Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone in 60 minutes... My 10 mile goal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Day: Sunday 27/2
    Time: 13:30
    Pace/type of workout: LSR
    Distance: 10m
    Time: 1:18:48

Did my second 10 miler today :D I followed the same route as last week but I had the garmin this time. Glad I did because when I thought I was about half way into the run I looked at the watch and it said I had done 7 miles!! :confused: so I turned back and took a short cut home to make it 10 miles. If I had of continued on on my planned route that I did last week I'd estimate that I ran 13 miles :confused:

Anyways, found this run very enjoyable. Though I do find it hard sometimes to slow down to my target pace. So the aul legs are a bit sore now. Got around in 1hr and 18 which is a good 11 minutes faster than my previous effort... (if i keep this progress up I'll have reached my goal in no time :D) I saw a squirrel as well which made my day.

Really looking forward to the urban trails race in Marlay on the 12th too! :)

Day: Wednesday 2/3
    Time: 16:00
    Pace/type of workout: Tempo (sort of)
    Distance: 6m
    Time: 50ish

Lovely day for a run today :) Sun was shining and wasnt windy.

In prep for next weeks trails race I decided to take a route through the trees that line kilbogget park. Some of the route was perfect, not too many trees but challenging all the same. But most of the route was too thick with trees/bushes to run through at all. I would love to have a regular trail running route close to me but i dunno if its worth my time cutting away all them bushes :( But I will do this route more often coz running on grass is no preparation for running on trails

When i had had enough of the tree's I sped up to 6:30min/mile for 10 mins and then took it easy home

Day: Thursday 3/3
    Time: 11:00
    Pace/type of workout: Run/Bike/Run
    Distance: 8m
    Time: 42mins

Left my bike in Glenageary so I decided to do a lil duathlon training while I was getting it. Ran the 2.2m to the bike @around 6:30min/mile pace. Found the pace a bit tough at the start but I settled into it after a while.

On the bike. Took the long way home and did about 4.5miles. Threw the bike in the house and did a quick run around a field near my house. My legs felt weird at the start of the run but it got easier the further I went. I was surprised at my pace too as I was able to keep it around 6:30min/mile pace :)

Day: Friday 4/3
    Time: 9:30
    Pace/type of workout: Cycle
    Distance: 8.5m
    Time: 35mins

Just went out for a quick spin on the bike this morning. Went up around dalkey and killiney, lovely day for it but some of the hills were fierce :eek:

Day: Sunday 6/3
    Time: 16:15
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals (4 X 1.5m @ 6:20min/mile pace)
    Distance: 6m
    Time: 38:16

I was in no mood for intervals today.... forced myself to do them anyway 'cos the Marlay trails race is next Saturday.

Surprised myself by finding 1.5 miles at 6:20 pace rather handy :)

Now rest...

• Advertisement

Day: Tuesday 8/3
    Time: 21:20
    Pace/type of workout: jog @ 7:30min/mile
    Distance: 4m
    Time: 33:53

Just a slow 4m last nite. I haven't been following the HH 10k plan but this is what he recommends the week of a race :D

Bring on Marlay!

Day: Wednesday 9/3
    Time: 17:00
    Pace/type of workout: jog @ 7:30min/mile
    Distance: 3.3m
    Time: 25:25

3 slow miles around the fields in prep for the trails race on Saturday. Feeling sorta tired today though, hope I'm not getting a cold before the race. Another rest day tomorrow so should be grand for Saturday.

Day: Saturday 12/3
    Time of day: 10:00
    Pace/type of workout: Race - Urban Trails Series ~ Marlay Park
    Distance: 10.5K
    Time: 43:20

Yikes that was tough going...

The start of the race was fine, I started well and got up to about 8th position after about a mile and a half. The 7 guys ahead of me were so quick though there was no catching them at all. I must have gone out too fast though because by about 3miles I was really labouring to keep my pace and slipped down to 9th. This was probably a good thing though because I just stuck on the shoulder of the guy in front of me and used him as a pace maker for the rest of the race - I've never looked at a man's arse for so long in my life! :p I surprised myself by having enough in the tank for an all-out sprint towards the finish line.

