Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I A £35m Striker?

• 02-02-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22.

Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. Including a goal against the reigning champions, away at Arsenal and in a home win over Liverpool. My form earned me an England call-up and my debut in an international friendly.

Am a I £35M striker?

No, I am Michael Ricketts - February 2002.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

And?

If you're gonna go by stats, Carroll has been a better player than Torres this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Paully D wrote: »
    I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22.

Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. Including a goal against the reigning champions, away at Arsenal and in a home win over Liverpool. My form earned me an England call-up and my debut in an international friendly.

Am a I £35M striker?

That is oddly eerie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Am I a helicopter?

No. No I am not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Great copy and paste chief. It's in the F365 mailbox today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Am a I £35M striker?

Lol. Lets hope Carroll proves a little better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Played very well in the Championship last year. Best player in his team this year.

Our own Seamie Coleman is worth 35 million it seems :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Am I a helicopter?

No. No I am not.

Yes you are.

One of them fancy auto-pilot ones at that.

Fuch you're right! I am a helicopter.

I am AIRWOLF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Fuch you're right! I am a helicopter.

I am AIRWOLF.

I was thinking more along the lines of them machine gun ones from GTA IV >_>

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can look at stats all day long, how the player actually plays determines their value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

You can look at stats all day long, how the player actually plays determines their value.

Yeah, Darren Bent confirms that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

markesmith wrote: »
    Yeah, Darren Bent confirms that :rolleyes:

I honestly believe the only reason for such a price difference were the clubs involved i.e. had pool gone for bent he'd off been a hell of a lot more then that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Am a I £35M striker?

I dont get it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

looks like him and carrol have even more in common
    Footballer Michael Ricketts sorry for girlfriend attack
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12210100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

How much would Ricketts cost today? Absolutely nothing! Now, there's a bargain! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

evil_seed wrote: »
    Great copy and paste chief. It's in the F365 mailbox today

Zing....haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

too right, robinho and Shevchenko both cost £30M+ each and they scored a COMBINED 20 league goals in their time in england, carroll already has 14 premier league goals so well on the way :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's mad money, it appears Spurs might have put in a bid too so Newcastle took advantage of that.

He's young, has serious potential, as a blogger put it, "he's what Peter Crouch should have been". Highly rated by Capello, Wenger, Shearer, Beardsley and obviously Dalglish who wanted to bring Shearer to Pool in 1991 for big money then. I don't think he is a one trick pony either.

There are obvious concerns with his off pitch antics but seems to be no issues with his on field temperament. Give it a year and we'll see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

K-9 wrote: »

There are obvious concerns with his off pitch antics but seems to be no issues with his on field temperament. Give it a year and we'll see.

I'm sure his club captain will teach him how to behave properly and avoid trouble when he's out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sure his club captain will teach him how to behave properly and avoid trouble when he's out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Point well made sir.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Maude ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

You can do a similar comparison with David Speedie and Alan Shearer.

We know how that turned out

You can do a similar comparison with David Speedie and Alan Shearer.

We know how that turned out

Or Ronnie Rosenthal.

Who knows? Otherwise this wouldn't be a topic for discussion.

Dalglish seems to know a good Geordie footballer though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rossie1977 wrote: »
    too right, robinho and Shevchenko both cost £30M+ each and they scored a COMBINED 20 league goals in their time in england, carroll already has 14 premier league goals so well on the way :p

hate to be pedantic but he doesnt have 14 league goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Am a I £35M striker?

I scored 13 goals in 41 appearances in the top division when i was 21.

I scored a hat trick in one of my first few appearances in the top division.

I made 1 goalless appearance for england.

I was signed by kenny dalglish for a record breaking transfer fee aged just 22.

Am i a fruit pastil?

No, i am Alan Shearer.

Blah blah, etc etc.

Stats, what they reveal is suggestive, what they conceal is vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

kryogen wrote: »
    Also, Robinho and Shevchenko had 23 league goals between them, not 20...

daithijjj wrote: »
    I scored 13 goals in 41 appearances in the top division when i was 21.

I scored a hat trick in one of my first few appearances in the top division.

I made 1 goalless appearance for england.

I was signed by kenny dalglish for a record breaking transfer fee aged just 22.

Am i a fruit pastil?

No, i am Alan Shearer.

Blah blah, etc etc.

Stats, what they reveal is suggestive, what they conceal is vital.

His PL record was 23 in 118 games I think. 1 good season and 2 promising, but hardly prolific before it.

He also had Le Tissier to partner him, something Carroll didn't!

