Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a tv in the North

• 02-02-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

what should I worry about as regards specs if I buy a tv in the North and use it down South?
    Or is it just as simple as what works there will work here?
    (I think it is the case that there could be a problem with Freeview and also Rte is going digital fairly soon)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,281 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you intend using it with Sky or UPC there is no issue, there's only problems where you want to use it with an aerial it must be compatible with the new system down here. If you do buy one that isn't you still have the option of buying a €100 box which you can connect and it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Yes,

Freeview is not compatible with Saorview.

Freeview = MPEG2
    Saorview = MPEG4

But otherwise all inputs should not matter.

Some TVs e.g. Samsung , have both MPEG2 and MPEG4 tuners, so will work with both BBC Freeview and RTE Saorview.

As @Atlantic Dawn says -- If you are just going to use Sky/UPC then you will have no difference - except of course your warranty may be UK only - just check that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

deepspeed is spot on. However, Freeview HD is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

why would you buy a TV in the north if you live in the south? - The prices aren't any different and if something went wrong, you need to trek up north again.

Current consumer exchange rate is €1.22 / £1 (ulster bank) - so a £999 tv is costing you €1,221 in euro + cost of driving up & back.

Othe roption is to buy in richer sounds - they'll honor the philips warranty in Dublin & deliver from NI, but with vat difference just 1% I don't think there's even a difference between their NI & ROI prices anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Technical issues regarding digital TV received via aerial in the south have been discussed to death in the terrestrial TV forum here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Otherwise as other posters have pointed out, if you're going to attach the TV to Sky or UPC cable then any TV bought in the north will work 100% down here, the Saorview/Freeview issue only arises if you want to use an aerial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement