Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone in 60 minutes... My 10 mile goal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Day: Saturday 18/6
    Time of day: 11:29
    Pace/type of workout: Adventure Race
    Distance: 10k run / 20k cycle / Obstacle course
    Time: 01:47:44

Absolutely deadly race in Glenmalure today ! :)

The weather man said it was gonna rain but it was a lovely day for a race. Took us a while to get there, we got lost on the way so we got there at about 10:45 and the race was starting at 11:30. This didnt leave me alot of time to get set up and properly warmed up before the race.

Run

The run was very tough. Kirikree mountain is a fantastic place to go for a run. I didnt get the chance to check out the mountain in the weeks leading up to the race, but I got in a fair bit of hill training in prep for today. Not enough training as it turns out as the mountain run really took it out of me. It started fine, not a huge group of runners so I found it handy enough to pick my way through the pack and get amongst the top 5. After about 2 miles I was up to third place and shadowing the guy in second place (the guy in first was damn fast and pulled away from us with ease). 2 and a half miles in and I was struggling. Had to stop to walk a couple of times towards the summit and someone overtook me. Got a gel in while I was walking and got back running eventually. At the halfway checkpoint I looked back to find a runner was right behind me, thankfully we were running on level ground by then so I was able to pick up the pace and get away from him. There was a short section of the race through a forest. It was signposted but I managed to get lost twice :( but then I saw a guy (that was behind me) running and he pointed me in the right direction. It was downhill from there so I got back into third place. The lack of a proper warm up/stretch before the race caught up with me here - I began getting a bad cramp in my back just below the ribcage which made running agony. Fought through the pain as I was 5 miles in and didnt want to lose any time. Finished the run in third position. Run time - 46:05

Cycle
    The run really took it out of me so I was breathing hard when I got onto the bike. Experience told me that I would soon settle and breath normally after a while, but about 2 miles into the cycle (lots of hills here) I was still labouring to catch my breath and contemplated quitting as I was finding it so tough. I suppose the fact that I'm just after getting over a cold didnt help my situation. Had to will myself to keep going and remind myself that everybody has to cycle the same hills so everybody is probably struggling a bit. I perked up after that and finally caught my breath. My back was in constant pain however and I was trying all sorts of back stretches on the bike to loosen it up but nothing worked. I know my cycling isnt strong so I wasnt too upset that someone over took me, I just tried to hang with him for as long as I could. That lasted about 3 miles but cramp (calves) and hills seen him build a lead over me. The off-road section was tough - my bike bounced around like crazy and another rider overtook me looking as fresh as a daisy. Part of the off-road section was so steep I slowed to a crawl so I decided to get off and walk (and lessen the chance of puncture). Another cyclist over took me after the off-road bit and quickly got away from me. After that it was a long, steep down hill where I pushed to make back lost time.
    Cycle - 56:51

Obstacle course
    Finally off the bike I ran towards the obstacle course - didnt have jelly-legs which was strange. I was running in my cycling shoes so cramp immediately shot up my calves as I was running and jumping over bails of hay. Crawling under the nets the backs of my legs seized with cramp it was a horrible pain. Got across the finish line eventually :D
    Obstacle course - 03:23

This race was probably the toughest one Ive done to date (and I thought WAR Glendalough was tough!) I'm delighted to say I pushed myself to my physical limit and did all I could today. I suppose on another day I could have done better if I wasnt getting over a cold but I'm delighted with my 8th place finish!!!:D
    Overall time - 01:47:44

Note to self
    • Do a proper warm up before longer races
    • Recce courses in future
    • Do more brick sessions before adventure races
    • Bring a small drink on AR runs (if run is first)

Planned upcoming races:

05/2/11 - Urban trails series: Tymon Park 10K Finished 9th 42:44
    13/2/11 - Cupids dash - Marley 10K DNE
    12/3/11 - Urban trails series: Marley 10K Finished 9th 43:20
    27/3/11 - Wicklow Gaol break 10K DNE
    03/4/11 - 3Rock Duathlon Ashford Finished 32nd 1:24:26
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough Finished 22nd 2:35:39
    17/5/11 - HellFire duathlon: Cruagh Wood DNE
    28/5/11 - WestWicklowROAR Finished 26th 2:05:21
    18/6/11 - WAR Glenmalure Finished 8th 01:47:44
    23/7/11 - Dirty Dozen Challenge
    01/8/11 - Dun loaghaire bay 10K
    10/9/11 - Achill ROAR

Day: Thursday 23/6
    Time of day: 16:06
    Pace/type of workout: Recovery - 8m/m
    Distance: 3.3
    Time: 00:26:24

First run since WAR. Legs have been really sore since the weekend. They took 5 days to fully recover :eek: Didnt hurt too much while cycling so Ive been doing a fair bit of commuting this week to keep to legs going. Also I went for a swim on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Felt fine on the run. I was tempted to do 10K but I remembered the last time I tried to do too much after a break - it hurt. So I just did 3 miles. Legs are a wee bit stiff after. Might try 10k tomorrow I'll see how the legs are.

