers or political party representatives, thank you"

I havnt had one caller........happy days !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I put a notice on my porch door "No election canvassers or political party representatives, thank you"

I havnt had one caller........happy days !

I have had only one so far and was SF luckily for me.Happy days the rest havent bothered and that was without any notices on my door.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I don't mind them calling and I have had a few calls already but everyone that has called has been at the door before 8. I think if they were to knock on my door after 9 i would be very angry. I dont mind them calling before 8 - 830 but certainly after 9 is not on.

I don't mind them calling and I have had a few calls already but everyone that has called has been at the door before 8. I think if they were to knock on my door after 9 i would be very angry. I dont mind them calling before 8 - 830 but certainly after 9 is not on.
    I've not had them all but ive noticed that the greens dont knock they just leave a leaflet. Sinn Fein knock and are quite pleasant but they dont really talk policy they just have a chat. Fine fail have a brass neck, i dont know whether to admire this or run them. So far i feel Labour are all mouth. Not had any dealing with Enda's lot yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I had FF bast*rds knock at my door tonight unfortunately it was nearly 9pm and i was upstairs getting the little fella fed and asleep however did manage to race down the stairs only to find a flyer in the letterbox pity as my annoyance at that moment was not the **** they have made of the country the last 14years but that they hammered down my door waking my baby and then did a disappearing act :mad:

edellc wrote: »
    not the **** they have made of the country the last 14years :mad:
    Just to start off i am NOT a fine failer but its funny the way people talk about how bad fine fail where in the last 14 years , 4 years ago people would have been talking about how good the last 10 years where. I honestly think no matter what party was in government we would be in a similar position but saying that FF wont get my vote as they where in charge. Politics is very fickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Just to start off i am NOT a fine failer but its funny the way people talk about how bad fine fail where in the last 14 years , 4 years ago people would have been talking about how good the last 10 years where. I honestly think no matter what party was in government we would be in a similar position but saying that FF wont get my vote as they where in charge. Politics is very fickle.

FYI NOT ME I have never voted FF and never will and 4 years ago I really thought ppl would see what a mess was coming our way (and dont say it wasnt obvious because it was you cant give out 100% or 120% mortgages and not expect a bumpy ride) and for a moment there it did look like we would have a new government but sadly that wasnt to be and the blue rinses and fat cats and farmers and everyone else without a brain cell voted them in again even though Bertie was in the middle of a tribunal about his finances but hey what did that matter

and now look at the mess we are in and to make matters worse FG and Labour will not improve it (they cant stop bickering at the minute and they are only at the campaign stage how could they ever work together in govenment) so it doesnt matter who is in government Ollie Rein is the person running our country for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement

edellc wrote: »
    FYI NOT ME I have never voted FF and never will and 4 years ago I really thought ppl would see what a mess was coming our way (and dont say it wasnt obvious because it was you cant give out 100% or 120% mortgages and not expect a bumpy ride) and for a moment there it did look like we would have a new government but sadly that wasnt to be and the blue rinses and fat cats and farmers and everyone else without a brain cell voted them in again even though Bertie was in the middle of a tribunal about his finances but hey what did that matter

and now look at the mess we are in and to make matters worse FG and Labour will not improve it (they cant stop bickering at the minute and they are only at the campaign stage how could they ever work together in govenment) so it doesnt matter who is in government Ollie Rein is the person running our country for the foreseeable future

Sorry i was not pointing the finger at you, just people in general. I also told people 4 or 5 years ago the bubble would burst. These people are now denying they advised me to buy a house or that i even predicted the bubble would burst. As i say i am no expert and i saw it a mile off and none of these people that will run our country did. total joke.

I think we should adopt the American system. I thought it was crazy for years but the more i look at it, it isnt. You elect your leader in a straight contest, then he/she picks their ministers regardless of there party. It means someone that knows economics or someone that knows justice can run these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I think we should adopt the American system. I thought it was crazy for years but the more i look at it, it isnt. You elect your leader in a straight contest, then he/she picks their ministers regardless of there party. It means someone that knows economics or someone that knows justice can run these things.

I actually think the US and French method of separating the executive and legislature is an excellent idea in theory but it certainly has some flaws, mainly if the president is of a different party to the one that holds a majority in parliament which results in nothing getting done. Anyway, if you could sort out that flaw, I agree it would be an excellent idea.

Only problem with that way of doing things is that in Ireland it would almost certainly lead to the usual 'jobs for the boys' with friends of the elected being appointed. You'd have to figure out some way of preventing that happening.

Advertisement