Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda and Social Welfare now combining for checkpoints

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

The social welfare were doing spot checks on staff in the English market too a few weeks ago, bit intrusive I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Jagle wrote: »
    surely your under no obligation to answer, i cant see why you would be. anyone wanna correct me here?
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    You dont have to tell them anything. Either the guards or social welfare. How dare they stop cars and waste gardai time to catch someone on the dole, when there are drug dealers out there making more money than us and the guards put together.

If you have nothing to hide there's no harm in answering a few questions and going about life happily after, why draw the stress on yourself by arguing?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

this is fantastic, there are so many welfare cheats out there. i work near ifsc and all you have to is just drive down around the **** hole sherrif street and you'll see so many people living in the council houses claiming social welfare yet driving 08 bmw and holidaying all the time. nowim sure drugs plays a part.

the way i look at it is, i work, pay my taxes, pay my insurance, pay my car tax, i dont use agricultural diesel so i will not be a concerned at all if i come across a garda, welfare, customs, rsa checkpoint. hey should do this more often.

this is fantastic, there are so many welfare cheats out there. i work near ifsc and all you have to is just drive down around the **** hole sherrif street and you'll see so many people living in the council houses claiming social welfare yet driving 08 bmw and holidaying all the time. nowim sure drugs plays a part

Just out of interest how do you know they are claiming social welfare? I know quite a few people living in Cork City who live in council houses who were brought up in them, their parents have passed away but it is still their home, they are working and pay an agreed rent (quite a fair bit actually). Your attitude to council housing and those living in it are quite blinkered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

mudokon wrote: »
    I'd say there would never be a case of a person being arrested at a roadblock for social welfare fraud as these cases would take a lot of time to procure the evidence required for a conviction.

They are with the Gardai as the social welfare would have no right to stop you at a road block. What they are doing is just taking details while you are talking to the Gards. If they get your PPS number it is a simple cross check to see if you are claiming and if you have answered yes or no to whether you are employed.

Hadn't thought of it that way,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

staker wrote: »
    Im sorry but they left the bankers and politicians off with millions so why get involved in social welfare money.
    That makes no sense imo.

Im saying the guards never got involved in all the bankers and politicians that have taken millions over the years, yet are trying to hunt down people who are getting 200e a week.

I know there are social welfare scammers but do any of people out there know anyone that is on the dole?? Take this type of situation. People who had well paid jobs, got mortgages on houses in the middle of nowhere because they couldnt afford to live in the city. Now are stuck down there with no money for petrol let alone their house. Can you understand how long they waited to get the dole? Especially if they were self employed? So they get offered a few days work, nothing permanent and you want them to sign off for a few weeks while the work is there, then sign back on and wait another 2 months to get money again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Im saying the guards never got involved in all the bankers and politicians that have taken millions over the years, yet are trying to hunt down people who are getting 200e a week.

I could be wrong here but weren't the gards pretty much powerless regarding bankers etc due to lax laws regarding white collar crime? That being said I haven't heard much about that white collar crime bill that they were planning to introduce recently.

Even if that bill was passed it would be unlikely that it would apply retroactively.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very windy out there tonight,nearly got blown away on my way back from the cinema :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

True. I guess that's cause I'd chatted to a taxi driver at the weekend who'd collected 2 non-nationals, 2 kids, all their shopping and couldn't believe what he told me. They put all their shopping in which filled the boot, and left the buggies behind because the social welfare would give them two more.

So - that's my bad, and I probably shouldn't have posted that. Obviously too late now as I've pulled the trigger, but I'll retract that.

That rubbish has been going around Cork for years, I see its now Buggies rather than the 1 Buggie in the original, Iv heard that story loads of times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Sounds like a cover up looking for someone else.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    That rubbish has been going around Cork for years, I see its now Buggies rather than the 1 Buggie in the original, Iv heard that story loads of times..

Have you never spotted the abandoned buggies at bus stops?
    I personally saw it aswell.So seeing is believing.Dont much care what people think i know what i saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,562 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who the hell knows their pps number off by heart :eek:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I do, I still know my national insurance number from England as well and I haven't used that in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

caseyann wrote: »
    Have you never spotted the abandoned buggies at bus stops?
    I personally saw it aswell.So seeing is believing.Dont much care what people think i know what i saw.

Did you see who left the buggies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The story started out as an African lady getting on a bus. Now it has progressed to two women and a taxi.

Do social welfare really hand out buggies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

True. I guess that's cause I'd chatted to a taxi driver at the weekend who'd collected 2 non-nationals, 2 kids, all their shopping and couldn't believe what he told me. They put all their shopping in which filled the boot, and left the buggies behind because the social welfare would give them two more.

That crap story has been around for a few years but it changes between Polish/Nigerians/travelers, taxi/bus, the rest stays the same

Similar to the one about 5 years ago which I heard a good few times which kept changing from the Latvian/Lithuanian girlfriend/employee
    who racked up a 500/1000 phone bill ringing her mothers mobile back home and disappeared

I'd highly recommended doing my taxi driver test,
    A few years ago being dropped to work I pretended to work in a nearby building
    and asked him if he knew anything about the place I really worked in,
    I then listened to the bull coming out of his mouth about someone that didn't even exist,
    when getting out I let him know he was full of sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

dory wrote: »
    The story started out as an African lady getting on a bus. Now it has progressed to two women and a taxi.

Do social welfare really hand out buggies?