Day: Friday 24/6
    Time of day: 16:20
    Pace/type of workout: 7m/m
    Distance: 5.8m
    Time: 00:41:08

Went out for a run in the pissing rain on Friday. Calves are still stiff and are taking their time to loosen up.

Day: Sunday 26/6
    Time of day: 14:54
    Pace/type of workout: 7.45m/m
    Distance: 10m
    Time: 01:17:10

Did my first 10 miler in quite a while yesterday. Have to start doing longer runs as my next race in the Dirty Dozen race in Brey. The run was fine. I tried to stay around 8m/m but I find it hard to slow down to that pace (7-7:30m/m just feels natural). At around the 7mile mark I felt the beginning of a blister on the sole of my foot. Pretty sore now and might put an end to my running this week :(

• Advertisement

Day: Monday 27/6
    Time of day: 15:54
    Pace/type of workout: LSR 8m/m
    Distance: 13m
    Time: 01:41:55

Longest run to date. Had pretty bad blisters from my run (road run) the day before so I decided to do this one in trail runners. Thing is, I only have about 10k of grass near my house so doing 2 laps of the same course was not something I was looking forward to.

First lap was pretty rough as I was thinking the whole time " I do not wanna turn around and do this whole thing again" but the second lap was actually fine once I started it. legs were very heavy from 9 miles onward but it was grand overall.

Was on holidays in America for the last couple of weeks but I managed to fit in 3 runs around all the drinking. Did 8.5m in Central Park and 5m & 6.6m in Philadelphia. These runs were all done around 8m/m (the heat was unbearable!)

Day: Sunday 17/7
    Time of day: 19:50
    Pace/type of workout: 3m @ 7m/m, 3m @ 8m/m
    Distance: 5.9m
    Time: 00:43:42

After a few runs in the sweltering heat on my holidays it was actually kinda nice to get back to running in blustery, wet old ballybrack! I was fairly knackered doing this run as I had only gotten about an hours sleep in the previous 24. Did 1.5 miles at 7m/m then slowed the pace to 8m/m for 3 miles and finished with 1.5 at 7m/m.

I'm kinda glad the Dirty Dozen was postponed now as I dont think I would have been able to prepare properly for it. Looks like my next race will be the DLR 10k

Day: Monday 18/7
    Time of day: 13:49
    Pace/type of workout: cycle
    Distance: 15.5m
    Time: 01:09:45

First cycle in about 4 weeks. Felt good to be back out on the bike. Went through Enniskerry, Kilmolin, Devils elbow, Glencree etc. Ive definitely lost some bike fitness though

Day: Tuesday 19/7
    Time of day: 20:32
    Pace/type of workout: 7m/m
    Distance: 6.3m
    Time: 00:43:38

First 10k in a while. It amazes me how much fitness you lose on a two week holiday :eek: Before my holiday I would have knocked out a 10k no bother but yesterday was a real struggle. My pace was all over the place and I found it difficult to speed up to a 7m/m pace, which isnt like me :( Had to stop about half way though for a much needed stretch aswell.

I suppose the fact that I only got about 4 hours sleep the previous night didnt help and curry chips for dinner isnt the best pre-run meal

Day: wednesday 20/7
    Time of day: 16:35
    Pace/type of workout: LSR 7:30m/m
    Time: 01:17:22

First 10 miler in a while. Went fine considering how tough yesterday was, pretty stiff now though

• Advertisement

Day: Friday 22/7
    Time of day: 11:56
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals @ 6min/mile
    Distance: 3m
    Time: 00:17:36

Hoping to do the DLR bay 10k in under 40 minutes so I fit in some intervals last week. Started out with a couple of 1 laps to ease myself back into the pace then did 2laps 10 times. Found it ok, though I was only doing half a mile at a time, I'm sure if I did any longer it wouldnt be "ok".

Day: Monday 25/7
    Time of day: 20:48
    Pace/type of workout: DLR Bay 10k recce
    Distance: 8m
    Time: 00:59:12

Singed up for the DLR Bay 10k so I decided to run down to DL for a look at the course. This is the first race I've done where I'll actually be able to run the course prior to racing it (I tried to recce tymon park, but I did it completely wrong) so it was interesting enough. The course looks good, some scenic views and no mad climbs... Having said that I was only jogging the course so when it comes time to race it the climbs might seem very different! :p

Really looking forward to it now!