I really pushed myself during this race, the training im doing is really helping me during the races - I was so close to puking after though! Compared to the race in Tymon Park this race had a more competitive/faster field. So I'm very happy with my second 9th place finish in the Urban trails series! :D:D:D

Note to self:
      Do more longer than 10K runs at race pace
      Do a fast 10k the weekend before the next race instead of intervals/LSR

Planned upcoming races:

05/2/11 - Urban trails series: Tymon Park 10K Finished 9th 42:44
    13/2/11 - Cupids dash - Marley 10K DNE
    12/3/11 - Urban trails series: Marley 10K Finished 9th 43:20
    27/3/11 - Wicklow Gaol break 10K
    09/4/11 - Urban trails series: St. Annes park 8k
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough
    17/5/11 - HellFire duathlon: Cruagh Wood
    28/5/11 - WestWicklowROAR
    14/6/11 - HellFire duathlon: Masseys
    24/7/11 - Dublin 10K
    10/8/11 - AchillROAR

Day: Thursday 17/3
    Time of day: 13:00
    Pace/type of workout: 7:20p/mile (leg loosener)
    Distance: 10K
    Time: 41:45

First run after the trails race. Just the usual ramble through my local parks before the Paddy's Day thirst took hold :D. Threw in some 1/4 mile @ race pace too.

• Advertisement

Day: Friday 18/3
    Time of day: 14:30
    Pace/type of workout: Lsr/hills mainly
    Distance: 10M
    Time: 1:21:25

Took an extremely hilly route around Killiney and Dalkey yesterday. Ran up and down the cats ladder steps aswell which should be good prep for WAR Glendo which I'm thinking of doing. Legs are in bits today though so plenty of rest for me :)

Day: Monday 21/3
    Time of day: 16:00
    Distance: 10.7M
    Time: 45:18

Got the bike out yesterday to get some practice in as the 3rock duathlon (20k cycle) and WAR Glendo (30k cycle) have tickled my fancy. Took a hilly route through dalkey, killiney etc.

Need more time on the hills I think as at one stage I slowed to a crawl going up a long hill. New bike shoes worked a treat aswell and I had no probs getting in/out of them.

Day: Tuesday 22/3
    Pace/type of workout: Cycle to run transition
    Distance: Cycle 11M, Run 1.5m
    Time: Cycle - 43:00, Run -??

Same cycle route as yesterday. Found it a bit easier today and it seemed to go quicker too. Stuck in a bit of a run after the cycle so my legs get used to the change over.

Day: Friday 25/3
    Time of day: 17:00
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals
    Distance: 5.4m
    Time: 32:58

I love these training sessions where you see a real improvement in your running! :)

I decided to up the pace on my intervals (usually do 6:30 pace) to 6:00 pace. So I did 3*1 mile at 6:00min/mile pace.

Found it tough but doable. I didnt want to do too many at this new pace, I was afraid of pushing too hard so I went for a 2 mile jog around the park and home.

This is where I saw the improvement - I thought Id take it easy and ramble home @ around 7min/mile but when I looked at the watch I was doing 6:20min/mile and I found it fine so I kept that pace for the rest of the 2 miles and it was a doddle! :D Really surprised myself with this as I hadnt run in over a week! So maybe the good rest played a part too.

Planned upcoming races:

27/3/11 - Wicklow Gaol break 10K DNE
    03/4/11 - 3Rock Duathlon Ashford
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough
    24/7/11 - Dublin 10K
    10/8/11 - AchillROAR

Day: Saturday 26/3
    Time of day: 14:00
    Pace/type of workout: cycling (Hills)
    Distance: 5.6m
    Time: 23:48

On the last few cycles Ive been really struggling on the hills so I decided that I'd just concentrate on the hills today. Did two quite steep and long hills in this session with a bit of a warm up/down before and after. Found the hills more manageable today. Could really feel the quads burning though so I needed a good warm down after.

Day: Sunday 27/3
    Time of day: 14:00
    Pace/type of workout: Run/Cycle/Run
    Distance: 17.7m
    Time: 1:29:01

Decided to do this as prep for the Rock Duathlon next Sunday. Got started with a little jog around the park and a couple of strides.

Run - The first run was great. I was planning on doing a 7min/mile for it but I checked my pace a couple of minutes in and I found that I was doing 6:20min/mile. I found this pace doable so I kept it up till the end. Did it in about 19:30.

Transition - Shocking transition! Took me about 4minutes to get my helmet on, change into my bike shoes, get a drink, put on the hi-vis and getthe bike out the door! This needs work!

Bike - The bike leg was handy. All my cycling is paying off and the hills are getting more manageable.

Transition - this was a better transition. Will need work changing shoes,tying laces etc before race.

Run - I wasnt too out of breath starting the 2nd run (could have pushed more on the bike maybe?). The jelly leg feeling is just weird and it stayed with me the entire run. Second run took me about 20:30.

Very happy over all with this session. I wasnt too tired after either which is a good sign I suppose. Might be able to push the first run and cycle a bit more on race day.

