Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Stoke - Wed, 2 February, 8pm kick off

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm normally pretty level headed. I've seen far far too many false dawns for the club in the years I've been a supporter but I have to agree this is a great fcuking feeling. We're playing decent football again, the confidence shows in the players and most important of all we are winning games. There most definitely been some hiccups between now and May but I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭baldbear

Match of the Day on tonight lads ?

11:15 bbc. I'm setting a reminder! Wobbie Keane scored tonight....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

flanzer wrote: »
    I've a warm feeling inside that I haven't had in about 18 months

getting laid???? Oh sorry that's sexist.... oh wait...it's not:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lucas was the big difference tonight from the fulham game when we looked to be hanging on a bit at the end, he brakes up so much ball, he is good player for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I'm normally pretty level headed. I've seen far far too many false dawns for the club in the years I've been a supporter but I have to agree this is a great fcuking feeling. We're playing decent football again, the confidence shows in the players and most important of all we are winning games. There most definitely been some hiccups between now and May but I don't care.

Yeah fair dues to Kenny, he has got them playing well
    Looking at Sunderland now, 2 points ahead of us in 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

niallo27 wrote: »
    Lucas was the big difference tonight from the fulham game when we looked to be hanging on a bit at the end, he brakes up so much ball, he is good player for us

He played some fantastic forward passes tonight also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Great win.....3 points in the bag...
    Kuyt for me was MOTM, worked so hard, that week break did him good...
    Lucas I thought was good too...
    Gerrard played well also...much better than last week....

BUT

we still have a long way to go...
    not sure about this new system...
    I don't think Meireles had his best game....
    stoke were all over us at times in the second half...
    aurelio was anonymous...
    twice now i've seen shelvey and twice i think he looks very ordinary....
    quite clumsy and awkward....
    maybe he needs confidence....

BUT

it was great to see suarez score...
    he looked nervous, but that goal (if he's given it) will really help him...

The game against chelsea will be totally different, and i can see
    us struggling if truth be told....they're back winning again...

but hey, 3 points, and things are looking better....

ps: and Kyri was great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Tusky wrote: »
    Great game. Kuyt MOM but Gerrard, Meireles, Agger, Lucas and Kelly all played well. Lucas sprayed the ball around really well. Great to see the team playing with confidence and enjoying their football - thats down to Kenny.

Definitely agreed, very fluid and entertaining football. The whole mentality and philosophy seems to be very different and we're playing with a lot more confidence.

Have to admit that for a long time I was somewhat on the fence with regards to the debate about whether Woy was the most to blame for our poor performances and results, but after watching the way we lined-up and played tonight in comparision to before it leads me to think that all of those calling for his head and pinning the responsibility on him were 100% right.

Watching Liverpool is now fun again (and not just because we're winning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match of the Day on tonight lads ?

Yea 11:15pm or if you can get BBC England 10:45pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

The pressures all on Chelsea ;)
    They cannot afford to slip up at home

i'll be a pool fan for a day on sunday !;)

ps super crouchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lads.......Liverpool Football Club is back. Played great stuff tonight......the influence of Kenny is unreal, and that's only after 5 games, at our current rate of development imagine what we'll be like in 12 months.

Shame on you Roy what you tried to do to the club! Shame!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sweet Jesus, Stoke are horrible, win lose or draw.

There was some good performances, I'm a big fan of a back three, Skrtel wasn't as foul-happy as before, Agger drew lots of fouls, Kyrgiakos limited Carew, Kuyt was ok (nowhere near as good as some say), Aurelio and Gerrard was ok, Meireles was very good before fading away and Suarez was enthusiastic. I think the energy and enthusiasm is the big immediate difference, but whether that will rub off or be quite as acceptable when Liverpool are searching for a goal will be telling.

But Christ, Stoke are a disgusting side. The stuff peddled recently in the media that they are developing a footablling game is just total nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I only saw a bit of the first half, but at one stage I saw Lucas almost annoyed that nobody was making a forward run for him, almost like he didnt want to pass the ball back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kenny just said Suarez has not even trained with the team yet. Wait until that starts team will be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I miss hoofing. Bring back the hoof.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Great end to a looong week. Roll on Sunday, away to the plastic flags & Fur coats (with the price tag left on) Delighted for Suarez, he looks a player. Pity Carroll's not around for Sunday, he'd eat JT up. We go there with confidence & I firmly believe we can get a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

niallo27 wrote: »

Seriously someone has had a word in that kids ear and really boosted his confidence. The amount of long range passes he pinged out towards the wings on a sixpence tonight for the receiving player which he would never normally attempt was in double figures. Terrific performance all around from him tonight.

