Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The brain

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

if your brain uses 20% of your bodies energy, can you burn calories just by thinking? Or is that as stupid as it sounds?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

While i tend to be pretty knackered coming out of exams, i dont know if thats an energy drain on the brain. Certainly wouldnt be enough of a calorie burner to rival the weight watchers or anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

That's probably 20% when you're sitting on your ass. During exercise probably much much lower than that. I doubt you can "up" this calorie spend anyway, and it's already included in your resting energy expenditure.

Advertisement