P.s All this race prep/racing is distracting me from my 10 mile goal!!! :D

Day: Wednesday 30/3
    Pace/type of workout: Cycle and Run
    Distance: 13m
    Time: 52:16

Up and around my usual 10 miler cycle (42:45) followed by a quick run (9:30) around the park in prep for the rock duathlon. Not looking forward to an alcohol free weekend but Im looking forward to the race all the same! :D

Day: Friday 1/4
    Pace/type of workout: Gentle Run
    Time: 24:36

Just a lil jog around the park to keep the legs fresh for sunday, kept it around a 7:30min/mile pace. Threw in a couple of strides too

Day: Sunday 3/4
    Time of day: 13:00
    Pace/type of workout: Race (Duathlon)
    Distance: 5k run - 20k cycle - 5k run
    Time: 1:24:26

Lovely day for a race today, the rain held off thankfully and the sun showed up aswell :)

Run 1 - The first run was great! I bopped along doing 6min/mile which is the fastest Ive ran 5k at :D There were a group of belpark boys at the front too quick to catch though. Even managed to up the pace for the last 1/4 mile. Time - 18:02 yeah!

Cycle - After a shocker of a transition (2 minutes :eek:) things got worse :mad: This was a real eye opener for me. My bike ability is poor and needs some serious work. I thought I was going pretty quick on the bike but around 10-12 lads effortlessly glided past me as I was huffing and puffing my way around the course. Granted, most of them were members of tri clubs but my cycling needs to improve big-time. Time - 43ish :(

Run 2 - Really surprised myself with how much energy I had on the second run. Kept it around 6:40min/mile pace and managed to overtake about 8 of the lads that overtook me on the cycle (where's yer bike now yis bastards!!) Got in a bit of a sprint coming up to the finish too. Time - 20ish :)

It was a great race today. Really well marshalled considering the entire race took place on busy roads. Just too bad I couldn't stick around for the sambo's after!

For me, there were some positives and some negatives to take form today's race. That was probably some of the best running Ive done to date - Im really seeing an improvement on that side of things. But bike-wise I'm poor and really need to address this If I want to be going top 10 in these kinds of races.

• Advertisement

Planned upcoming races:

03/4/11 - 3Rock Duathlon Ashford Finished 32nd 1:24:26
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough
    24/7/11 - Dublin 10K
    10/8/11 - Achill ROAR

Day: Monday 4/4
    Distance: 18.5m
    Time: 1:17:36

After my poor cycling in the 3rock duathlon I decided my bike needs some serious work. And I'm not gonna get better by sittin on my hole so I got out for a long spin on the bike up the hills through stepaside up to ticknock. Some serious hills there too. Total climb was 1229ft.

Gonna have to work a mix of longer than race spins and intervals before WAR. Not sure how much better I can get in 2 weeks but sure I cant get any worse! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Sally gap via Glencullen, Feather Beds and Glencree is actually quite doable as an evening spin. Quite enjoyable too!

brownian wrote: »
    Sally gap via Glencullen, Feather Beds and Glencree is actually quite doable as an evening spin. Quite enjoyable too!

Cheers for the tip!
    I had a look at that route on google maps and it looks like nice cycle. Also I found a route that will take in the HellFire cruagh course on they way so It'll be good prep for that too.
    Nice one :)

Day: Thursday 7/4
    Time of day: 20:00
    Pace/type of workout: Bike Intervals (10 X 1minute @ 18/19 mph)
    Distance: 11.5m
    Time: 1:05:44

Did some intervals on the bike in my quest to become the worlds 2nd worst cyclist :rolleyes:

Ive got to say these were tougher than I was expecting. I planned on doing 20 intervals but after 5 I was fairly spent so I did 10 and called it a day.

Sure the first time I did running intervals I was in the same state, but now I know how much they help, so i'm sure they'll get easier after a couple more goes.

Still havent signed up for WAR :P

Day: Friday 8/4
    Time of day: 16:40
    Pace/type of workout: Hills
    Distance: 7m(ish) watch stopped at 6m
    Time: 55:00

In prep for running up spinc mountain in WAR I took a hilly route up through Dalkey yesterday. Got up and down the back stairs of killiney hill 3 times too.
    Feckin Garmin stopped working after 6m though and then I couldnt turn it off :mad: :confused: Really hope it doesn't need to be fixed coz I'd be lost without it.

Day: Sunday 10/4
    Time of day: 20:30
    Pace/type of workout: Jog (7:30)
    Time: 24:00

Short and slow last nite, beginning the wind-down to WAR. This was an absolutely horrible run. Drank a pint of water before I left as the hangover just would not leave me alone. So I was acid belching for the whole run and just generally felt like crap. Stuck in a couple of strides too along the way.

Day: Monday 11/4
    Time of day: 15:00
    Distance: 10.5m
    Time: 52:00

Bah! Spent ages planning out a cycle route from my house through kilternan, cruagh and down towards powerscourt but only made it as far as Johnny Foxes (5miles) when the weather turned poxy and I got drenched in the rain. I wasnt dressed for rain so I had to turn back. Stuck in some Tabata style sprints on the way home to make up for the lost distance.

