Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy the Fingal Independent?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

With the recent demise of the Sunday Tribune due to Independent News and Media finally pulling the plug due to a decline in sales and INM already closing one of its regional titles the group appears to be carrying out a review of its Irish titles. Among it regional titles is our local Fingal Independent which seems to be in a steady decline

Fingal Independent Sales
    Jan-Jun 08 5,432
    Jan-Jun 09 4,776
    Jan-Jun 10 3,839

Decline of -1,593 since Jan-Jun 08

I haven't bought it for ages myself and don't subcribe online either. When I did get the chance to read it the paper appears to be filled by 5-6 pages of syndicated columnists like Ivan Yeates that you can find in INM other regional titles and local politician photo ops.

Do you buy or subcribe(online) to the Fingal Independent?

Do you buy the Fingal Independent? 16 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    ChinafootA.PartridgeThe Hill Billycathy01BlairDizzyblondeJimdagymLamper.sffcchughesRobFowlsNarahNodsterSparky84BeastysashasdadLady_North1 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No
    I buy it regularly catch up on news back home. I'd be interested in knowing how many subscribe online. Can't see the point myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I stopped buying it and would only get it an odd time now. They appear to take the safe ground on to many topics instead of sticking in the boot when its needed.

That said they give decent coverage to local events and publish plenty of photos. They could do with some sort of hard hitting wekly article on F.C.C, education, policing or housing. People might then take it more seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No
    With the amount of advertising that FCC put their way I can't imagine that they'd want to upset a major source of revenue by running too many hard-hitting articles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I buy it occasionally. I always mean to buy it more - if it were online for free, I'd read it every week.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

No
    Buy it evry week and look forward to it. Never had a publication like that where I grew up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

LeoB wrote: »
    I stopped buying it and would only get it an odd time now. They appear to take the safe ground on to many topics instead of sticking in the boot when its needed.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    With the amount of advertising that FCC put their way I can't imagine that they'd want to upset a major source of revenue by running too many hard-hitting articles.

Having worked for a few local papers in various places (although not the Fingal Independent I should add) I can assure you that quality of news and accuracy of story takes a distant second, third or fourth place to not pissing off certain factions/personalities.organisations within the local community. Understandable because small papers need the goodwill and advertising money etc...

However, having worked on both, locals are probably far more 'bent' than nationals when it comes to leaving out or glossing over or omitting very relevant information to suit those who hold sway over them. The smaller community type paper set up actually magnifies these issues rather than diluting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I would by it if it wasnt just the swords indo and if they checked to make sure the stories they print is true first instead of printing just anything that comes in. Only one place sells it in d15 so it should be the Fingal indo and not just the swords area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No
    I buy it every week and have done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've never bought it. I've bought 5 articles online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I used to buy it till a couple of years ago, its not a great read anymore, I have the odd look if im in my mums for dinner but other than that I wouldnt be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

No
    I buy it every week and have done for years.

Same here - honest balanced coverage of local issues and Jack Corry's weekly motorcycle column keeps me on top of the local biking gossip - long may it last ;)

In general, circulation on all titles - both national and local newspapers have declined. Give me hard copy over online anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Bought it when they offered it for a euro and sold it at the local train station.
    Enjoyed it and reckon that promotion could work out well for 'em in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Buy it about once a month. Keep meaning to buy it every week but it ends up being about once a month. Hope it doesn't fail. I love the idea of a local paper but I suppose websites like Balbriggan.info and balbriggan.net (and Boards.ie:):)) are beginning to take over a bit in telling people about local events/issues.

I am really disappointed about the Sunday tribune - I hope it survives but it doesn't look too likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

buy it when the kids are in it for sports..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I used to buy it all the time but it became a victim of my own personal cost cutting so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Used to buy it every week ,but now buy it only once or twice a month. The photo section of events around the county is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

No
    every single week without exeption. We're nozy :)

And would quite often also get the Drogheda Indo!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Used to get it for planning notices, but you can get those on the fcc website.
    I am in and out of the shops so I read it gradually during the week, for free. I would buy it if it resembled a newspaper and took a firmer editorial line on local issues.

Don't like the tabloid format because its no good for wrapping stuff.

Advertisement