Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Retires from Football

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

There hasnt been that many great right backs in the premier league tho really so maybe he could take that tittle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As United fan, in no way would I think Neville was best right back ever in Premiership.

Yes even Steve Finnan was far better player, very underrated actually was Finnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Neville was on the the PFA team of the year 5 times and also was on the premiership team of the decade (1st ten years) .Dixon ,Finnan or Carr don't come close to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eagle eye wrote: »
    Most overrated full back ever, a title that belonged to Paul Parker before him.

Overrated my BOLLOX. I thought he was reliable, great crosser of the ball, played in the most successful side in my life time - he was no Denis Irwin though

Oh no did I just rate two United players highly...I'm so biased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I actually think Steve Finnan became over rated because so many people were saying how under rated he was. He was average, nothing more.

Neville was a weird mixture. He did some things very well but made pretty regular mistakes. Playing in the teams he played in, they were often covered up and he was able to make a decent contribution to the team. His role behind the scenes was much more important than on the pitch.

The past 5 years he has been terrible, he lost a yard or two of pace and his limitations were much more exposed. His spate of injuries have been a massive help to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

monkey9 wrote: »
    An absolute clown of the highest order. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

No, actually I would piss on him if he was on fire cos my piss still wouldn't put the fire out and i'd get to insult him one more time.
    NEVILLE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

eagle eye wrote: »
    Most overrated full back ever, a title that belonged to Paul Parker before him.

lol

Ah ya the amount people that mention Paul Parker as greatest RB ever is huge.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The only thing better then Nevilles ability as a right back was his ability to wind up opposition fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Twitter........
    Gary Neville wants a job at Sky? He's an angry, self-obsessed, blinkered Man Utd fan. Much better suited to refereeing, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

People moan all the time that football players have no dedication to their clubs and would happily move away once more money came their way.

Gary Neville was probably one of the most dedicated United players and dedicated footballers around and would probably have sooner retired than been sold so much was his love and attachment for the club.

Look at someone like Torres who claimed Liverpool was the club for him blah blah blah and then hightailed it when things started going downhill and to one of Liverpools rivals no less, do you ever think Neville would have done that? How many times has Torres kissed the Liverpool crest, how many times has Neville? Who do you think actually showed their true beliefs in doing it. Its a much bigger crime that Torres kissed the Pool crest when clearly he didn't give a crap, whereas the Neviller did and it was 100% how he felt.

I can understand why other fans hate him, but he was passionate about the club he played for, and petty or not, his honesty in relation to his love for United is a lot more real than most other players in the game. He was United to the death and whilst you may hate the guy, you can't help but respect his dedication.

I didn't say he hadn't any dedication, indeed you are right, he was dedicated to United all his life.
    Comparing him to Torres isn't apt. He should be compared to the likes of Gerard, Giggs, Carragher, Scholes etc.... None of these players ever went round constantly shooting their mouth off at every given opportunity.
    Ok, he was a dedicated player, and he served United well and was a good player also.

But let's not forget that he's a pr1ck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I didn't say he hadn't any dedication, indeed you are right, he was dedicated to United all his life.
    Comparing him to Torres isn't apt. He should be compared to the likes of Gerard, Giggs, Carragher, Scholes etc.... None of these players ever went round constantly shooting their mouth off at every given opportunity.
    Ok, he was a dedicated player, and he served United well and was a good player also.

Not really a great example, I seem to remember Carragher fighting with some player, Arbeloa?, on the pitch.

Gerrard doesnt really compare either with his transfer request and bar room brawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Haters gonna hate.

610x.jpg

True United legend. He makes me love him more with all the clowns in here giving him loads. Best RB in the PL era, by miles.

Fcuking hero

I don't like Gary Neville as he can be a WUM, but he gave United great service over the years and done a steady job for them and he genuinely loved the club which is rare in the modern era. Probably one of the only footballers around who put the club before his own needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Fair point, maybe Torres was a bad example but even look at Gerrard or Terry who have had transfer and contract 'issues' in the past and realistically we all know they were pining for either a move away or more money, and look at Neviller who never (at least it was never reported) stalled or put out feelers to other clubs despite being one of the best right backs in England for quite an extended period. The club was always a priority for him before himself.

