Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE PLEASE let us have clear skies...

Options
  • 02-02-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.donegalskies.com/in-the-skies

can't copy the text (stupid flash) but northern lights should be visible in the sky between tonight the 2nd and the 4th...

Come on weather hold off on on the snow for tonight!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

saw them a few years back, really amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Do you think you could see it from Galway, whats the time window for seeing it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

It's feicin stormy outside so probably won't see a thing...hopefully tomorrow or the 4th will have clear skies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Supposed to be even worse tomorrow, theres clear skies in between the showers but I doubt you'd be able to see anything all the same. Dont think I have any chance anyway with the sky constantly orange from all the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Harps wrote: »
    Supposed to be even worse tomorrow, theres clear skies in between the showers but I doubt you'd be able to see anything all the same. Dont think I have any chance anyway with the sky constantly orange from all the lights
    I saw them in Letterkenny twice a few years back. Amazing show. Got some photos of it at the time on film. I'll try and dig them out somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

saw them in Letterkenny back in 1991, and in Donegal Town in 1997, both totally by chance. Didn't know they were happening and it was back in the days before mobile phones. Amazing site

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Will you be able to see this in Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

yep, apparently so... check here, 2nd from bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Donegal Skies

I am sure if you get clear skies for long enough and the display is strong enough you will see them in the all over Ireland if there is not too much light pollution were you live. Cork is around one degree further south so that shouldn't make too much difference. Should you notice a gap in the clouds, scan the west, north and north east horizons for faint, white inconspicuous domes of light. White beams of light may shoot from these domes to the centre of the sky. Should the display really pick up it may be possible to see hints of colours in the aurora. So look out for subtle faint changes of light on the W, N and NE Horizon to start and then hopefully that will build up to a fine display and not to expect to expect too much at the beginning.

Here is picture that was taken from Ballysloe, Co. Tipperary by Michael O'Connell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93488852@N00/100146433/in/faves-48625409@N02/

As far as I know from the solar storm watch they expect the charged particles from the sun to reach Earth in the early hours of Friday morning. This would be an ideal time to see them but keep an eye out for them any time it's clear in the next few days. Also if you are on Twitter you can follow Aurora_Alert and it will tell you when big solar winds and Coronal Mass Ejections (CME) arrive at Earth that could cause auroras at our latitudes.

Clear Skies,

Brendan
    www.DonegalSkies.com

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

i really wanted to show this to my son, but the weather says no

• Advertisement

There is increased geomagnetic activity at the moment, nothing major but if there's a break in the skies there might be a glimpse a bit of an aurora tonight. Midnight the best time so keep scanning the skies for the elusive break in the clouds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

So we just look north??? Horizon or just sky north?

If it's a weak aurora it will be lower in the sky nearer the horizon. If it's stronger it will appear more overhead. But in general look towards the north. In reality that means anywhere between northworth to northeast.
    Aurora can be so faint that they'll only be picked up on a long camera exposure.

Advertisement