When I got home I was greeted with glorious sunshine <stupid Ireland> so I changed shoes and got out for a run around the park.

Day: Saturday 16/4
    Time of day: 9:00
    Pace/type of workout: Adventure race
    Distance: 40k
    Time: 2:35:39

Feckin awesome race yesterday!

Lovely weather, really well organised, and everyone was in great spirits.

For me, this has been my best and my worst race to date. I was pretty optimistic of a good time in this as I finished 19th in Achill ROAR last year and Ive definitely improved my running/cycling since then.

Me and a mate arrived at about 7:30, he was doing the long, I was doing the short course. I was starting at 9 o'clock so I had loads of time to get ready. Somehow, though I faffed about till about 8:30 and then had to rush to get changed and warmed up. It wasnt enough time as it turned out as I was just started my warm up jog at 8:55 :eek: but I got over to the start area in time.

Run 1 - I love the start of races! There were about 15 lads ahead of me going up the hills and I gradually passed a good few of them before we got to the start of the board-walk. I had done a good bit of stair-training before this but this was still damn hard! Anyway, coming up to the top of the spinc there were two lads ahead of me. There weren't many opportunities to pass as the board walk is so narrow so I just hung behind they guys in front and ran/walked whenever they did. Amazing views up there, but the couple of times I tried to take in the scenery I nearly slipped so it was eyes on the road from then on! :D On the descent the two lads ahead got away from me. I was in agony coming down. Every time my foot landed I got a shooting pain in my ribs. For me, coming down the mountain was like getting punched in the ribs for 20 minutes! I had to slow down from the pain and some guy shot past me. I was thinking I was finished at this point and I was wondering if I'd be able to finish the race at all. And then, the terrain flattened out, the pain went away, and I fookin floored it for the final 3k or so. I flew past 2 of the 3 guys ahead of me and I got the lead guy in my sights. He was doing a good speed so it took me a while to reel him in but I pipped him to the dibber. I did the fastest run time yeah! :) Time: 48:53

Cycle 1 - Got into the transition and changed into my cycling shoes. I didnt rack my helmet properly and knocked it over the railings away from me when I was trying to get it. Thankfully Paul Mahon picked it and handed it to me! Out on the bike the dreaded cramps started stabbing me in both calf's (I drank dioralyte for 3 days before the race!) So thats it dioralyte, we're through. About 3k into the cycle I took a swig from my bike bottle and promptly dropped the feckin thing! I considered stopping and going back for it but after a good run I didnt want to waste a second. This bike leg went really well (apart form the cramps) I'm really seeing an improvement on the bike. About 5k into the first bike leg it dawned on me - I'd left my trail shoes at the first transition!!! :mad: FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! I couldn't believe I did that! And now I was screwed for the final run! Anyway, there was nothing I could do about the shoes at this stage so I just focused on doing the best bike leg I could to make up for the time I'd lose on the final run. The hills were doable, I did have to slow to a crawl at times but I kept going. Time: 37:53

Kayak - Ran to the kayak in my cycling shoes - had to stop to stretch a couple of times because I was cramping so badly. So this led me to decide that I would do the final run in my socks. The kayak section was tough. I hopped in with a nice dude from Donegal. He thought I should do the run in my socks too! My legs began to seize as I was sitting in the kayak too :confused: Time 15:48

Cycle 2 - Second cycle was good fun (apart from the constant cramping) Alot of down hill in this section which was great too. I was out of water and getting a headache at this stage (sign of dehydration?). Thought I got lost at one point on the way back :P Time: 28:58

Run 2 - And heres where this 40 kilometre race got difficult.... Cycling shoes off - I headed for the road... in my socks. The road was 3.5k of loose chippings and random sharp-as-a-bastard-stones. I was in agony. Some tarmac would have been heaven. At times there was a grass verge so I could run on that and get up a bit of speed but then I had to get back onto the gravelly road and tip-toe my way to the finish. Dodging around tourists didnt help my situation either. The s**t thing is I felt so fresh and full of energy at this stage if I had my shoes I would have belted it till the end :( I was so pissed off at the end of that race, cant wait to see a picture of me at the finish line with a face like thunder!! :D Time: 20:56

Finished in 22nd position which isnt too bad considering the trouble I had. Looking at the splits I was in 13th position going into the final run.

All in all it was a great race and a great day. Looking back I'd do it again in a heartbeat (except I might bring my trail shoes with me this time ;))

Note to self:
    • Start the garmin early - I was nearly at the top of the spinc before it got going
    • Do more downhill running
    • Try nuuns
    • Practice transitioning
    • Make a plan early and stick to it

• Advertisement

Planned upcoming races:

03/4/11 - 3Rock Duathlon Ashford Finished 32nd 1:24:26