Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men's Health Week (June 13-19, 2011)

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd highlight the dates in case anyone is interested although it is still very early so less important now. I know a few of us (including one of the mods) used a logo they had as a sig on boards.ie during the week last year.

Some issues like fathering are probably best discussed in other threads (there is often one open that is fairly recent).

There will probably be events that will be announced nearer the time.

From the Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) e-newsletter, e-Male matters, February issue
    Let’s Talk about Men’s Health

This year, International Men's Health Week (MHW) will run from Monday 13th until Sunday 19th June 2011. The focus in Ireland will be upon: "Promoting and Supporting the Health and Well-Being of Men and Boys during Challenging Times". The world of men, and the roles that they play in it, have certainly changed dramatically in a very short period of time. All of these changes bring new challenges (both positive and negative). Therefore, the key message for this week will be: “let’s talk about it”. But what is there to talk about? ...

 The current economic recession has made a huge impact upon men’s jobs, status, income, spending, lifestyle, debt, sense of security and health.

 On average, men are living longer, but they are not, necessarily, healthier.

 Men face a range of acute and chronic illnesses, many of which are preventable.

 Father’s roles / the expectations of fathers have expanded, but the number of disputed cases relating to access to children is also rising.

 Obesity is on the increase, while healthy eating and exercise are decreasing.

 Depression in men is becoming more prevalent (or at least acknowledged) and the male suicide rate is still extremely high.

 Males are often not aware of where and how to find help and support.

 Young men (particularly) engage in a range of high-risk activities.

 There is increasing recognition that males can be victims of domestic abuse.

 There are a lot of projects that work with men to improve their health, but we are still unsure about what ‘effective practice’ with men looks like.

 The Republic of Ireland has a Men’s Health Policy, but is it making a difference? On the other hand, Northern Ireland does not even have a framework for evaluating if men’s health needs are being met ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

What is the Irish Governments Mens Health policy and what is its budget

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

CDfm wrote: »
    What is the Irish Governments Mens Health policy and what is its budget
    (In case you/others think I was being rude by not replying) I don't know.

kangaroo wrote: »

Thats ok -there probably isnt one.

I will link up with the politics thread and ask

kangaroo wrote: »

There I linked it up

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70522937#post70522937

Advertisement