Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a1 in economics!

• 02-02-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I really need an a1 in economics but I can never seem to get past a b2! Is there any particular areas that need to be watched out for or can anyone here who got an a1 tell me how they did it?I have no problem learning the material and I know my definitions and everything but still no a1!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Know International Trade, Supply and Demand and National Income really well. They come up every year.
    Also pay some attention to Economic Development and growth. They haven't come up since 2006 I think so they're likely to come up this year.

You don't need to write loads for economics, just that you have your definitions exact.
    Do not just revise answers from the marking schemes as that isn't enough really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Government and Market structures are a huge part, potentially 3/4 essays + short questions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

magicianz wrote: »
    Government and Market structures are a huge part, potentially 3/4 essays + short questions :o

Essays?? Either I just f***ed up myocks today or that was a bad choice of words. We don't do essays we just regurgitate bullet points and diagrams

There's no essays..?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Anita Blow wrote: »
    There's no essays..?

Ok now I'm confused. How can ye think there are essays?? We've never done an essay and we've finished the course and I did the mock paper today.. And our teacher is really good. Where did ye think you would write essays?? And btw economic development came up in 2010 and comes up quite often as well...

• Advertisement

ruadhan wrote: »
    Ok now I'm confused. How can ye think there are essays?? We've never done an essay and we've finished the course and I did the mock paper today.. And our teacher is really good. Where did ye think you would write essays?? And btw economic development came up in 2010 and comes up quite often as well...

I didn't say there was essays. I was agreeing with you! There's no essays to be done for Economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Essays? Certainly not. Points, each accompanied by a thorough and excellent explanation, are required evenly spaced out. For A1 students, cherry picking topics to focus on is a recipe for a B grade. The course is short so there is no excuse for a top student not being to A1 standard in every area of it. Practicing exam questions and thoroughly marking them are the difference between a student who knows his economics but is sloppy/inexperienced about showing it and the A1 student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Ugh my teacher Just calls them essays, it's questions or whatever like no need to blow a gasket >.> Yes everyone knows you should learn the whole course, but there are sections that come up a lot that deserve some more attention.

You should be looking at marking schemes as well as doing questions, there are keywords and phrases that the examiner is looking for that will get you the points. Economics is all about giving precise answers, if you waffle you're just wasting time and getting no points for it. Things like how many points to give and how much detail is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm doing Economics myself and am in 5th year, took it up after Christmas and have 1/4 of the course done. I have done 3 micro and 2 macro chapters. Would it be ok if I focused more on the Macro side of the paper?. I like it much better and have done Economic Growth and Development and Population.. Is there any chapters in particular I should be looking at?

So far i've done 1. Introduction to Economics 2. The Consumer and Utility 3. Supply and Demand and the 2 macro..

Also what would be the story with a mock paper this time next year.. Would I order it through the school or what?.

Advertisement