Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about expiration of 35mm film...How old is too old?

• 02-02-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi photographers,
    Hope this is posted in the right forum ... don't think it's anything to do with Photoshop so I quess it ain't Digital Darkroom...
    Anyway heading away tomorrow, my old canon (digital) go nicked so I'm bringing my 35mm old trusty miu II. I have film for it, but its expired since 2003. What effect will this have on the pictures? Is it worth using at all?
    I miss my old digital camera and its god damn handiness :-)!
    Appreciate all opinions.
    All the best,
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

It depends on storage- if it was stored somewhere cool, in the tub(s) preferably in the boxes, it MAY be ok, otherwise unlikely- also is it amateur or pro film- amateur has a longer shelf life...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've supplied friends with film that expired in 1977 and it worked fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I've supplied friends with film that expired in 1977 and it worked fine :)

...and I intend shooting on it on Saturday. Print will be forthcoming as soon as I get it developed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Well it won't do any harm to the camera and might be in perfect condition, if not, just shoot the roll and you might get some funky results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There'll be most likely colour cast a sensitivity will be a bit down, so the lab will push the prints a bit that will reveal some grain.
    For good pictures, get new roll. But if you don't mind a bit processed look of the pictures, keep on shooting.
    By the way, the 1977 film is lovely and scans from that will follow soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Shoot it there is nothing super bad that will happen.
    I have shot stuff that expired in 1972 and as soon as I can I will be shooting some of that sweet film that expired in 1977.

Advertisement