Day: Tuesday 26/7
    Time of day: 20:47
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals @ 6m/m
    Distance: 3m
    Time: 00:18:08

Back to intervals yesterday as I know I'll have no problem covering the distance but its the pace I want to do it at that I'm worried about.

Did 4 X half miles and 1 X a mile @ 6m/m. I can do the pace no problem but I have no idea how long I'll be able to hold it for come race day. Might try and run a positive split in this race - 3m @6m/m and 3m @6:30/7m/m.

Day: Wednesday 27/7
    Time of day: 11:41
    Pace/type of workout: Bike/run brick session
    Distance: Bike: 19m - Run: 3m
    Time: 01:30:00

With all these running races I have planned I feel I'm neglecting my cycling. So I'm going to try and do at least one good cycle session per week until these running races are out of the way.

Did the same cycle as last week, i.e., went through Enniskerry, Kilmolin, Devils elbow, Glencree etc. Felt alot stronger/fitter this week though and finished it in a faster time than last week.

I wasnt planning on going for a run but when I got home from cycling I was feeling fresh so I said feck it and went out for a run too. Legs were a little stiff from the cycle but nothing major. Kept it @ 7m/m throughout.

Day: Thursday 28/7
    Time of day: 20:00ish
    Pace/type of workout: Jog/run/jog/run
    Distance: 4m
    Time: ???

Bit of a wasted run last night. As soon as I started to jog I realised I wasnt wearing my garmin :mad: and I wasnt arsed going back to get it so I went running anyway.

Did a big cycle (for me, anyway) yesterday so I didnt want to do too much with the DLR 10k on Monday. So I decided to jog from one end of deansgrange park and then run back at a good pace. I found the run part easier than the jog part for some reason :confused: The run part was comfortable, it was fast and I felt like I could keep it up for 10k - but I've no idea what pace I was doing so I didnt learn anything that will help me on Monday :(

Day: Friday 29/7
    Time of day: 14:11
    Pace/type of workout: 6:20m/m
    Distance: 6.2m
    Time: 00:39:40

Ran the DLR Bay 10k course today. I cycled down to Dun Laoghaire and ran from (as far as I could tell from using the map on the net) the start to the finish. Didnt realise how hilly this course is. I'd say the race could be won and lost on the glenageary road.

Im hoping for a sub 40 time on Monday (I signed up for the sub35min group hee hee) so I was pleased that I did this run in 39:40. I'd say I can do a better time on the day as I wont be losing momentum stopping to cross roads etc and I wont be running on paths.

Lots of rest now till Monday, well maybe a short jog on Sunday.

Edit: 00:39:40 is my PB for a 10k!!

Day: Monday 1/8
    Time of day: 10:30
    Pace/type of workout: DLR Bay 10k
    Distance: 6.2m
    Time: 00:38:57 New PB

Really good race today in Dun Laoghaire! Its so great to have a race thats just around the corner from me and I dont have to get up early and drive for hours to get there :).

The race got off to a good start - though the pace was a bit fast for me, I really have to learn to just pick a pace and stick to it. The drizzle was nice and refreshing but its no fun when you're wearing glasses! Some of the hills were real killers today, but if you go up you have to go down so the down-hills (nearly) made up for the hills.

Didnt get as much of a prerace warm-up as I would have liked and felt it in my back from about 6k onwards. Tried to up the pace when I saw the 9k marker but I dont think I did as some guy started to overtake me with about 500 metres left. I dont know where I found the energy for a sprint but I did anyway and finished in 38:57 according to my garmin - I'll get the chip time tomorrow.

Feckin delighted with my time today! :D:D:D

Planned upcoming races:

05/2/11 - Urban trails series: Tymon Park 10K Finished 9th 42:44
    13/2/11 - Cupids dash - Marley 10K DNE
    12/3/11 - Urban trails series: Marley 10K Finished 9th 43:20
    27/3/11 - Wicklow Gaol break 10K DNE
    03/4/11 - 3Rock Duathlon Ashford Finished 32nd 1:24:26
    16/4/11 - WAR Gledalough Finished 22nd 2:35:39
    17/5/11 - HellFire duathlon: Cruagh Wood DNE
    28/5/11 - WestWicklowROAR Finished 26th 2:05:21
    18/6/11 - WAR Glenmalure Finished 8th 01:47:44
    01/8/11 - DLR Bay 10K Finished 23rd 38:57
    20/8/11 - Frank Duffy 10m
    10/9/11 - Achill ROAR
    24/9/11 - WAR Powerscourt

Day: Tuesday 2/8
    Time of day: 17:27
    Pace/type of workout: 8:30m/m recovery run
    Distance: 2.6m
    Time: 26:14

Toyed with the idea of going for a long cycle today but after considering I did a faster-than-usual 10k yesterday I thought I'd just do a short recovery run instead. Glad I did as my legs are quite tight from yesterday. Ran this at 8:30m/m as Brain Training for Runners suggests if you run a 10k in 38:57 you should do recovery runs between 8:00m/m and 9:15m/m. Good to know.

