Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera systems

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all

I am new to boards and I have been looking on other threads for this but I hoping I can get a bit more help. here is the situation.

I am getting calving cameras and these calving cameras are going to be connected to a dvr with internet access so that I can view the camera over the internet. Now the system i am getting needs a fixed ip address but i have read dyndns.com that gets over this problem.

here is what the system will be - the cameras will be connected to the dvr, the dvr will be connected to a broadband usb 3 G router which will have a 3 modem connected to it. the signal is very good as I am up on a hill. now there is a company in the uk called www.cctvtechsupport.co.uk that will configure the whole lot for me but i am a bit of a diy person and I would love to try it out using the dyndns.com software first as it is free. I am familiar to with computers with networking is new to me and also configuring routers, port forwarding, etc. Can anybody suggest and how I can get all this stuff working together? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

You will need to purchase a system and set it up. For info on setting up dynDNS they have everything explained here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It's very easy to set up. You'll need the dyndns client which may be built in to your router or you can run it on a pc, this will update your ip address each time it changes. Then forward your ports, set up the active-X on your browser.
    If you need any help let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 39 karj28

Jnealon wrote: »
    It's very easy to set up. You'll need the dyndns client which may be built in to your router or you can run it on a pc, this will update your ip address each time it changes. Then forward your ports, set up the active-X on your browser.
    If you need any help let me know

hey Jnealon thanks for that id say i will need your help. i wont have a pc over there to run the dyndns software so i would need to get a router with this feature built in? that might be difficult as i have two options for the router, a usb one to plug the 3 dongle into it or else a 3g router with sim card. could the dvr have this software installed or something

also 3 internet is my only option...

Yes some dvrs will have this feature. Can you post some links of what kit you intend to use

• Advertisement

hey i am not sure of the spec of the cameras and dvr yet......the guy is getting back to me today with that hopefully and a price..i am getting a dovado 3gn router, it supports dyndns and i can plug the 3 dongle into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

If You are going to use 3GN wireless connection for your other computers in the house, then I would recommend DOVADO 4GN router (it has better wireless performance have two aerials with better gain, MIMO and N technology plus 1GB lan and of course more expensive but future proof :rolleyes: ).
    If you use only cable connections then 3GN is perfect.
    And for the DVR check that it has H.264 compression on board (that means better compression, lower picture size, more data in HDD, better performance over the network and lower bill from three).

hey, no there will be no other computers as there is no dwelling house on the farm so everything will be in the farm shed wired up. so ill stick with the 3gn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RYBO

karj28 wrote: »
    hey, no there will be no other computers as there is no dwelling house on the farm so everything will be in the farm shed wired up. so ill stick with the 3gn
    Hi one thing you might consider is not all 3g providers allow port forwarding. Some of there ports are blocked make sure you check before you choose provider.

altor wrote: »
    You will need to purchase a system and set it up. For info on setting up dynDNS they have everything explained here.

I’m having problems setting up my dyndns can you help me.
    :p:p:p:p:):):):)

• Advertisement

RYBO wrote: »
    I’m having problems setting up my dyndns can you help me.
    :p:p:p:p:):):):)

More than happy to RYBO, what problems are you having :rolleyes: :D

Post what problems you're having and we'll sort it

:(
    RYBO wrote: »
    Hi one thing you might consider is not all 3g providers allow port forwarding. Some of there ports are blocked make sure you check before you choose provider.

god i hope that three allow it because it is the only one I can use ..
    has anybody done portforwarding with 3 mobile before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

well didn't try with 3 but I think only some ports(like port 80) not allowed you can use port redirect (in dyndns config) if that's the case.

Thanks at least i know that there is a way around it. from what i have read i won't be using port 80 for the dvr anyway or at least i think i won't!

karj28 wrote: »
    :(

god i hope that three allow it because it is the only one I can use ..
    has anybody done portforwarding with 3 mobile before?[/QUThresholds

There's no problem port forwarding with 3 mobile.

thats good :). getting system in the next few days will let ye know how i get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 trixie_belle

Hi All,

Was also thinking of setting up a calving camera so it can be viewed over the internet. It's already being recieved in the house on the TV3 arial - so what I was thinking of doing was to set the PC up to recieve the feed also (using a usb tv tuner - can plug arial directly into it), and then using orb to stream the live feed to remote devices (hopefully an android phone or similar). It's all in my head at the minute - anyone done anything similar - and what were the results like?

Perhaps might get OUT for dinner for once in Feb or March!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

Hi All,

Was also thinking of setting up a calving camera so it can be viewed over the internet. It's already being recieved in the house on the TV3 arial - so what I was thinking of doing was to set the PC up to recieve the feed also (using a usb tv tuner - can plug arial directly into it), and then using orb to stream the live feed to remote devices (hopefully an android phone or similar). It's all in my head at the minute - anyone done anything similar - and what were the results like?

Perhaps might get OUT for dinner for once in Feb or March!!!

I've done a similar project recently but with IP cameras as the shed is approx. 4KM from owner's house. In your case I would suggest to use a DVR instead of PC, as it may be cheaper and simpler to install. You need to feed a signal from camera to DVR, connect Internet to DVR, install software on your iPhone or Android phone and that's pretty it in a very basic description. Bonus is that you will be able to log in to camera form computer as well. Most of decent DVR's support mobile applications, sometimes you can get them for free ;)
    Any questions give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I'm in similar situation
    Have a DVR and 3 or 4 cams and want to access it remotely
    No broadband available, so mobile is only option
    No reception from 3, no reception from VF, none from Meteor or eMobile
    Good reception from O2. Tried E220 modem there on laptop and got about 2.5M down (totally doesnt matter) and 340k up.
    As the only thing going in this building is the DVR, I have absolutely no need for download speeds, but 340k upload will be enough to even take a peek at it now and again.

The issue is, I tried the E220 in an Edimax router (6200N) and tried changing ports, but from what I can see, O2 seem to block ALL ports? Does anybody know if this is the case? If so, I have to forget about trying O2 as an option

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    from what I can see, O2 seem to block ALL ports? Does anybody know if this is the case? If so, I have to forget about trying O2 as an option

The best people to ask this is here, hopefully they can help with your question :D

Ring O2. Was on to them about something similar and got what I needed from them

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pgjk

Have a look at the add below and see what ye think. DIY set up if you are relatively handy on a computer.
    If your shed is away from the yard they can be set up using 3G mobile service (O2), service charge would apply though (€20/month approx)
    If your shed is near your house then you could extend your wifi range down to the shed or else run a network cable and pick up the camera that way, can have up to nine cameras running and even more with additional software!
    Cameras can be viewed anywhere once your connected to the internet and with any android phone (iphone, galaxy etc)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2577439

Advertisement