Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left VTOS Course and told by admin I'll have to make a brand new welfare claim!!!

• 02-02-2011 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I just left a VTOS (adult education) course due to severe stress and depression.
    I just could not face people anymore, can not act like all is ok plus I was not actually able for the mathematical subjects, I am completely thick with figures (which I had no idea I would be doing before I started it).

I was told by the course admin person that I would have to sign back on from scratch again, yet when I started, my Jobseekers Allowance was automatically transferred over to VTOS immediately.
    But because I left I could be now facing up to three months (guessing - have heard the stories about new claims) without any money???
    I can't ask family for a loan - they are more than half the cause of my problems.
    :eek:
    Oh my God...I have rent to pay...

I am attending my GP at the moment for treatment and awaiting counselling due to the problems I'm having, won't get in to it now.
    I haven't been to Social Welfare offices yet - I'm half afraid of the response I'll get...

I didn't think to ask what would be the situation if I had stayed on for the rest of the course - I mean surely the people still on it won't be 'cut off' so abruptly when they finish up in June will they???
    What would they be doing it for if they were going to become penniless afterwards for a few months?
    They (and myself) voluntarily went on it to train FOR employment, why or how could anyone be put in such a situation if they found themselves having to leave a course? It isn't exactly a JOB with wages that was left.

Do the 'leavers' get punished for leaving? It seems so!

Has anyone ever been on a course (VTOS or other), left and found it hard to sign back on and how long did it take?
    And, how long on average does a new claim take for say a person signing on for the FIRST TIME?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

If you have left the course because of depression and stress then you need to make a claim for illness benefit/allowance and not for jobseekers as you are not fit to work at the minute. If there is a delay in payment from the social welfare office then go straight to your local community welfare officer who will pay you until your illness payment is sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The waiting list for a Vtos course is quite long, people would love to be on one. Did you do it just for the sake of it? Why did you not research the course before applying?

No offense, but why would you be treated any differently? It's a good thing that you have to make a new application. Your place could have went to somebody who appretiated it.

So you're depressed, that's fine, depression is tough, but it's not an excuse to wallow in self pity...

Personally, I wouldn't like to see anybody get back on social welfare easily after giving up a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Hi

I am a VTOS co-ordinator and anyone that leaves the course must go to social welfare once they have received their last payment date on VTOS.

As far as I know their claims are processed straight away as they are not seen as new claimants.

You could postpone your studies and return the following year when you are feeling better( at least that is my centers policy)

Hope you are feeling better soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 many problems lately

The waiting list for a Vtos course is quite long, people would love to be on one. Did you do it just for the sake of it? Why did you not research the course before applying?

No offense, but why would you be treated any differently? It's a good thing that you have to make a new application. Your place could have went to somebody who appretiated it.

So you're depressed, that's fine, depression is tough, but it's not an excuse to wallow in self pity...

Personally, I wouldn't like to see anybody get back on social welfare easily after giving up a course.

Yes i did it just for the hell of it really - I'll agree with everything you say because you are a very disagreeable person who came on here just to cut me down and to contribute nothing of help whatsoever.

My place could have gone to "somebody who appreciated it?" - tell that to the Polish girl who told me she wouldn't get dole AT ALL if she didn't do the course! Her payment lasted for 6 months, as with all unemployed new EU member state nationals, then when it ended she signed up for the course "for the money"!

It's a little bit hard to 'research' a course during the summer when all school staff are actually on their holidays and there is nobody there to actually speak to, bar a receptionist who can do no more than hand you out a 'page' as their 'brochure', which listed 'typing, work experience, ECDL administration and communications' as the subjects covered. No mention of book keeping, accounting and payroll there...

Think you've just cured my 'self pity' and turned it to anger.
    What a perfect person you are.

Ryan T wrote: »
    Hi

I am a VTOS co-ordinator and anyone that leaves the course must go to social welfare once they have received their last payment date on VTOS.

As far as I know their claims are processed straight away as they are not seen as new claimants.

You could postpone your studies and return the following year when you are feeling better( at least that is my centers policy)

Hope you are feeling better soon

Thank you.

That would be great if I could do that, although I have severe difficulty with figures - I got NG in my Leaving Cert maths (No Grade) I am that bad...

I just basically wanted to be a secretary - typing, taking calls, dealing with people ect, I found the mathematical side of it extremely difficult and three days a week were spent doing those particular subjects.
    I asked to 'drop out' of them but the teachers (who were lovely) told me that I WOULD be able for it, that I WOULD do well and pass ect,
    but I know different...

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Trish2007 wrote: »
    If you have left the course because of depression and stress then you need to make a claim for illness benefit/allowance and not for jobseekers as you are not fit to work at the minute. If there is a delay in payment from the social welfare office then go straight to your local community welfare officer who will pay you until your illness payment is sorted.

Illness allowance? I always assumed that was for people with physical disabilities/injuries/conditions? Really? But can they or anybody say how long you are expected to be down with depression? Can a Doctor even make a prognosis about that? If I were to or HAD TO apply for that as a method of payment, just supposing I was to find a job - would the new employer know my last payment source was 'illness benefit' do you think?

Thanks

Jealous much??? Typical of the Irish. Don't like to see other people benifit from anything.

h.y.p.o.c.r.i.t.e???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Wow i'm amazed at your comment,Hope you don't ever get depression who says OP did not have depression when he took on the course?Would you prefer him to continue on depressed which could lead to a lot lot worse...Or pull out and get himself sorted out.OP's well being os alot more important than some course!!

@OP contact your socail welfare office get a letter from your doctor to confirm he is treating you for depression and you will be entitled to payment of illness/disabailty

Although there is a waiting period of about 6 weeks,but your community welfare officer will pay you until then

Head up OP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Please be tactful and considerate when replying to posts on this forum. People may be in considerable difficult circumstances. OP if you have an issue with a post, report it, do not drag your thread off topic by replying in kind.

As for your query, you need to make a repeat claim. When your classmates are finished, they will also need to make a repeat claim. A lot of offices are working on an appointment system now so waiting times are greatly reduced for some people. If you are waiting to be paid, you can go to your community welfare officer to help you out in the interim. However, you may be checked to see if you are looking for and fit for work as this is part of the conditions of signing for Jobseekers payment.

Advertisement