Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone in 60 minutes... My 10 mile goal

• 02-02-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Right so, thought I'd start upping the distance and trying to get a bit quicker :)
    I was thinking a log might keep me focused on the goal aswell...

Well here goes... I'm male, 28 and I like long walks in the rain:D

Ive only done two races to date but I'm hooked! In my first race I finished 19th in the Achill ROAR sport and I finished 2nd in the Hunt of a Run 5k.

Im currently running at about 43ish minutes for a 10k, and my goal is to run 10 miles in 60 minutes.

I know its not going to be easy but 7 months ago 2.5 miles was the furthest I could run.

Right, enough of the blah blah blah... lets get running!

P.S. This log is pretty much the result of a post I made a while ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056132153

Thanks to smmoore79 for the tips!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Planned upcoming races:

05/2/11 - Urban trails series: Tymon Park 10K
    13/2/11 - Cupids dash - Marley 10K
    12/3/11 - Urban trails series: Marley 10K
    27/3/11 - Wicklow Gaol break 10K
    09/4/11 - Urban trails series: St. Annes park 8k
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough
    17/5/11 - HellFire duathlon: Cruagh Wood
    28/5/11 - WestWicklowROAR
    14/6/11 - HellFire duathlon: Masseys
    24/7/11 - Dublin 10K
    10/8/11 - AchillROAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Planned upcoming races:

13/2/11 - Cupids dash - Marley 10K
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough
    24/7/11 - Dublin 10K
    10/8/11 - AchillROAR

No 10 milers?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There seems to be a gap on the 20th August. How about the Frank Duffy 10 mile in Phoenix Park? :)
    Some advice though: When you're on the final straight and you get an agonizing stitch in your side, keep going, even if you have to hobble over the finish line.

Krusty (Frank Duffy 10 mile, 60:02).

ecoli wrote: »
    No 10 milers?;)
    How about the Frank Duffy 10 mile in Phoenix Park? :)
    Completely right lads, it wouldnt make much sense in doing this is I wasnt going to race the distance now would it!?
    Krusty (Frank Duffy 10 mile, 60:02).

Cripes man! Got any tips for me??

Day: Thursday
    Time: 11:00
    Pace/type of workout: Tempo run. 2x2x2 miles (7-6:30-7 pace)
    Distance: 10K
    Time: 44 minutes

Right... well that was a disaster! It was one of them runs were everything seems to be against me. The plan was to run 2 miles at 7min/mile, 2 at race pace(6:30) and finish with 2 miles at 7min/mile.

I wasnt in the mood for a run at all (got very little sleep last night) and to make things worse I had the howling winds of doom smashing me in the face for half the run! The first half was fine, did the slow bit then half of the fast bit. But it was when I turned around to run home that things got crap... with the wind in my face my time went from 6:30/mile to 8:00/mile. :mad:

It was a real motivation killer ahead of the 10K race on Saturday. On the plus side - my time of 44 mins is only a couple of mins over my PB - so not all bad.

Note to self:
      is running into the wind as beneficial as running hills? - ask lads on boards.
      If its windy in a race, its windy for everybody - keep going.
      Run later in the day if I dont get much sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Day: Thursday
    Pace/type of workout: Tempo run. 2x2x2 miles (7-6:30-7 pace)
    Distance: 10K
    Time: 44 minutes

Right... well that was a disaster! It was one of them runs were everything seems to be against me. The plan was to run 2 miles at 7min/mile, 2 at race pace(6:30) and finish with 2 miles at 7min/mile.

I wasnt in the mood for a run at all (got very little sleep last night) and to make things worse I had the howling winds of doom smashing me in the face for half the run! The first half was fine, did the slow bit then half of the fast bit. But it was when I turned around to run home that things got crap... with the wind in my face my time went from 6:30/mile to 8:00/mile. :mad:

It was a real motivation killer ahead of the 10K race on Saturday. On the plus side - my time of 44 mins is only a couple of mins over my PB - so not all bad.

