Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Retires from Football

• 02-02-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Football will never be the same again. Remember where you were this day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It's going to be a sad evening in the LFC forum :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn! The decent one.

Oh wait that's Phil isn't it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Excellent right back, world-class wind-up merchant.

Legend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not a moment too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He was a cracking player in his day and is a Manchester United legend which is no easy achievement.

I just hope we don't have to listen to him on Sky Sports every weekend now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Probably better off. He's looked well off the pace for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

great player..should have won at least one world cup!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Football will never be the same again. Remember where you were this day.

I read recently that SKY have all but signed him up to be a pundit alongside Jamie Redknapp. Thought for sure he'd stay on until the end of the season though.

Very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fergie's gonna have to find a new Smithers now....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I thought he retired years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Red legend, one of the most under rated Premier League players ever. His combination with Beckham on our right hand side was one of the best combinations we had over the years. As competent going forward as he was at defending, sadly he hasn't enjoyed the longevity of Scholes and Giggs. Red legend, without a doubt. Such a huge fan of the club too, which is always a joy to see. But by God, he really hated scousers. As I said, red legend ;)

gary_neville_1562677c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I get the feeling Scholes will follow him this season as well.

As much as I disliked him as a Liverpool supporter, have to say, he was a cracking right back, probably the best in the premier league era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well at least he'll be able to a devote a lot more time to working on his mustache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Strange timing isn't it mid season and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'm a Liverpool fan, and I've only recently posted glowing comments concerning Edwin Van Der Sar and Paul Scholes on a United forum, as they were both considering retirement. Both top professionals in more ways than one. And I stand by that. I will also do the same for Giggs when he retires.

But I could never ever do the same when it comes to this clown. He is a nasty piece of work and has behaved like a child on numerous occasions. I honestly think he is a very bitter and hateful person and will suffer as a result down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Best RB the prem has seen

Thanks for all Neville.

Maybe the rumours of him moving to Sky are now true?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

smiley015.gif

Shame Roy Keane was sacked from Ipswich, old' Gaz could have joined him there and hid behind him like the good old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

He should really backdate his retirement by around a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I always liked him TBH. Complete tit but he made Liverpool fans sooooooooo mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Not really a United fan but G-Nev is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He doesn't have the respect of neutral and rival fans like Scholes or Giggs, but that's because he shows a lot more passion for the club and vitriol for its rivals. For that reason, he'll go down as a United hero, but won't be missed by others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

He won't be missed......

Sure he's been awful anyway....ever since he was made captain - injuries and complete loss of form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone know if that story about his swimming pool is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Can't really find anything good to say about this guy. Normally can come up with something no matter who they played for, like VDS etc. Just hated this fool, and happy to see him pack it in. Just hope this doesn't mean he has a gig on Sky sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Best RB the prem has seen

Thanks for all Neville.

Maybe the rumours of him moving to Sky are now true?

Would you not consider Irwin to be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

kraggy wrote: »
    Would you not consider Irwin to be better?

Irwin was primarily a left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Not a suprise at all.

He will be 36 soon, and he has not been playing consistently for United for some time, and has not been capped by England since 2007.

He was a fantastic right back. In the latter half of the ninties and the early side of the noughties he was England's best right back. He won much of what there is to be won, and everybody will remember his goal against Middlesborough in 1997 when it appeared that he would never score for United.

His one detraction was his pettyness. His failure to shake Schmeichael's hand in 2002 still rankles with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Irwin was primarily a left back.

He played LB cos UTD at the time had Parker and no LB. He was always a RB for Ireland iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Never liked the guy and dont think its a big loss to utd either.

Didn't have the same class as Giggsy and Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fair play to him, will go down as one of the best full-backs to have played for United and in the Premiership.

He probably could have gone last year or the year before and his performances did deteriorate due to injury. But he really is a fan like us, and if we were in his position we'd cling on to the hope of performing at the top level for as long as possible.

Him and Becks were the best wide combination in the world for years and he was ever reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Sad day for United fans but his day had come and just wasn't good enough anymore. Sky Sports have signed him up so i'd say this made his mind up.

