Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fit/crimp these TV co ax connectors??

Options
  • 02-02-2011 6:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How do you fit or crimp on these co ax connectors?

Anyone here done it or know where I can buy them and how to fit them??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They can be got in crimp on or twist on connectors. Look up twist on or crimp on coax connectors on youtube and it might have videos. SMA connectors i think they are called.

Crimp type
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25c__fQqhLo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

They are sky box connections your local electrical wholesaler should them after that as robbie said check youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

These are low loss twist "F" connectors and are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭amovingstatue

they're called f connectors, the ones pictured connected to the splitter are crimped with a tool, the screw on ones are more time consuming to fit but don't require a tool

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

Yea its SMA ones i used on video transmitter receivers for radio control flying stuff, they are a bit smaller i think, similar fitting methods though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Most hardware stores will sell f-type screw on connectors, power city also have them.

There's lots of videos on you tube about how to fit them. They need to be a tight fit for the threads to work. Although with the last ones I went to do the cable diameter was slightly too big. So I stripped the outer sheet back more than needed and wrapped the cable with insulation tape to make a thinner outer sheet, worked a treat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So are the ones that are crimped on better than the push/screw on fittings?

And is the crimper tool expensive?

If your only doing a few of them, use the screw on ones, they are actually quite good, really grip the cable (I was surprised).

You need a ratchet crimper and they aren't cheap, but if your doing lots of them each day probably a better/quicker job.

In terms of signal quality they should both be the same, but I'm open to correction on that...

If your only doing a few of them, use the screw on ones, they are actually quite good, really grip the cable (I was surprised).

You need a ratchet crimper and they aren't cheap, but if your doing lots of them each day probably a better/quicker job.

In terms of signal quality they should both be the same, but I'm open to correction on that...

Only have 8 co ax cables to do in my house,and thats it.

Just go with the twist on ones, they are much better than the ones we used to use for domestic co-ax.

Also the twist on ones can be used on over and over again. Just get an f type connector and an off cut of co ax and you can practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

The connectors shown in the second pic are compression F connectors. By using these as opposed to the screw on F connectors you will receive the a much more secure connection. They are available from most Satalite suppliers, however, you will need a compression tool which cost about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Guide to F connector compression
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHLG4QdyZ0

Thanks folks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭amovingstatue

Is there any way of sonicing and tracing co-ax cables at each end,so I know I have the same cable at each end?

Thanks.

Just get a continuity tester on a multi meter and short the screen to the centre core at one end and test with the tester at the other end to identify each cable if the cables are in already. If pulling new ones then mark with tapes as you pull them in.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Just get a continuity tester on a multi meter and short the screen to the centre core at one end and test with the tester at the other end to identify each cable if the cables are in already. If pulling new ones then mark with tapes as you pull them in.

The "genius" of an electrician never bothered to number or label the co-ax cables as he was pulling them to the various locations in the house.:rolleyes:

I have a sonic tester here,that I use on Cat5 and 6 cables,so would that do the job for tracing the ends of the co ax?

I presume you mean to wrap the outer braided shield around the centre core to short it??

paddy147 wrote: »
    The "genius" of an electrician never bothered to number or label the co-ax cables as he was pulling them to the various locations in the house.:rolleyes:

I have a sonic tester here,that I use on Cat5 and 6 cables,so would that do the job for tracing the ends of the co ax?

I presume you mean to wrap the outer braided shield around the centre core to short it??

Yes connect the outer braid to the centre core at the remote end and find it at the central point then with the continuity tester across the braid and centre core. Someone to open and close the short would help eliminate any nuisance shorts than can be in the cut ends op cables as the opening and closing short cant be anything except the cable you are testing. If on own just openand retest yourself.

The sonic trace thing should work on the co-ax cables. A type i used before had 2 wires with crocodile clips and you could put one wire onto a core and the other onto the another core of cable you were tracing and the probe would then pick it up at the other end. Or put the 2 oscillator probes onto 2 cores and find the cable that way. So for the co-ax you would probably clip onto braid with one and core with other on the remote end again and find it with the receiver yoke at the central end and keep the core and braid seperate.

Its years since i used one of them occilators but im sure they are still similar so it will be something like above.

The sonic trace thing should work on the co-ax cables. A type i used before had 2 wires with crocodile clips and you could put one wire onto a core and the other onto the another core of cable you were tracing and the probe would then pick it up at the other end..

Thats the exact sonic that I use myself,remote end has the 2 crocodile clips along with an RJ45 plug end,and then theres the sonic probe itself that beeps/buzzes when you find the other end of the cable with the remote attached.

Looks like I,ll have some fun on Saturday morning so,sonicing several co-ax cables around my house.

Thanks again.:)

My current sonic/oscilator.I will use this to trace/bell out the co-ax cables.:)

• Advertisement

If you clamp the red one onto the remote cable end without even striping it but touching the braid and the black clamp onto a socket earth or any earth that might work as well. Might even work not attaching the black to anything. If not then just strip and connect black to screen and red to core.

If you clamp the red one onto the remote cable end without even striping it but touching the braid and the black clamp onto a socket earth or any earth that might work as well. Might even work not attaching the black to anything. If not then just strip and connect black to screen and red to core.

Thanks.

I can be sorting out the co-ax cables,while my girlfriend does some more painting so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

i have f connector crimps and tool if needed. they only work on rg6 coax and better. UPC use the crimps shown in the picture.IF your electrician used poor quality coax your best off using push on f connectors. The crimps are a more robust connection in my opinion, let me know if u need them, am in the west dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

we have a few of those f type crimpers in the job and i was goin to buy one till i found out the price. ive used a lot of the screw in type and never had a problem or had to go back somewhere to fix one. just becarefull of shorts or hairy marys as there known, especially on runs to sky or free to air boxes cause of the voltage.

ps .....get yourself some cable markers if ye havent done so all ready

ps .....get yourself some cable markers if ye havent done so all ready

Whats a cable marker?

Plastic stick on tag or something like that??

paddy147 wrote: »
    Whats a cable marker?

Plastic stick on tag or something like that??

Or white insulating tape, neatly cut with scissors into 2 inch lengths and tape it neatly onto the co-ax along 2 inches of its length, and use permanent marker. Wrap more of the insulating tape around the co-ax overlaping the ends of the piece you attached to stop it coming off. And can tape over it then with selotape to make the label more permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Something like this as a cable labeling kit

I have the same toner kit myself. Just use the crocodile clips.

In domestic situations i would usually just put rings of tape around each cable myself. 1,2,3,4,5 etc, unless there`s loads of cables. Good link to the markers there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

these were the one i was refering to....
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TlSiA3EiL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

these were the one i was refering to....
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TlSiA3EiL.jpg

Funnily enough I have those in my toolbox as well. They're good but they can be a pain in the arse too. Some batches aren't as sticky as you'd like them to be and start to unstick after you've applied them. It can be really annoying if you've got say 1 and 11 in the same cable and one of the 1's on the 11 falls off, that kind of thing.

Also, fingers need to be clean when using them as all the oils and dirt stick to them and make them useless.

Advertisement