His PL record was 23 in 118 games I think. 1 good season and 2 promising, but hardly prolific before it.

He also had Le Tissier to partner him, something Carroll didn't!

Shearer scored 2 more goals when he was that age, but he played 22 more games to get them.

He will be lethal if the club get 1 or 2 quality wide men. It really could be the next Toshack and Keegan with him and Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Shearer scored 2 more goals when he was that age, but he played 22 more games to get them.

He will be lethal if the club get 1 or 2 quality wide men. It really could be the next Toshack and Keegan with him and Suarez.

*Checks his cacks*.... yeah, I've just jizzed myself at that thought

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, but I suppose knockers will say 17 of Carroll's were at Championship level.

I remember seeing him in a couple of games last season and was impressed, usual doubts, about would he be good enough for the PL, time, pace etc.

He seems to have come on a hell of a lot since then. He definitely has loads about him and believes in himself. Pressure in the PL didn't phase him. Seems to have a football brain too, gets into good positions naturally, it's instinctive to him.

Seem to get into bad positions off the pitch! But he's 22 and has let a hell of a lot go to his head. Doesn't lack self belief though on the pitch!

Ah yeah, but I suppose knockers will say 17 of Carroll's were at Championship level.

I remember seeing him in a couple of games last season and was impressed, usual doubts, about would he be good enough for the PL, time, pace etc.

He seems to have come on a hell of a lot since then. He definitely has loads about him and believes in himself. Pressure in the PL didn't phase him. Seems to have a football brain too, gets into good positions naturally, it's instinctive to him.

Seem to get into bad positions off the pitch! But he's 22 and has let a hell of a lot go to his head. Doesn't lack self belief though on the pitch!

Nah, thats just his prem stats, hes scored 11 in 19 i think, Shearer had 13 in 41 at the same age. I dont really want to compare him to shearer but shearer was apt for getting across the point i was trying to make in the first post, being that they were both a record breaking transfer at 22.

Its all about the service though, strikers are generally only as good as that is to be honest and liverpools is not what id call 'brilliant' at this point in time. Carra said it tonight and hopefully the club addresses that in the summer and makes a good go of it next season with a first team hungry and most of it the right side of 27.

Nah, thats just his prem stats, hes scored 11 in 19 i think, Shearer had 13 in 41 at the same age. I dont really want to compare him to shearer but shearer was apt for getting across the point i was trying to make in the first post, being that they were both a record breaking transfer at 22.

Its all about the service though, strikers are generally only as good as that is to be honest and liverpools is not what id call 'brilliant' at this point in time. Carra said it tonight and hopefully the club addresses that in the summer and makes a good go of it next season with a first team hungry and most of it the right side of 27.

Indeed, think I was having the same debate in the Pool thread, but from your view, which I agree with.

Shearer had 23 in 118 games as far as I know, scored a hat trick on a début and went quite enough for a season or 2. Carroll has 31 or so in 80 odd games. Dalglish improved Shearer and Shearer admits that. I suupose the question is, will Caroll listen? on field improvement suggests he will, off field raises doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

:) A Sunderland fan started the thread, no agenda at all there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who's going to score the goals for Newkie now? If they go down this season or next do to a misfiring strikeforce £35 million will have been too little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Am a I £35M striker?

So in conclusion, Liverpool have taken a big risk on Andy Carroll's potential.

Clap.

Clap.

Clap.

It's a good point well made, but a point that's been made by absolutely everybody with an opinion on football for the last week. We all know why they paid as much as they did for Carroll, we all know it's very steep. Let's move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

kryogen wrote: »

Yes he does.

3 in 2008/09 and 11 this season = 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Who cares how much he cost. It's a deal that had to be done which rose the prices of both Torres and Carroll to ridiculous amounts.

Liverpool made a £15 million profit on the deal.

If Torres had been sold for £25 million which is probably his fair value at the moment and Carroll was bought for £10 million no one would give a crap about the deal.

And sure who would have thought after Torres' World Cup that his value would be anywhere close to £50 million? Not me for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool made a £15 million profit on the deal.
    on what deal? That's like saying United made a £63 million profit on the Valencia deal a couple of years ago, that's not how it works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Liam O wrote: »
    on what deal? That's like saying United made a £63 million profit on the Valencia deal a couple of years ago, that's not how it works...

It doesn't count when talking about United.

There earnings on transfers are squandered on the repayment of debt.

I'm still a helicopter by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm still a helicopter by the way.

Sheffield United fan then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It doesn't count when talking about United.

I really wish more people would admit this.

Advertisement