Note to self:

• is running into the wind as beneficial as running hills? - ask lads on boards.
    • If its windy in a race, its windy for everybody - keep going.
    • Run later in the day if I dont get much sleep.

that session is too hard two days before a race

make sure your are enjoying training and racing....if you are trying to break 60 in your first year of running, unless your very talented(which you could be) might burn your enthusiasm for the sport. There is a lot of times out there between a 43min 10k and a sub 60 10 mile to hunt

good luck with the log, and good luck in the race on sunday

Cripes man! Got any tips for me??
    Keep running through the stitch. Even when you think all is lost and you've dropped off the pace, keep going.. You never know, you might still be on pace. Keep going. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could even try getting a watch, to see if you could make it under 60 if you kept running. I hear those Garmin yokies are good :D

RayCun wrote: »
    I hear those Garmin yokies are good :D

I have one! Its a great little thing, I wish I got one years ago. I know I'm not the best runner but theres no way I could have gotten to my current level without a garmin :D

RayCun wrote: »
    You could even try getting a watch, to see if you could make it under 60 if you kept running. I hear those Garmin yokies are good :D

Yeah but.. No but....Yeah but.. When you're down to a two second margin over a 10 mile distance, there's no way you can rely on a Garmin for that kind of accuracy!

• Advertisement

Planned upcoming races:

13/2/11 - Cupids dash - Phoenix 10K
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough
    24/7/11 - Dublin 10K
    10/8/11 - AchillROAR

Day: Saturday
    Pace/type of workout: Urban Trails Series ~ Tymon Park
    Distance: 9.5K
    Time: 42:44

......That was tough....

The race started fine, I started with a good spurt and got myself among the first 20 runners. Gradually picked a few places off after around 2 miles. I started too hard though coz after 3 miles I was spent! :( The pace really dropped after that. My race strategy became more about keeping people behind me rather than catchin the people infont of me. After a mile of gasping for breath I settled into a nice rythym but I was isolated in the race - the people ahead of me where a good 200yds ahead of me and there was nobody close behind me (thanks Jesus :D). For the last 2 miles i was in "zombie-mode" just trudging along step-by-step toward the finish.

The course was great though. I recce'd it the previous week and I was VERY surprised by what the course had in store :)

Everybody was in great spirits too. Had a good chat with a nice bloke called Aidan after who gave me some nice advice :D Cheers Aidan

Very happy with my 9th place finish too!:D

Note to self:
    • Start doing longer-than-race runs - to build stamina
    • Do more warm up before races - I was in bits after a few miles today

Next race is next Sunday in Phoenix park so I'll be hittin the bricks this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Cupid dash is on in the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I will follow this one with great interest dude. The best of luck with it, a sub 60 10 miler...no mean feat!

Day: Tuesday 8/2/11
    Pace/type of workout: Slow run
    Distance: 4.25m
    Time: 34:00

Just a slow leg-loosener last night. I had considered doing some intervals because I wasnt super impressed with my pace in the trails race, but I thought I better just take it easy before the race this sunday (similar to what HH has in his pre-race week)

Glad I did, had a great time just boddin' down the road listening to the tunes with a big stupid grin on my face :D

New lunarglides felt a bit weird, maybe they're a touch too big :/

Note to self: Paradice City is deadly for runnin to!

Day: Wednesday 9/2
    Time: 18:00
    Pace/type of workout: 2m slow 2m fast
    Distance: 4m
    Time: ??

Suppose you could call this a tempo run of sorts. Ran with a real easy pace to the GF's had din dins and ran race pace back home. Decided not to do the Cupids Dash on Sunday :( Ah well, Ive a week off college next week so I'll notch up a few miles then to make up for it :)

Day: Sunday 13/2
    Time: 14:00ish
    Pace/type of workout: 6m slow
    Distance: 6m

Had one of the worst hangovers of my life there on sunday... so I did my usual 6mile run but took it easy all the way. Not sure of how fast I was goin as the GF was using my garmin :mad: (oh you better believe she's gettin one for her bday :D) The run helped a wee bit with the hangover too.