And yeah I can completely see why people think he's a pr!ck. But its in the same way as Pool fans find Utd fans prícks and vice-versa its just that Neviller is a fan and a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Not really a great example, I seem to remember Carragher fighting with some player, Arbeloa?, on the pitch.

Gerrard doesnt really compare either with his transfer request and bar room brawling.

Ok. But was Carragher constantly at that sort of thing? No. Anyway, Arbeloa probably deserved it!:D
    Gerard was messed around by Rafa a lot during that period. As regards the brawl, yes, he was a prick for that. But again I'm repeating myself, Neville was being a prick....all the time!!!
    I'm not having a go cos he's a UTD player, I've been a big fan of UTD players over the years giggs, keane (no saint), scholes, cantona, bruce, hughes etc....
    Fair point, maybe Torres was a bad example but even look at Gerrard or Terry who have had transfer and contract 'issues' in the past and realistically we all know they were pining for either a move away or more money, and look at Neviller who never (at least it was never reported) stalled or put out feelers to other clubs despite being one of the best right backs in England for quite an extended period. The club was always a priority for him before himself.

And yeah I can completely see why people think he's a pr!ck. But its in the same way as Pool fans find Utd fans prícks and vice-versa its just that Neviller is a fan and a player.

Football has become a greedy game unfortunately and so many players have done what terry, gerard, rooney and torres have done. It's a shame as you'd think "are they not making enough money as it is"????

Maybe Neville never did this. Actually,and maybe you can answer this, has any team ever put in a bid for gary neville? Cos I can't remember any?
    But I have the memory of a bag of nipples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Maybe Neville never did this. Actually,and maybe you can answer this, has any team ever put in a bid for gary neville? Cos I can't remember any?
    But I have the memory of a bag of nipples!

If they did it was never known cause Neville was one of the few modern players without an agent. He had no interest in moving or having stories about him moving to get a better contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If they did it was never known cause Neville was one of the few modern players without an agent. He had no interest in moving or having stories about him moving to get a better contract.

Same with Paul Scholes, no agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If every club had every player as commited to that club as much as Gary Neville was to Man Utd,football would be in a much better state then it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Always saddening when a player you grew up watching calls it a day. A fantastic right-back, the greatest of the Premier League era. Cheers for everything Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Speaking as an Arsenal fan, I wouldnt have taken Gary Neville over any of our starting right backs since Gary Neville started playing football. Lee Dixon, Lauren and Bacary Sagna where or are far better than him.

Hopefully he doesnt get a job on Sky now as a pundit, its bad enough with Jamie Redknapp around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Club legend, At his best a top-class right back and a world class wind-up merchant.
    I love the reaction he gets from rival fans :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

J. Marston wrote: »
    Club legend, At his best a top-class right back and a world class wind-up merchant.
    I love the reaction he gets from rival fans :D.

Wont miss him but in saying that, Defo a true legend showing his loyalty to Man U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gary Neville is a red
    Is a red is a red
    Gary Neville is a red
    He hates scousers

Legend. Thanks for all the years of loyal service.

Hopefully he will take a position at the club, he is Man United through and through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Best RB the prem has seen

Thanks for all Neville.

Maybe the rumours of him moving to Sky are now true?

his first match should be a pool one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

174073_523060346_6084959_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

174073_523060346_6084959_n.jpg

you're right.

because one goal in one game against a team two divisions above you means that a player who has spent the last 19 years playing in the top flight is rubbish.

How many PL appearances have the entire squad of Leeds got between them btw? Enjoying the championship this year are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Speaking as an Arsenal fan, I wouldnt have taken Gary Neville over any of our starting right backs since Gary Neville started playing football. Lee Dixon, Lauren and Bacary Sagna where or are far better than him.

Hopefully he doesnt get a job on Sky now as a pundit, its bad enough with Jamie Redknapp around.

I'd nearly give you Dixon, but Lauren and Sagna? You're either suffering an extreme case of bias or you're taking the piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gary Neville yes he was a good player but would people slow down here best ever in the prem come on. Off the top of my head. Dixon, Petrescu, when he played there Irwan (yes he was left predominantly for man u) and yes I'd even take Steve Finnan ahead of him!