It also suggests I would be able to run a marathon at a steady 6:57m/m pace!!!:eek:

Day: Wednesday 3/8
    Time of day: 16:06
    Pace/type of workout: Cycle
    Distance: 16m
    Time: 01:08:05

Went out for my usual cycle yesterday. This route has some steep hills and I usually remain seated going up hills, but yesterday I got up out of the saddle and powered up them. I felt like I was going much faster (out of the saddle) and I felt I finished the hills quicker, but when I got home I compared my times on garmin connect and it seems I was slightly faster when I stayed in the seat :confused:

Maybe I'll try this again and just time myself going up the hills instead of timing the whole course to get a more accurate measurement.

• Advertisement

Day: Thursday 4/8
    Time of day: 16:11
    Pace/type of workout: Hills
    Distance: 7m
    Time: 00:54:15

Planned on doing a 10 mile hilly route around Killiney on Thursday because: a) my next race is the Frank Duffy 10mile, and b) hills will be good prep for Achill Roar.

Things got off to a good start, I was able to clip along at about 6:30 m/m for the first 2 miles before the hills began. Hills went ok, not super fast, but I didnt need to stop at all. Took a little break at the top of my hills and then continued on. Probably should have taken more of a break because I was pretty wrecked for the rest of the run.

I suppose the hilly cycle the day before really took it out of me (today probably should have been a recovery run/rest day) I had planned on doing two circuits of Killiney hill but I listened to my body and left it at one. So I took a short cut home at a slow enough pace.

Really need to plan my workouts better and keep tough workouts at least a day apart.

Day: Sunday 7/8
    Time of day: 20:55
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals @ 5:15m/m pace
    Distance: 1m
    Time: 05:20

I was fairly wrecked after my last run (Thursday) so I did no running/cycling on Friday or Saturday.

Intervals today. I know I only took a tiny break from exercise but it felt great to be out running again! :) Reading the Brain Training Guide for Runners at the minute - it says if you can run a 10k at 6:15m/m then you should do short intervals at 5:15-5:45m/m. So thats what I did today. I only did 4X400mts just to ease myself into this faster pace with a 1 mile jog before and after.

Might try these once a week and do 4X400mts @ 5:15m/m and 6X800mts @ 6:00m/m in one session

Day: Monday 9/8
    Time of day: 13:24
    Pace/type of workout: 6:40m/m
    Time: 01:06:59

Felt great after last nights faster intervals so I was leppin' to get out the door for a run today! :D Decided to do 10 miles as the Frank Duffy is on the horizon and I wanted to see what kind of time I should be expecting on the 20th.

I wanted to keep the pace at around 6:30m/m and I did for the first few miles. The head wind on the seafront in DL took my pace away and I slogged on for a while until I got up into Monkstown where I was met by some sneaky hills so I'm surprised my average pace for the run was 6:40m/m.

Its been a while since I've done 10 miles so from mile 7 onwards was a bitch :( Finished it in 01:06:59 which is over 10 minutes faster than my previous best 10 mile time!!! :D So I'm very happy with that!

Bring it on Frank!

Day: Tuesday 10/8
    Time of day: 16:20
    Pace/type of workout: Recovery run 8:00m/m
    Distance: 5m
    Time: 00:41:21

Had planned on going for a cycle today but when I got up in the morning and had breakfast I just wasnt feeling right after yesterdays hard run so I waited until after lunch to see how I was feeling. Still wasnt feeling great after lunch so I abandoned the cycle and went out for a slow jog instead.

Stuck on the trail runners and did a few lengths of that park in deansgrange at 8:00m/m. It was a slow pace but it was by no means an easy run - I just didnt want to be out there. So it seems I pushed myself too hard on Monday and needed more rest than I thought :( Maybe I should have eased myself up to 10 miles at a slow pace rather than just going for a 10miler at a faster pace.

