Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second undergraduate degree?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I'll be finished up my B.A. in History & Politics in UCD in May.

I was planning to take a year out to work/save up and then apply for an M.A. in the U.K.

While doing online research, I came across a really interesting looking B.A. course.

- It got me thinking. With job prospects so low at the moment in History/Research/Archivism, would it make sense to study for another B.A. and fully ride out the recession?

- Are there any major disadvantages, besides cost, of going for a second undergraduate degree?

- Would it look out of place or unusual on your CV?

To be honest, I'd love to go through the college experience again somewhere abroad. (Living/working in Dublin while studying in UCD has really limited by college 'experience' IMHO).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

If you are happy to ship the cost and to spend the time a second BA is no harm. No reason why it should be out of place on a CV either. (Obviously it's difficult to talk about a BA in the abstract as the subjects will be more important to the CV than the name of the qualification). It might be unusual but what matter.

Only thing you need to be aware of is that if you feel the degree you have already done is not great for you employment-wise then is your second one going to be more utilitarian? It would be a terrible waste if you spent time and money merely to end up in the same boat x 2.

Doing it for 'the college experience' would be a profoundly bad idea. Better off to hang around college as a post-graduate for four or five years if you are going to do that I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Artistic_Love

Education is never wasted, and let's face it - right now college is the safest place to be. I don't know why more education would look strange on your CV! If you can afford it, and won't end up in years of debt, I don't see what could be a problem! I agree with Rosita though...what defines a "college experience"? Is it alone worth the cost of another degree? Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Education is never wasted, and let's face it - right now college is the safest place to be. I don't know why more education would look strange on your CV! If you can afford it, and won't end up in years of debt, I don't see what could be a problem! I agree with Rosita though...what defines a "college experience"? Is it alone worth the cost of another degree? Best of luck!

Not many would do 2 undergrads back to back and some firms might wonder why there was no progression and/or work experience.

OP, you need to be able to say why you thought you needed to do it and why it was better than a postgrad. Also, are you thinking of doing a postgrad afterwards? That would add at least one more year to your education as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

There must be better/cheaper/more enjoyable ways of hiding out the recession, while staying in college.

Why not just go for a masters here or abroad?

Advertisement