Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of date Keg

Options
  • 02-02-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've just been offered an out of date keg of guinness for this weekend,
    while it would be nice to have a free weekend of guinness I am slightly
    worried about the consequences!

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of this? :confused:

It's about 6 months past it's use/sell by date, don't want to ruin my
    Sunday watching sport for the sake of a few free pints either!
    cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It mightn't taste the best (although it will probably be fine) but it will not make you sick any more so than any other beer.

Go ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They are sterilised filtered and flashed pasteurised its grand, they only consequences is that you will be taking money out of Diageo massive pocket if you can live with that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

horse it down! best before dates are mainly lies.

beer is unique in having an inability to produce adverse consequences no matter the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Dont forget its best before not use by!!

Plenty of Jacks roll and youll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I had a few out of date kegs. All four expired around january last year.

First couple were grand, but by the time the third and fourth ones got opened in July, they had definitely begun to turn. Kinda sour, almost cidery.
    That may have been partly due to the fact they were sitting out in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I read before that kegs are usually less treated than say cans, I think they did a bacterial count or something, it would be like how normal milk will go off eventually but UHT will last a lot longer at room temps. They probably expect kegs to be used quicker and so can treat them less, treating will cost more money and usually effect the taste, like UHT milk.

Dunno if this is true of guinness though.

I'd drink it no problem, not like it will be toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭dmc17

Plenty of Jacks roll and youll be fine :D

I must agree. What you save on the few pints you'll probably spend on jacks roll over the next week :eek:

Advertisement