Great servant to Man U, good player but not great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't like Gary Neville as he can be a WUM, but he gave United great service over the years and done a steady job for them and he genuinely loved the club which is rare in the modern era. Probably one of the only footballers around who put the club before his own needs

I'm curious as to what you mean by this.

Neville was probably, by default, the best RB in the premiership era but it says far more about the quality of RBs in the premiership era than it does about Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United Legend. Without a doubt.

I'd imagine if I supported any other club I'd hate him and not rate him because of that, but while he was a bit of an asshole, he was our asshole, and a ****ing good right back. Hope that he stays involved in a coaching capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A decent full back in an era where great ones were in short supply. He spent 10 years of his career passing to David Beckham and the other 7 wondering where he'd gone.

His hatchet job on Reyes when we were cheated out of our unbeaten run in 2005 was disgraceful. Will never forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I do actually know of one scouser in full time employment.

Wayne-Rooney_32.jpg

Arguable, he has been part-time since March 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lauren and Bacary Sagna where or are far better than him.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Hands down the best right-full of the Premiership era for me. For the guts of 10 years virtually no attacking player got anything out of him, and he was excellent going forward on top of that.

I'm a bit puzzled by all the shouts for Lee Dixon as a better player. To be fair, I only properly started watching football in the 93/94 season, and it was only a year after that when 20-year old Gary Neville became England's first choice right-full for over a decade, so I guess I never saw Dixon at his best.

But having looked up the stats it appears Lee Dixon gained all but one of his 22 England Caps between 1991-1993. So if he was only England's first choice right back for one year of the Premiership era as against Neville's 10-11, it would seem a bit of a stretch to suggest that he was the best full back of this era? Surely someone thought Neville was the better player or they would have stopped picking him over Dixon game after game after game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Model pro whose loyalty to his club was unquestioned.

Significantly overrated as a footballer by Man U fans, still probably the best of his generation in his position for England.

And a record holder! He holds the record for the most appearances by an outfield player without having scored a goal for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

best RB in the history of the PL.

bar none.

hateful, hateful man though.

and THAT tash....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Hands down the best right-full of the Premiership era for me. For the guts of 10 years virtually no attacking player got anything out of him, and he was excellent going forward on top of that.

I'm a bit puzzled by all the shouts for Lee Dixon as a better player. To be fair, I only properly started watching football in the 93/94 season, and it was only a year after that when 20-year old Gary Neville became England's first choice right-full for over a decade, so I guess I never saw Dixon at his best.

But having looked up the stats it appears Lee Dixon gained all but one of his 22 England Caps between 1991-1993. So if he was only England's first choice right back for one year of the Premiership era as against Neville's 10-11, it would seem a bit of a stretch to suggest that he was the best full back of this era? Surely someone thought Neville was the better player or they would have stopped picking him over Dixon game after game after game?

But Neville was made look better by the great defenders he played with. Dixon didn't have that, he famously played with a clumsy disorganised back 4 and keeper....

As I have said eslewhere, Neville would get my vote as best PL RB for consistency and longevity. There are players who played better than him in particular seasons, (Carr, Finnan would be good examples, even Phil Neville at a time!) but they faded in a way Gary Neville did not (until injuries and age got the better of him).

If you were to sit down at the start of the PL, or close to the start (with hindsight) and decide who your RB was going to be for the until now or the majority of the time - I don't see how you could pick anyone other than Neville.

Talent wise he isn't the very best the PL has seen, nor for natural ability - but football is about what you do, not what you have the potential to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

But I could never ever do the same when it comes to this clown. He is a nasty piece of work and has behaved like a child on numerous occasions. I honestly think he is a very bitter and hateful person and will suffer as a result down the line.

so i take it you won't give gerrard a bow out for his chidish antics?

right..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ntlbell wrote: »
    so i take it you won't give gerrard a bow out for his chidish antics?

right..:rolleyes:

Thread is not about Gerrard :confused:

I love how people base their opinion of who he is as a person, on how they perceive him on the pitch.