No but than can give money towards them - but it applies to all people who are claiming social welfare - Irish, other EU, asylum seekers or otherwise - there are no special cases - "Exceptional needs payments — such as help towards the purchase of buggies — may also be provided towards the cost of children’s needs or bills can also be paid in both cases at the discretion of the community Care Welfare Officer."

"Refuting allegations that women have been seen abandoning prams and buggies at bus stops, Mr. Kennedy has detailed that in the case of lost or stolen buggies the Gardai are informed. Assistance has been provided towards the cost of 86 prams/buggies in the first five months of this year."

^ That's from a newspaper article from 2003.

as is this:

Myths dispelled

"Contrary to rumour, which is often accepted as fact by the misinformed, asylum seekers do not receive any of the following:

Subsidised cars

Free Car Insurance

Lump sum payments on their children’s birthday

Get free taxis

Free televisions

Free stereos

Free mobile telephones

Assistance with the cost of mobile telephone calls

Free electricity

Free television licences"

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=kfkfmhcwid

evilivor wrote: »
    Did you see who left the buggies?

Twice a black women,and once a junkie girl who could barely walk and had no kid with her.

No but than can give money towards them - but it applies to all people who are claiming social welfare - Irish, other EU, asylum seekers or otherwise - there are no special cases - "Exceptional needs payments — such as help towards the purchase of buggies — may also be provided towards the cost of children’s needs or bills can also be paid in both cases at the discretion of the community Care Welfare Officer."

"Refuting allegations that women have been seen abandoning prams and buggies at bus stops, Mr. Kennedy has detailed that in the case of lost or stolen buggies the Gardai are informed. Assistance has been provided towards the cost of 86 prams/buggies in the first five months of this year."

as is this:

Myths dispelled

"Contrary to rumour, which is often accepted as fact by the misinformed, asylum seekers do not receive any of the following:

Subsidised cars

Free Car Insurance

Get free taxis

Free televisions

Free stereos

Free mobile telephones

Free electricity

I never heard any of those other Rumours just the cash for a car because they were being racially abused on buses and free travel expenses.
    They get a 2grand check when they move into their houses for their cooker etc... and friend of mine got a house off the council and the council guy said.Thanks god we are giving a house to Irish girl in private estate because they were handing them only out to non Irish.He also said they complain when no downstairs bathroom.

How the hell did this thread get to be about buggies and non Irish lol :P

Back to the thread title,i believe they must be looking for other people and wouldnt be stopping people in cars for welfare checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Anyone who's good at remembering numbers!

I do, but then again I've been using it alot recently.

I've heard of these kind of check points, up in Meath before christmas there was one.

Well in nearly 2 years of driving I've only been stopped once.

Garda: "Do you have drink taken?"
    Me: "No"
    Garda: "Grand so, good night"
    Me: "ok, you too, vroooooooooom"

If they catch people fair enough, I'm sure they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Is that story still doing the rounds? Heard it 20 years ago but it was about single mothers and a bus instead of a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I think it's a great idea to do these checks, a few minutes out of my day to catch these maggot's and save the country a few bob seem's well worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

I was driving through Parnell Place one night and thought I had come upon a major crime scene,Gardai everywhere stopping lots of cars and plain clothes people everywhere.Asked the Garda who stopped me what was going on he said welfare check on taxi's and hackneys . Makes sense I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

I would tell them to take me in I wouldnt give all that info road side they could be anybody ffs!

BlackBlade wrote: »
    I would tell them to take me in I wouldnt give all that info road side they could be anybody ffs!

It could be Sinn Féin in Garda uniforms :D

Thats very true could be any weirdo stopping cars.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

caseyann wrote: »
    It could be Sinn Féin in Garda uniforms :D

Thats very true could be any weirdo stopping cars.

Ah yes. Lets take the most unlikely situation rather than the most likely one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Would be so much easier if they could just use computers like other countries.

Simple solution - every has a card, with their PPS and photo on it. When the gardai stop them all they should have to do is scan their card and see if they're claiming. Loads of other countries make it mandatory to carry ID, why can't we do it?

And no more of this - send in your P60 bull. When you start a new job they should be able to scan in your details. Why are the government afraid of technology?

dory wrote: »
    Would be so much easier if they could just use computers like other countries.

Simple solution - every has a card, with their PPS and photo on it. When the gardai stop them all they should have to do is scan their card and see if they're claiming. Loads of other countries make it mandatory to carry ID, why can't we do it?

And no more of this - send in your P60 bull. When you start a new job they should be able to scan in your details. Why are the government afraid of technology?

Unless I'm missing something, then having an ID card with your PPS number linked to it wouldn't solve anything unless they were scanning people's ID while they are at work.

As for technology. it could be applied in many more circumstances than it is currently used for but the track record of the government with the e-voting machines fiasco wouldn't fill me full of confidence that they could implement it and manage it competently.

parsi wrote: »
    Ah yes. Lets take the most unlikely situation rather than the most likely one.

emm why would that be then chief?
    it was going on for months last year where 2 lads in a mondeo and uniforms pulling cars over actually robbed them!
    so try getting off your computer and into the real world every now and then and you might see that **** does tend to happen!

• Advertisement

as is this:

Myths dispelled

Subsidised cars

Free Car Insurance

Get free taxis

Free televisions

Free stereos

Free mobile telephones

Free electricity

your talking pipe anyway!
    I have personally seen social welfare cheques in the motor trade FACT!
    AND socializing allowance!
    I have friends from all over the world Im not getting at anybody but I have seen both the above with my own eyes so you can say what you like but they are real!

Advertisement