I'm beginning to rethink this 10mile goal thing.. the college work is starting to pile up so I might be better off focusing on that and attacking the goal full-on in the summer when I'll have more time. We'll see.

Day: Tuesday 15/2
    Time: 16:30
    Pace/type of workout: Tempo - 10 easy-10 hard-10 easy
    Distance: 4.5m
    Time: 32mins

Went out for a quick tempo run in the rain earlier. After reading up on a couple of half marathon training plans I decided that Im doing too many long runs so Im going to start doing more short runs and at an easier pace.

Anyway, back to today. The first "10 minutes easy" went fine except I was going too fast (7min/mile), and when I tried to up the pace I struggled to keep it around a 6.30min/mile (although when I checked it on the garmin connect site it said I was actually running around a 6min/mile :eek: ) I was pooped after 10 minutes of that so I slowed it down for the last 10 and stuck in some accelerating strides towards the end.

Note to self: I dont know what it is I like about running in the rain but its fun :D

Day: Wednesday 16/2
    Time: 10:00
    Pace/type of workout: 7min/mile run followed by 2m bike
    Distance: 4m (6m w/bike)
    Time: 29:10 (around 40ish w/bike)

Lovely lil run this mornin :) Just took it nice and easy down the length of the east pier in DL and back to glenageary. Lovely views of the sea and DL on the way back. The only thing I didnt enjoy was being able to see the entire length of the pier as I was running it :( - it kinda made it a bit boring. Wasnt windy either which usually puts me off running near the coast.

As soon as I was finished the run I jumped on the bike for a quick 2mile sprint home. The aul legs felt really strong after the run - i wasn't expecting that! Looking forward to my duathlons now!

Note to self:
      The sea looked lovely and calm - maybe a good place for a swim when it gets a bit warmer?
      This workout will be good coming up to the duathlons :)

Day: Thursday 17/2
    Time: 21:45
    Pace/type of workout: Slowish (no watch)
    Distance: 4m

A nice easy jog there last night, took a longer route than usual around the post office and down to Glenageary.

I didnt have the garmin so I'd no idea what pace I was doing which turned out to be great fun because I didnt have the distraction of the watch and trying to stay at a certain pace - I could just bod down the road listening to tunes! :) Must do this type of run (no watch) more often!

The only bad thing was I tripped over something and fell near the end of the run :( didnt hurt much at the time but I'm fair sore this morning.

• Advertisement

Day: Friday 18/2
    Time: 10:00
    Pace/type of workout: 8:15min/mile
    Distance: 2.2m
    Time: 19ish

Just a slow jog home today. I was planning on gettin out and doing some intervals but Im pretty sore from a fall last night so might rest and do them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Will be watching this with interest!!! Am trying to bulk up a little as I am training for someing else but this 10 mile in c. 60minutes looks interesting! :P..

My PB on it to this point is c.68 minutes after bout 8 weeks training....so a year for 60 mins could be interesting :P

Will be watching this with interest!!! Am trying to bulk up a little as I am training for someing else but this 10 mile in c. 60minutes looks interesting! ..
    My PB on it to this point is c.68 minutes after bout 8 weeks training....so a year for 60 mins could be interesting

Cheers! You're well ahead of me though... I havent ran 10 miles yet! :p

Are you following a specific training plan?

Day: Sunday 20/2
    Time: 16:00
    Pace/type of workout: LSR
    Distance: 10m
    Time: 1:30:00

First 10miler! Did it nice and slow, no point in killing myself just yet :D
    Picked a nice aul route taking in deansgrange, monkstown, glenageary, glasthule, dalkey and killiney. stopped a couple of times during the run to stretch (the last time i started upping the distance i strained a tendon in my foot). Got around in 90 minutes which isnt great I know but atleast I know how much I have to do now!