Never mind all the work he does with the young lads at United in terms of advise on everything and helping them out. Never mind the PFA stuff he does and the respect he has gained from fellow pro's as a result of that.... never mind his 'green' lifestyle.... nope - disregard it all - he annoyed me on the pitch and has a stupid tash - so he is an arse***.

Same type of thing with someone like Craig Bellamy - annoying little jerk on the pitch (I actually like him) and so many people call him a troubled nutter and call him crap stuff - paying no attention to the extensive and amazing off field charity work he does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Quite possibly the best RB in the league over the last 20 years, but its impossible to say - he was playing surrounded by World Class players.
    Dixon - not a chance - it was the unity of the Arsenal back four that was the strength.

Look at O Shea and Fletcher - stick them in the Stoke team and they would look ordinary, but for Utd, look much better than they actually are.

Hate his guts though - no class what so ever, and has no respect by most in the game - exactly what is needed to work for $ky.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Quite possibly the best RB in the league over the last 20 years, but its impossible to say - he was playing surrounded by World Class players.
    Dixon - not a chance - it was the unity of the Arsenal back four that was the strength.

Look at O Shea and Fletcher - stick them in the Stoke team and they would look ordinary, but for Utd, look much better than they actually are.

Hate his guts though - no class what so ever, and has no respect by most in the game - exactly what is needed to work for $ky.

Surely it is a similar argument for Dixon and Neville?

A defence is only as good as the weakest link, and the United defence could never really have been called weak over his time at the club.

defence is all about partnerships and understanding - to be a top defender, you need other top defenders. Look at the best CBs around, and over time, they will always have played with a partner that is highly rated.

Rio and Vidic a current example - both look better when alongside the other, though both are quality in their own right.
    Carvalho and Terry - Terry got the plaudits but Terry hasn't looked the same since he left, Gallas would deserve a mention in that regard too.
    Bruce and Pallister - top combination, not as good apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MaceFace wrote: »

stick Fletcher in the Stoke team and he'd be as highly rated as Charlie Adam is now, stick O'Shea in the Stoke team and I guarantee he too would be moving up the ladder sooner rather than later.

Also, respect is needed to work for Sky? lolz

Liam O wrote: »
    stick Fletcher in the Stoke team and he'd be as highly rated as Charlie Adam is now, stick O'Shea in the Stoke team and I guarantee he too would be moving up the ladder sooner rather than later.

Also, respect is needed to work for Sky? lolz

as for respect in the game.... Gary Neville has truckloads of it. Fans hate him, but people who have worked with him seem to have a very different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Well at least he'll be able to a devote a lot more time to working on his mustache.

He's been going for this look for a while now hasn't he?

chef%20brand%20logo.gif

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

A very good right back that also wound up opposition fans.
    He will be remembered that's for sure and maybe thats why he will get a tv slot as nearly everyone knows him.

I havent seen many better RB's in my time but he is up there I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I expect to see him all over the BBC and/or Sky Sports for the next 20 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I have to say if he did work for Sky or whoever and Liverpool happen to do united I couldn't help but tune in to that one. Its up there with when England get knocked out of the tournament straight away BBC to get a look at Ian Wrights tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Think i'll have a few drinks to celebrate this, i hate the man, i don't care how good he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Surely it is a similar argument for Dixon and Neville?

A defence is only as good as the weakest link, and the United defence could never really have been called weak over his time at the club.

defence is all about partnerships and understanding - to be a top defender, you need other top defenders. Look at the best CBs around, and over time, they will always have played with a partner that is highly rated.

Rio and Vidic a current example - both look better when alongside the other, though both are quality in their own right.
    Carvalho and Terry - Terry got the plaudits but Terry hasn't looked the same since he left, Gallas would deserve a mention in that regard too.
    Bruce and Pallister - top combination, not as good apart.

neville was often exposed at international and CL level against top teams so your weakest link argument is indeed apt.....he looked good in a utd team that were head and shoulders above most of the PL while he was there-all he had to do was give beckham the ball and let him create from the right side. was kept at utd cause he was obviously loyal to alec and a good nfluence off the field but a great defender i don't think so

he wasn't even uniteds best right back over last 20 years.....ever hear of Dennis Irwin?

Advertisement