Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

council housing after divorce

• 02-02-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Just wonderin does anyone know if you are on welfare payment and currently in a council house, will the council allow you back on the list if you move out of the house and leave your exwife and kids in it? or would this be classed as giving up your house therefore the council have no legal obligation to rehouse you??? also would you be entitled to rent allowance?

any help appreciated thanks (also posted on accomodation and property)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

danois wrote: »
    Just wonderin does anyone know if you are on welfare payment and currently in a council house, will the council allow you back on the list if you move out of the house and leave your exwife and kids in it? or would this be classed as giving up your house therefore the council have no legal obligation to rehouse you??? also would you be entitled to rent allowance?

any help appreciated thanks (also posted on accomodation and property)

Your housing need was obviously assessed on the basis that you had a wife and kids.

I'd try to get something concrete from the council before agreeing to move out (at least get confirmation that you are on their housing list). Otherwise you might end up no better off than any other single man living on benefits -possibly not even eligible for rent allowance on a room until you've paid rent for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

thanks for that sorry should of said its not for me its for my bro in law hoping he can get something that way he will move out and leave sis to it a lot easier (i hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I know that my Brother was not even allowed to put his name down for a council house because he is a single man (aged 32) He is working, but on a very low income...... Actually, I'm not sure if the reason they turned him down was because he was single or because he was working (I will ask him for you OP)

I do know that you would be waiting a hell of a long time for a council house if you are on your own!

Advertisement