Note to self: Vico road is too long/steep to run down - alter route

Day: Tuesday 22/2
    Time: 20:00
    Pace/type of workout: Tempo run (10mins @9min/mile - 10mins @6.30min/mile - 10mins @9min/mile)
    Distance: 4.2m
    Time: 31mins

Wasnt really in the mood for this, big o'l dinner was hanging around in my belly far too long. Once I got out and running I was grand though.

This tempo run went a lot better than last weeks tempo. I think my week of slow miles (last week) and the 10 miler on Sunday really helped me because I felt so strong and it was so easy to run @ 6.30min/mile pace this week :D I felt like I could have run for miles at that pace and I wasn't gasping for air like I usually am after a while :) Found it kinda hard to slow down for my warm down on the way home too

Cheers! You're well ahead of me though... I havent ran 10 miles yet! :p

Are you following a specific training plan?

Hey,

I was running a much shortened hal higdon marathon training schedule for the DCM 2010..

Other than that atm I am just following my own training programme. A couple of words of advice though which might help you.
    1) Join an athletics club and they can give you guidance at how to achieve your goal.... You need to work on the core and back to aid in improving your stamina

2) Insert a session of speed work or intervals. It will help to increase your speed and knock a minute or two off..... (Get someone who knows what they are talking about to structure this for you, the results will be better that way)

Atm I am very much focused on wieghts and getting my body weight to bout 14.5 stone..... currently sitting at 13.75......

I run two fast 4 km's and a 5 miler most weeks just to maintain a certain level of fitness

Perkina3 wrote: »
    A couple of words of advice though which might help you.
    1) Join an athletics club and they can give you guidance at how to achieve your goal.... You need to work on the core and back to aid in improving your stamina

2) Insert a session of speed work or intervals. It will help to increase your speed and knock a minute or two off..... (Get someone who knows what they are talking about to structure this for you, the results will be better that way)

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately there are no running clubs close to me and I'm not driving :(

But I do try to get some intervals done, I love them (well, actually I hate doing them.. :D) but I can really feel a difference in my running after a couple of sessions of intervals.

Cheers for the tips on core strengthening too, I'll start adding them to my workouts this week.

Best of luck to you bulking up.... Pizza-Hut do a new garlic butter stuffed pizza that could be right up your alley! ;)

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately there are no running clubs close to me and I'm not driving :(

But I do try to get some intervals done, I love them (well, actually I hate doing them.. :D) but I can really feel a difference in my running after a couple of sessions of intervals.

Cheers for the tips on core strengthening too, I'll start adding them to my workouts this week.

Best of luck to you bulking up.... Pizza-Hut do a new garlic butter stuffed pizza that could be right up your alley! ;)

Ah ok well if and when you do move to somewhere there is a running club or when you drive then you should. Otherwise use boards as a stepping stone as there is an awful lot of knowledgable ppl on here....... Most know a hell of a lot more than m!!!

No hassle mate.... and yeah I find that the mizzoni mega wheel does a better job lol...... Though I am not trying to bulk up like that....Jus get to 14.5s in lean muscle..... Bulked up 12lbs already but sure you would barely notice like.... may need to hit 15s to get what I want.... bear in mind I am 6'4" and pretty broad lol

Day: Thursday 24/2
    Time: 20:00
    Pace/type of workout: Slow(ish) run
    Distance: 4.4m
    Time: 31mins

Grand lil slow run on the roads. Tried to keep it around a 9min/mile but according to the garmin site i did a 7.30min/mile average :eek:

Intervals today, gonna be fun on the bun!

• Advertisement

Day: Friday 25/2
    Time: 16:30
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals - 4x6 laps @ 6:30min/mile pace
    Distance: 6m
    Time: 38mins

The more I do intervals the more manageable they get. I have been slowly building up my number of laps week by week, I'm up to 6 laps now so thats a mile and a half per interval. Did 4x6 laps @ 6:30min/mile pace and didnt find it too hard. Mite keep it at 6 laps for the next couple of weeks then try up it to 8 laps per interval.

Advertisement