Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card for whv

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

i plan on getting a credit card for when i go to australia, just wondering if anyone could recommend which would be the best one to get, thanks in advance for replys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

To be honest my advice would be not to get a credit card at all . As they make it to easy to spend money you don't have .

But if you want one just incase make sure that you put a low limit on it like 1000.

That way you won't come home owing loads of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I had only planned on getting one incase of an unexpected reason to fly home when i got there, not for crazy drinkin or spending binges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I would actually recommend a credit card, for the exact reasons you gave - great piece of mind

what credit card company ? maybe don't ask people in Australia this?
    Or do an google search for "compare credit card companies"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

astonaidan wrote: »
    I had only planned on getting one incase of an unexpected reason to fly home when i got there, not for crazy drinkin or spending binges

Why dont you get an Irish one, why get an Australian one?

Visa is Visa like....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Zambia wrote: »
    Why dont you get an Irish one, why get an Australian one?

Visa is Visa like....:confused:

Not at all, with an irish one every transaction will incur and overseas transaction fee...vice versa with an Australian one abroad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I mean if its for peace of mind it wont be used so those charges wont be an issue. For use in oz yes go local.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

i plan on getting a credit card for when i go to australia, just wondering if anyone could recommend which would be the best one to get, thanks in advance for replys

I presume you have an Irish bank account. If you do I'd just get one that links with that. You say you only want it for emergencies so then a couple of quid transaction fee won't kill you if you were using it for an emergency. You will have to pay stamp duty in Ireland for the card though (€30 a year I think).

Also if your folks needed to send you money for any reason, you could get them to put it into your Irish bank account. Then using internet banking you could put it on your cc and use down under. It means you never have to worry about a Western Union transfer (fees are a fortune) or a bank transfer (about €15 in my bank and takes a few days).

If you're in Australia and try to get a card down there you may not be able to get one. If you go into a bank and say I'm a backpacker and I'm down here for a couple of years can you give me a credit card what do you think they'll say? :D
    When you open accounts down there they'll ask to see your passport.

I did get one while I was down there but I was there for 5 years and still might have misticked the odd box on the application forms. I'd never recommend anybody do that obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Don't bother with an Aussie one, just get an Irish one in my opinion

I have the AIB student mastercard. Its excellant, max limit in €600 and you can use it to get cash advances -which is only charged a small fee- €1.20 or something like that. Great if your short on cash - i.e waiting for wages etc. This card can also be used all over the world.

Also with AIB internet banking its very easy to manage your money, make re-payments, transfer funds etc. AND if you have very understanding and kind parents its very easy for them to pay off your credit card bill where as if you get in trouble with an Aussie company the situation may be trickier

Advertisement