Always loved how much he despised and hated the scousers, a man after my own heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

doc_17 wrote: »
    He played LB cos UTD at the time had Parker and no LB. He was always a RB for Ireland iirc

no he wasnt. Irwin was mostly a LB

doc_17 wrote: »

He played right back for Ireland because Staunton played left back, and later in his career Ian Harte played left back so Irwin was slotted in at right.

He was always a left back though, and as many will point out he was one of the greatest right footed left backs.

His position was left back for United, because he was a left back, it had nothing to do with who was at right back.

• Advertisement

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I'm a Liverpool fan, and I've only recently posted glowing comments concerning Edwin Van Der Sar and Paul Scholes on a United forum, as they were both considering retirement. Both top professionals in more ways than one. And I stand by that. I will also do the same for Giggs when he retires.

But I could never ever do the same when it comes to this clown. He is a nasty piece of work and has behaved like a child on numerous occasions. I honestly think he is a very bitter and hateful person and will suffer as a result down the line.

Irony much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Great defender in his day.
    Was the best RB in the EPL ever probably.
    Loved by the United fans, hated by the rest.

Quite a good actor too, was exceptional in '15 Minutes That Shook The World'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Het-Field wrote: »

His one detraction was his pettyness. His failure to shake Schmeichael's hand in 2002 still rankles with me.

Schmeichel was merely informing Neville that he was in fact on the wrong side of the tunnel, not looking for a handshake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thanks for the memories gary,a true red legend.

This man was a Red Devil through and through,a great full back in his pomp though recently he was on the decline.His hatred for scousers was deep,he really did add extra to the United v Pool matches with his antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Gary Neville is a red, is a red, is a red....

602 appearances, countless trophies, club captaincy. He has done it all. Club legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

SkyBet to become Man Utd’s next permanent manager after he retired from football with immediate effect

Zak Flaps wrote: »

People moan all the time that football players have no dedication to their clubs and would happily move away once more money came their way.

Gary Neville was probably one of the most dedicated United players and dedicated footballers around and would probably have sooner retired than been sold so much was his love and attachment for the club.

Look at someone like Torres who claimed Liverpool was the club for him blah blah blah and then hightailed it when things started going downhill and to one of Liverpools rivals no less, do you ever think Neville would have done that? How many times has Torres kissed the Liverpool crest, how many times has Neville? Who do you think actually showed their true beliefs in doing it. Its a much bigger crime that Torres kissed the Pool crest when clearly he didn't give a crap, whereas the Neviller did and it was 100% how he felt.

I can understand why other fans hate him, but he was passionate about the club he played for, and petty or not, his honesty in relation to his love for United is a lot more real than most other players in the game. He was United to the death and whilst you may hate the guy, you can't help but respect his dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

A solid rock at right back. Done the job consistently for years. The ankle injury in 07 really set him back, then a few niggling injuries. Was at a loss of form since then but did have some moments in 08/09 & 09/10 but this was deffo his last year. It had passed him by.

Still an absolute legend and a great player no matter what others say.

Cheers for all the dedication & hard work Gary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Best of luck to him
    mike65 wrote: »
    Oh wait that's Phil isn't it?

What a brilliant post man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Little known fact matey holland went to school with neville!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Schmeichel was merely informing Neville that he was in fact on the wrong side of the tunnel, not looking for a handshake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqg49uKIfE

Res ipsa loquitur

Het-Field wrote: »

Sums up the man for me. He'll have more time to spend in his Telly-Tubby house now at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Never liked the lad and I don't think he'd have it any other way. He was a solid player and had a great career, it's a pity he finished up the way he did. It would have been more fitting if he retired post season having played more games, but I guess he didn't have much of a say in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Sums up the man for me. He'll have more time to spend in his Telly-Tubby house now at least.

Hope it's big enough to store all the medals.

#15 wrote: »
    Hope it's big enough to store all the medals.

Medals by their nature are small and easily stored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement