Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 2nd hand server any good as home pc?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I see there's a lot of cheap 2nd hand servers for sale, would one of these be any good as a fast home pc? What would the pros and cons be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Wantitnow wrote: »
    I see there's a lot of cheap 2nd hand servers for sale, would one of these be any good as a fast home pc? What would the pros and cons be?

It really depends on what hardware is in it. Can you post a few links to examples of these servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Wantitnow

Here
    Would they might be noisy or use a lot of power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That's a 7+ year old server, it'd be shockingly slow when compared to anything around today (those are pentium III processors according to a quick google!).
    You'll still have to get a (scsi or ide) hard drive for it, which will be a pain in the arse, plus I'd say the graphics card on it is lacking to say the least!

I'd say a definite no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Pointless buying them. €20 is a decent price for it, as far as I'm concerned, but you will not get better performance from that as from even a low-end modern-day laptop.

Advertisement