Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A side dish...

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

To serve with fajitas, has anyone any suggestions? Having some friends round at the weekend, and want to offer something slightly more sustansial than fajitas on their own..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

If your looking for something more substantial try wedges (covered in olive oil and smoked paprika) spicy rice or refried beans.

If you want something easier just buy some tortilla chips and serve with sour cream and guacamole dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Maybe some Mexican rice?!

It's easy to find some good recipes online.
    Pretty easy to make too :)

This one looks pretty straight forward:

Serves 4
    Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    * 1 teaspoon garlic salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/4 cup chopped onion
    * 1/2 cup tomato sauce
    * 2 cups chicken broth

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
    2. Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Saw Jamie Oliver do this last night.

Get a jar of red peppers, cut them in half and fill each half with a thickish slice of cheese - the meltier the cheese the better.

Then fry until the cheese has melted and serve.

I'd say it would go great with Fajitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Wow, lots of good ideas, thanks guys! Might try the wedges, we're all trying to do the healthy thing at the minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Guacamole or Mexican rice (as mentioned)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I cheat making Guacamole.

I buy an avocado ( nice ripe one ) , mash it up with some lime juice ( to keep the colour as well as ad flavour )

Splash of tobasco , then a good helping of ready made salsa from a jar.

Works a treat

Frajitas are great because you can have anything like sour cream ( I use low fat Creme Fraiche ) , sliced black olives , chillies anything to put in them !

Enjoy

I also go to the butcher , if he has fillet steak on display , ask for the scrappy bits on the end of the fillet , he will usually sell this at a low price , and ask him to cut it into thin strips.

Advertisement