Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Retires from Football

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ntlbell wrote: »
    so i take it you won't give gerrard a bow out for his chidish antics?

right..:rolleyes:

I already criticised Gerard for those childish antics in a post a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Iago wrote: »
    I'd nearly give you Dixon, but Lauren and Sagna? You're either suffering an extreme case of bias or you're taking the piss!

Yeah I may be slightly biased but ability wise these right backs are as good or better than Gary Neville whi IMO is criminally overrated. Just because he has all the medals in the bag doesnt mean he was a great player. He had longevity in the league which would probably put him ahead of Lauren and Bacary Sagna. But in terms of ability on their day these RBs are better. What im trying to say was that during Gary Nevilles playing career, I would never have put Gary Neville in the Arsenal team ahead of these players.

Fair play to Gary Neville all the same for being a one club man and he did appear to wear his heart on his sleeve while playing for his club. He did seem to be a fan playing for his boyhood club. But I think people are seriously overrating his playing ability just because he lasted 19 years or so in the premier league. He doesnt even compare to how Giggs or Scholes were, they were far more important than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

he wasn't even uniteds best right back over last 20 years.....ever hear of Dennis Irwin?

Irwin was a left back. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,857 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Over 600 appearances for MU a true legend

He might take over as reserve team coach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

neville was often exposed at international and CL level against top teams so your weakest link argument is indeed apt.....he looked good in a utd team that were head and shoulders above most of the PL ?

He obviously did well to pull the wool over the eyes of five (widely differing) England managers. The idea that Ferguson would tolerate a weak link for over 10 years is bogus. Equally as bogus is the idea that such a successful team could carry a dead weight player for well over a decade.

I do agree that Irwin was a better full-back, but then he was one of the best full-backs to ever play in the EPL.

He's liked by most United fans for the reason he inspires dislike and incorrect opinion in rivals: he was a good player and a United man - not a badge-kissing charlatan like others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

stovelid wrote: »
    He obviously did well to pull the wool over the eyes of five (widely differing) England managers. The idea that Ferguson would tolerate a weak link for over 10 years is bogus. Equally as bogus is the idea that such a successful team could carry a dead weight player for well over a decade.

I do agree that Irwin was a better full-back, but then he was one of the best full-backs to ever play in the EPL.

He's liked by most United fans for the reason he inspires dislike and incorrect opinion in rivals: he was a good player and a United man - not a badge-kissing charlatan like others.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI7dUgY9ikYbSwscutvdGvmNrzmyhHUI2VToVvMdaJDtf_0qYkimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG5hAFyAoDbY9TlhDd0hOwbktHdvsbW0wylezUs7B-fa57_cDV

quite....

was a decent player but all of this gushing about him being the 'bestest ever' over the last few days is really OTT.......there were very few quality Emglish RB's over the late 90's in particular and he was OK against most teams, but not against the top quality opposition if you're honest and objective about it. I won't start about his atitude and demeanour on the field, just talking about his abilities as a footballer

"Irwin was a left back."
    origionally a RB if i remember correctly, and played both sides with man u

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

What a hateful little man he was. Hardly ventured outside his own half and was for me one of the most over rated players of his generation.

Ironic that his last match ended in ignominy as he was shown to be the slow, bundling, pathetically poor player he was. Remember the United fans calling for his head in the thread that day?

Yet today he's a great man and all and sundry out to lick his hole. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What a hateful little man he was. Hardly ventured outside his own half and was for me one of the most over rated players of his generation.

Ironic that his last match ended in ignominy as he was shown to be the slow, bundling, pathetically poor player he was. Remember the United fans calling for his head in the thread that day?

In all fairness, he has lost it in the last season or so, through injuries and old age, no United fan really wanted to see him playing this season because of that.

But he has been excellent for the club, most people realise that so that's why he's getting the praise on this thread and in the United thread.

The first sentance of your post is better suited to you, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

you dont like him, we get it, but thats no reason to out and out lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI7dUgY9ikYbSwscutvdGvmNrzmyhHUI2VToVvMdaJDtf_0qYkimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG5hAFyAoDbY9TlhDd0hOwbktHdvsbW0wylezUs7B-fa57_cDV

quite....

What do you intend to convey with that? He played his whole career at one club. Do you understand badge-kissing as a concept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When Neville is more widely disliked than players who've been guilty of drink-driving or hitting women then something is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

When Neville is more widely disliked than players who've been guilty of drink-driving or hitting women then something is wrong.

Good point. Have you seen his mustache though?

or humping grannies.

I think he is widely disliked as a footballer.

I doubt anyone here knows the fella personnally to actually dislike him.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Good point. Have you seen his mustache though?

lol

In fairness it is shocking alright.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    or humping grannies.

I think he is widely disliked as a footballer.

I doubt anyone here knows the fella personnally to actually dislike him.

Not going on some posts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Numerous England managers, fellow professionals (judging from tweets from the likes of Robbie Savage) and even Arsene Wenger ( http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6720059,00.html ) seem to disagree strongly with you. I wonder who has a better idea what they are talking about?

You also fail to understand that most athletes tend to deteriorate with age, which is quite embarassing. I can just imagine you watching Muhammud Ali getting handled by Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick at the end of his career and saying "glad to see that fella being shown to be the slow, bundling pathetically poor boxer he always was". Dear oh dear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The man himself sums it up -
    "Its fair to say I relied on qualities that weren't naturally technical or skilful to get to where I got."

So a hard worker and leader but not a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The man himself sums it up -

So a hard worker and leader but not a great player.

So you consider natural ability the defining criteria in judging a players greatness? In that case the likes of Denilson are better than the likes of Roy Keane?

*edit, referring to the stupidly skilful former Betis player and not the Arsenal player when I mention Denilson there*

Not going on some posts here.