Opr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BERBA wrote: »
    i'll be a pool fan for a day on sunday !;)

ps super crouchy

nah... it's all right.... don't bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PL awarded Suarez the goal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Special word for Steve Clarke lads. He's been a top signing for us you know. The defence looks a hell of a lot more solid now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

dfx- wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, Stoke are horrible, win lose or draw.

There was some good performances, I'm a big fan of a back three, Skrtel wasn't as foul-happy as before, Agger drew lots of fouls, Kyrgiakos limited Carew, Kuyt was ok (nowhere near as good as some say), Aurelio and Gerrard was ok, Meireles was very good before fading away and Suarez was enthusiastic. I think the energy and enthusiasm is the big immediate difference, but whether that will rub off or be quite as acceptable when Liverpool are searching for a goal will be telling.

But Christ, Stoke are a disgusting side. The stuff peddled recently in the media that they are developing a footablling game is just total nonsense.

I actually think this formation can allow for Skrtel going AWOL with his tackling outside the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mister men wrote: »

Once or twice tonight compared to every attack under Roy:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd say he'll be back on Sunday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Special word for Steve Clarke lads. He's been a top signing for us you know. The defence looks a hell of a lot more solid now.

Very under rated signing....been solid for us.
    Good defensively + kenny's confidence in team = :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone got a link to the goals yet?

Sounded like a big change to the away game at Stoke...I think i might have cried after that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

+1 on the praise for Steve Clarke. Seems to have had an immediate impact. A few weeks ago our defence was an absolute mess, now we look fairly solid. Great to get three clean sheets in a row, does the confidence a world of good.

Kuyt was excellent tonight, I must admit I didn't think he had much left to offer, he'd been off form for a long time and it was looking like maybe age was catching up with him, but he was brilliant tonight. I always forget he's a CF by trade, he plays the hard working lone striker role very well, really good at taking the ball in and bringing others into play.

Finally, I got to admit I'm excited about Suarez. I'd barely seen him play before but he looked very good for a player who hadn't played in almost two months and hadn't ever trained with his team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness the opposition wasn't great, but this is the same opposition that made us look very ordinary in November. Think Torres played in that game too!

The formation was original and confused Stoke as well as all us on the thread!

Reina didn't have much to do, Skyrtel was ok, Agger not bad, Soto was Soto ( a bargain for a couple of million), Johnson wasn't bad (good header), Kelly is turning into a great prospect, Aurelio ok (not his best roll), Lucas good, Gerrard good, Meireles good and Kuyt the same Dirk as ever.

Not sure if we'll see the same formation again, definitely not against Chelsea but it was different against a very boring Stoke set up. Chelsea will be a strange game and we probably aren't at their level yet, but we are getting there. Suarez, Meireiles, Gerrard, Kelly, Kuyt and even Lucas all positives, Johnson is getting his confidence back as I always said he would under Kenny and we've Carroll to come in.

Tonight also showed we do have width when we want to. 6th will be ours and who knows, if we keep improving, a shot at 5th.

In King Kenny we trust.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

opr wrote: »
    Seriously someone has had a word in that kids ear and really boosted his confidence. The amount of long range passes he pinged out towards the wings on a sixpence tonight for the receiving player which he would never normally attempt was in double figures. Terrific performance all around from him tonight.

Opr

These are the two things I wanted to say.. and worth quoting again. Loving Lucas, delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Cartman78 wrote: »

Sounded like a big change to the away game at Stoke...I think i might have cried after that one

http://bit.ly/g667cE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/?p=28640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I actually turned that game off in anger!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Clean sheets maybe, but I wouldn't say there's confidence in that defence. Against Fulham at 1-0 and at Stoke at 1-0, they were very very nervous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i'd love to see one of thore opta things that shows the area of the pitch that each player spent the most time in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Robert Huth really is a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i'd love to see one of thore opta things that shows the area of the pitch that each player spent the most time in

The Guardian have "heat-boards" or whateverthehelltheyarecalled, should be up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Dave! wrote: »
    Robert Huth really is a scumbag

Think the honesty of kelly saved Huth but scumbag.. Thats a bit harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

146313.png

And Stoke passes: Successful - 184, Unsuccessful - 120

Bit of a difference...

The heatmaps aren't great on the chalkboards, so used passes instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

OG my arse. Suarez shot on target defender failed to keep it out.

Suarez's shot might not have gone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suarez shot was going in if the defender did not get back, the angle is obvious enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

mike65 wrote: »
    Suarez shot was going in if the defender did not get back, the angle is obvious enough.

Well it could have hit a beachball and went wide :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Suarez's shot might not have gone in.

It would have went in, there was enough pace on it.

Advertisement