Day: Wednesday 11/8
    Time of day: 14:45
    Pace/type of workout: Tempo run - 10mins warm up, 20mins @ 6:30m/m, 10mins warm down
    Distance: 5.75m
    Time: 00:40:58

Borrowed this one from HH's last two weeks of his 15K program. Did this on the grass in the park in Deansgrange. Started with 10 minutes easy (8:00m/m) then 20 minutes at 6:30m/m (thats what I hope to do the 10mile race at) then finished off with 10 minutes of easy running.

Found the 20 minutes at 6:30 hard enough. Kinda couldnt wait for it to end. Looking back though I could have gone longer if I pushed myself. Anyway, its another 5.75 miles in the legs which brings me up to 21 miles so far for the week.

Note to self: I really should have treated Mondays 10 miles as a race and taken a couple of days rest after it. Still felling it in the legs today.

Day: Thursday 12/8
    Time of day: 11:57
    Pace/type of workout: Long cycle (some hills)
    Distance: 23.5m
    Time: 01:40:51

Back out on the bike today. I'm trying to get at least one longish/hilly cylce in a week so I dont lose the bike fitness while I'm concentrating on running.

Since I moved house Ive been looking for a route to get up and do my usually hilly cycle (Kiltirnan, Enniskerry etc) from my new place. Checked it out on google maps and found a route through cabinteely village that will get me there. Grand stuff. Well... not really... the road brings you to a M50 flyover and then suddenly stops in a field :mad:

So I had to double back and cycle over to my old house and go the way I used to go. So I added 7 miles to my usual cycle without even trying!

Anyway, back on the usual route Im trying to see if staying seated or getting out of the seat while cycling is quicker going through a tricky 4mile stretch of hills. Today I tried it out of the seat (on the really hilly parts) and did it in 21:51. I'll try it next week while seated and I can see which is faster/suits me then.

Day: Friday 12/8
    Time of day: 15:03
    Pace/type of workout: Intervals
    Distance: 6.16m
    Time: 00:41:12

***I already posted this yesterday but its been deleted somehow :mad: :mad: :mad:

1 mile warm up @7m/m then 4 laps of 400mts at 5m/m pace. 4 laps (1 mile) at 6m/m pace. Rested, then repeated the 4 laps at 6m/m. Then 2mile warm down at 8m/m

Day: Sunday 14/8
    Time of day: 20:25
    Pace/type of workout: Average 7:20m/m
    Distance: 5m
    Time: 00:36:47

I had planned to do a 10-12miler yesterday but my legs were still a bit stiff from Friday's interval session. So I did 1.5mile at 7:45m/m then 1mile at 6:30m/m then 2.5miles at 7:30m/m.

I found running at 6:30m/m a lot easier than the slower paces. It just felt more fluid and natural. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to sustain a steady 6:30m/m pace (barring wind/hills) for the Frank Duffy on Saturday.

So this week I've done 55 miles (23.5m on bike) which I'm pretty happy with :)

Day: Monday 15/8
    Time of day: 15:00
    Pace/type of workout: 07:13 min/mi
    Distance: 8.3m
    Time: 00:59:44

This will be my last long(ish) run before the Frank Duffy. Took an uppy/downy route though ballybrack, dalkey, killiney etc. I was trying to keep it at around 8:00m/m but there was so much downhill my average pace for the run was 07:13 min/mi :eek:

Decided to leave the mp3 player at home during this run because I noticed in the DLR Bay 10k that I never heard other runners overtaking me until they were beside me and going past me. So I figure I'll be better able to figure out whats happening around me without the mp3 player. I thought it would be a boring run without my tunes but it was fine actually. I was able to concentrate more on keeping my breathing steady. So I think I'll leave it at home for races in future.

Legs are a wee bit sore after this run - even though I managed to do a recovery run by jogging to the shops for eggs! :)

So I think I'll take it easy tomorrow, well, maybe a cycle if I feel like it :)

• Advertisement

Day: Wednesday 17/8
    Time of day: 15:27
    Pace/type of workout: Mixed Intervals
    Distance: 5.5m
    Time: 00:38:10

After my rest day yesterday I was leppin' to get out running today! Didnt want to do too much as the race is on Saturday so I looked up what sessions the Brain Training for Runners book has in its final week before a HM. It suggested mixed intervals so I headed down to the track in Kilbogget to do this today.

Started with a 1.3m warm up @ 8:00m/m then:
    • 2K @ 6:30m/m (my 10mile pace), followed by 2mintes of active recovery,
    • 1m @ 6:00m/m (10K pace), followed by 2mintes of active recovery,
    • 1K @5:45m/m (5K pace), followed by 2mintes of active recovery.
    Rounded it off with a 1.3m warm down on the way home.

I like this session and I think I'll do it again in future. I liked the changing of paces - stopped the training from getting stale.

Advertisement