Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age for a .22lr

Options
  • 02-02-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As I said in the other thread the brother in law has bought a .22lr. He's got most of his application filled in, but then his older brother said that he would have bother getting a .22lr because he's only 18?

He's also wondering what you put in the 'proof of competency' section and whether he has to join a gun-club?

Sorry for all the questions, I've filled out dozens of forms in the north for family and neighbours but I'm not sure of the southern system and don't want to give bad advice...

As an aside, he's been shooting with his dad, brother and me for years...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Glensman wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As I said in the other thread the brother in law has bought a .22lr. He's got most of his application filled in, but then his older brother said that he would have bother getting a .22lr because he's only 18?

He's also wondering what you put in the 'proof of competency' section and whether he has to join a gun-club?

Sorry for all the questions, I've filled out dozens of forms in the north for family and neighbours but I'm not sure of the southern system and don't want to give bad advice...

As an aside, he's been shooting with his dad, brother and me for years...

He should get it no bother, the proof of competency is usually a safety course, a few rfd run courses aswell as the nargc.. he doesnt need to join a gun club but he will need permission to hunt from 2 farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

jap gt wrote: »
    He should get it no bother, the proof of competency is usually a safety course, a few rfd run courses aswell as the nargc.. he doesnt need to join a gun club but he will need permission to hunt from 2 farmers.

He has the 2 farmers no problem. His dad's a farmer, so that's one...

So does he just leave the competency section blank altogether or should he write in that he has experience of similar firearms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

He has the 2 farmers no problem. His dad's a farmer, so that's one...

So does he just leave the competency section blank altogether or should he write in that he has experience of similar firearms?

i sent a copy of the safety cert, and didnt write anything else regarding competency, but i know a few lads that did write about the experience they had, it might be best to write a little bit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The usual minimum standard is (as outlined above) either a safety course run by some ranges or the NARGC one or previous experience. Once you have the cert simply provide a copy with the FCA1 and in the competency section simply write "See attached safety cerificate".

There have been a few cases where explaining the amount of shooting/time spent with others shooters on the FCA1 in the competency section where it has been accepted, however i think more and more Gardai are now only accepting the cert, as this gives them the "peace of mind".

If it is his first license EVER, shotgun included, then i would say a course will be necessary. If he has previous experience/license with a shotgun then stick that down as it shows experience with a firearm and may suffice. Unfortunately the decision ultimately rests with the FO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks for the responses lads. This is his first ever firearm of his own. As said he has plenty of experience using his brother's 3 guns and my 4.

But from what I'm hearing he needs to do this certificate? He lives in the Roscommon area- where would people recommend he go to do this cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Some good advice there from the lads, but:
    As said he has plenty of experience using his brother's 3 guns and my 4.

I would suggest he leaves this bit of information out of his application form.;)

Can't see why he'd have difficulty getting a licence for a .22lr if he's 18? Surely that's the smallest calibre rimfire he can get, so if anything, it's probably the best rifle for a young lad to start with. The advice he has been given, confuses me - If not a .22 what else? An air rifle?

If he's a member of a range, they should be able to sort him out, but from what you;re saying, i understand that he isn't a member anywhere.

AFAIK the nearest rifle range to Roscommon is Lough Bo in Sligo if he's at the north end of Roscommon, and if he's at the south end of Roscommon, he's not too far from Midlands MNSCI who definitely run the SafeShot safety course. Don't have the Lough Bo contact details to hand, but MNSCI have info on the course and can be contacted here: http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/safety.html#ifacountryside

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is the MNSCI. They run courses at leat once a month. Ring for details.

The NARGC. There are two upcoming courses.

UPCOMING SAFETY PROFICIENCY COURSES

OUR PROFICIENCY COURSES FOR 2011 ARE LISTED BELOW. OTHERS WILL BE ADDED WHEN BOOKED WITH US......

Feb 19th 2011 - The Hostel, Newgrange, Co. Meath @ 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Walter on 087.9442602

May 7th 2011 - The Ballina Hotel, Ballina, Co. Mayo @ 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Chris on 086.3268933

IF YOU HAVE ANY URGENT NEED TO OBTAIN FIREARM SAFETY CERTIFICATION, PLEASE CONTACT US ON 1800 222 444 AND WE WILL BE ABLE TO ARRANGE ONE-TO-ONE TUITION FOR YOU.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ok lads, I think I know everything I need- good thing I asked because I would have made a balls.
    Up home they dont like giving a cert unless you've used plenty of guns before!

I'm going to ring that crowd in Tullamore tomorrow and get it booked, sure it can do no harm to have the cert. Ballina would have been good too, but he wont want to wait until May.

Thanks again, Boards has to be the best place on the net for people who actually know what they're on about! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

i dont see where the 18 would come into it since 16 is the law.
    the cousin applied for his shotgun and .22mag as soon as he turned 16 and had no bother getting them

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

dCorbus wrote: »
    Can't see why he'd have difficulty getting a licence for a .22lr if he's 18? Surely that's the smallest calibre rimfire he can get,
    Boards has to be the best place on the net for people who actually know what they're on about! :D

Apart from dCorbus, obviously, who's never heard of the .17 HMR :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Apart from dCorbus, obviously, who's never heard of the .17 HMR :P

.17 hmr is more superior to the .22lr with a longer range and more muzzle velocity:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

17 hmr is more superior but i think they do regard it as a smaller rifle as (correct me if im wrong) but the caliber is the size of the head of the round i think dont ate me if im wrong.

also im not sure i think some one said this to me before that it cant be your own lad as a signiture for hunting. because a guard told me before that i can get some sort of restricted license just for own land
    but he said in the same breath that if i wanted to hunt it couldnt be own land. but could be extended family once its seperate pieces of lad

if any one has heard this say so cause i might need to be corrected As its been a while since i done my license

garv123 wrote: »
    i dont see where the 18 would come into it since 16 is the law.
    the cousin applied for his shotgun and .22mag as soon as he turned 16 and had no bother getting them

Well if it keeps the Guards sweet he says he'll just do the course. I'm sure he'll learn from it anyway and it'll stand to him down the line if he wants to go for a larger calibre for fox shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

Im 18 and i have two shotguns and a 223. i started out with a 17hmr when i was 17 and i have never had any difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Got my first license just over a year ago my proof of competency was filled in by an experienced shooter. Just stated that I went shooting with him and am able to handle a firearm responsibly.

Advertisement