It's the internet, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    So you consider natural ability the defining criteria in judging a players greatness? In that case the likes of Denilson are better than the likes of Roy Keane?

*edit, referring to the stupidly skilful former Betis player and not the Arsenal player when I mention Denilson there*

Nope I consider the whole package to make a player worthy of greatness. If some components are missing then they don't deserve the mantle.

Terms like 'great' and 'world class' are meaningless these days given the looseness fo their use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I love how people are damning him as a not great player, and how ludicrious the damnation is.

Yeah for the last two or three years he's been seriously off his game due to injuries, bad form and age of course, but for over a decade he was easily one of the best right backs in the Premier League. His crosses were fantastic from the right side and the runs he made opened up so much space on the park allowing Beckham etc to get a lot more room and himself advance into better positions to provide pinpoint crosses, and he was one of the true right backs who bombed forward but unlike players like say Glen Johnson he was actually able to get back with his somewhat strange sprinting style. Combine this with very good defensive ability and you have a truly great right back.

He was an everpresent for England and United for years and for people to imply that he somewhat fluked this and fooled both Ferguson (who was ruthless in the 90s when a players form dropped) and many England managers is just bafflingly stupid.

Whatever people say about the man himself, the player he was was unmatched at right back for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Great servant, average footballer.

What he lacked in natural talent and class, he made up for in dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He was an everpresent for England and United for years and for people to imply that he somewhat fluked this and fooled both Ferguson (who was ruthless in the 90s when a players form dropped) and many England managers is just bafflingly stupid.

To be fair, that says more about the lack of quality of English players in that position than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

England may have been handicapped by the lack of talent coming through but United could have replaced him anytime, and didn't. Simply because he did a great job.

To be fair, that says more about the lack of quality of English players in that position than anything else.

No it doesn't, it says he was a very good player. Fergie could have splashed out on any right back, english or otherwise, and didn't. Says more about nevilles abilty and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Hardly ventured outside his own half and was for me one of the most over rated players of his generation.
    If you think that he hardly got out of his own half then it's understandable why you would say that he's overrated. However you are completely wrong in that belief. It's shocking how wrong you are.
    Can you seriously not tell the difference between age and quality?

I wouldn't be calling him a great player (Maldini, Irwin were greats), but he was one of the best full backs in the PL for years. A good defender, got forward a huge amount, always linked up well with his wingers and was completely committed to the cause. He also had a good long period at the top which very much stands to his credit.

Also, as the length of this thread shows, he was a massive troll. That's another huge plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

His ventures going forward mainly consisted of:

1. 1 touch
    2. cross

Every single time.

Although he actually had a half decent delivery.

Lukker- wrote: »

1. 1 touch
    2. cross

Every single time.

That's all he needed, and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think a lot of us are guilty of disliking people more than criminals because of what twats they are. It's hardly a phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lukker- wrote: »

1. 1 touch
    2. cross

Every single time.

That's more or less true. He'd also do one twos with the winger on occasion, but not an awful lot else 90% of the time. Not much else is needed of a fullback going forward.

It was his positioning and reliability that made him so good going forward. He was always there to play a one two with the winger or put in one of his half decent deliveries himself. And he always had enough in the tank to get back and do his defensive work too. The defensive work which he was quite talented at. His side of the pitch was always sorted. There were good crosses coming in and the opposition weren't given time or space when they had the ball.

Back years ago I used to not rate him that much either. But eventually I learned to appreciate the less obvious aspects of football, like movement, positioning and consistency. The aspects that are so important in a fullback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Best right back England have had in the past 20 years and one of the best in the league in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

The extent of the bitterness in this thread is amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Fair play to Jamie Carragher, didn't let the rivalry get in the way of his respect for Neville.

Carragher on Neville - “For me he’s the best full-back the Premier League’s had. And also just behind David Beckham probably one of the best crossers of the ball we’ve seen.

For me he’s the best full-back the Premier League’s had

“People always talk about the rivalry between Liverpool and Man United and of course it exists. We want to beat them and they want to beat us but I have great respect for Man United as a club and I hope that’s vice versa.

“Were two of the most successful teams, two of the biggest teams in the world, and for me Gary Neville’s been one of the main reasons why that’s happened.

“A great player, great pro and to play at that level for so long is a fantastic achievement so I take my hat off to him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MaceFace wrote: »

Hate his guts though - no class what so ever, and has no respect by most in the game - exactly what is needed to work for $ky.

Really this post is just utter horsesiht,Carragher's statement just shows this up to be utter bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Could never understand why so many people thought he was useless.

Easily one of the best right backs to play in England in the last fifteen years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

never saw a man live of his reputation for the last 2 or 3 seasons he should of retired years ago. in his prime he was amazing but he slowly turned into a panto act and a sad sight

Could never understand why so many people thought he was useless.

It's because a lot of people are not able to see the difference between someone who is hate inducing and someone who has a lack of talent and suddenly dislking a player means they're rubbish..... flawed logic basically :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ricero wrote: »
    never saw a man live of his reputation for the last 2 or 3 seasons he should of retired years ago. in his prime he was amazing but he slowly turned into a panto act and a sad sight

injuries took there toll alright.

His biggest struggle was getting his match fitness back - when he came in for the odd game he was very poor - as we have seen this season. However, I would say that when he got himself a run in the team and got his legs back he proved himself to be a good squad player - not back to his best or first choice, but a very able back up. The game vs Milan last season would be evidence of that, played a blinder for us - i remember there being other games bit i can't remember them off the top of my head - it was around the time of the Milan/Bayern games.

This season Raf has become the first choice, so his games have been even more limited than they were last season, so he has had no chance to build his match fitness and sharpness up, and that is why his performances were as bad as they were.

Advertisement