Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband - Having to click refresh to load pages

• 02-02-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone else in Waterford got UPC broadband hassle?
    I got a free upgrade from 5 to 8meg because I was on an old package. I had to get a cisco wireless router from them (black one with 1 aerial) and since the changes, I have to often click refresh a few times when I try to load a page.

For example.. I click the boards bookmark, and it loads straight away.. lovely.. I click rte.ie.. and that loads fine.. back to boards.. and it sits on loading page.... and times out. Cue a few clicks to refresh the page and bingo it works.

I just wanted to see did anyone else in the city have the same problem before I go through the ordeal of ringing them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone else in Waterford got UPC broadband hassle?
    I got a free upgrade from 5 to 8meg because I was on an old package. I had to get a cisco wireless router from them (black one with 1 aerial) and since the changes, I have to often click refresh a few times when I try to load a page.

For example.. I click the boards bookmark, and it loads straight away.. lovely.. I click rte.ie.. and that loads fine.. back to boards.. and it sits on loading page.... and times out. Cue a few clicks to refresh the page and bingo it works.

I just wanted to see did anyone else in the city have the same problem before I go through the ordeal of ringing them.

Having had experience with providing tech support for a broadband company I can tell you that the vast majority of queries such as this are nothing to do with a problem with the internet provider.

1. Are you getting the same issue on any other device? If it's ok on another device then there is no problem with internet connection itself.

2. Have you tried it through ethernet cable rather than wireless to see if it is an issue with the wireless signal being interfered with by something in your environment? If it's ok on wired connection then it's wireless interference and not an issue with internet connection itself.

Edit: Meant to add: If you connect two devices through ethernet to your Cisco router and they are both having the exact same issue then it would be time to ring UPC. If you find that No. 1 above is the case then it's your computer that is sluggish and would need to be checked, UPC can't resolve this. If you find that No. 2 is the case then you would need to try changing the wireless channels and test each one and see if it works better on another wireless frequency, if that fails then you would need to check all electrical devices close to router and computer that are potentially causing interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

problems here too in D12, been out a few hours, just coming back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Deisedevil will check out those points.. I've two laptops connecting wirelessly and both have the same problem on multiple browsers.

Its been like this a couple of weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Trotter wrote: »
    Deisedevil will check out those points.. I've two laptops connecting wirelessly and both have the same problem on multiple browsers.

Its been like this a couple of weeks now.

Try them both through ethernet and if it's the same on both then your going to have to go through UPC's fantastic technical support system. :mad: I won't get started on them.

If it's ok through ethernet then there won't be anything UPC can do for you except for maybe show you how to change wireless channels and advise on what in the house could be causing wireless interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Nope.. Same problem when cabled to the router and disconnected from the wifi.

Looks like I'm ringing UPC.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have this problem a quite frequently. It happens on both my hardwired desktop & wireless laptop. I'm on the 20mb connection. I called them before when it was happening and they said they ran tests and the line was fine :(
    Strange think is I never had problems like this when I was on standard phone line broadband

Advertisement