Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Varg Vikernes/Ghaal nutcases?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

They can sometimes espouse rational arguments and seem fairly articulate but are also bigots and dangerous. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Varg is a bit of nutcase, just look at his strange political opinion. And the whole lot of the NSBM scene in Germany launched a campaign to release him from prison earlier.

Ghaal? A bit weird, but at least not backed by a bunch of neo nazis ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

They can sometimes espouse rational arguments and seem fairly articulate but are also bigots and dangerous. Opinions?
    Honestly I don't know enough about either of them to have an opinion. Someone can be a dangerous bigot without being a nutcase though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

You can appreciate an artist's music without subscribing to their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Do you think they're sociopaths though? For example Vikernes is a murderer and Gaahl? spell? beat up and tortured two guys who apparently attacked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Do you think they're sociopaths though? For example Vikernes is a murderer and Gaahl? spell? beat up and tortured two guys who apparently attacked him.

What I heard about Ghaal was, he acted in some kind of self defense. Apparently, he is gay and those who attacked him were assaulting him because of his sexual preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Watch it from the 6:50 minute mark onwards. The interviewer won't be going back to Ghaal's house anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Well in relation to Varg, I think there has to something wrong with any one who is a murderer. But you cant take away his talent and impact in Black metal, he was way ahead of his time. In regards to his views everyone has there own opinion about the world. Think people dwell too much on his Nazi views.(anyone who believes in that sh1t is an idiot not a nutcase).

Ghaal on the other hand i think is more of a nutcase in my opinion, he is obviously not in touch with reality, with torturing them people, and the fact that his upbringing consisted of isolation and one friend whom commited suicide at an early age! (not saying that this can make someone a nutter but it obviously had an impact on him) But again an amazing frontman and vocals.

Also at the end of that documentary its pretty obvious the guy is not well!!

Such a powerful Tune!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nf_zOPMQYQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Under the Sign of Hell is a great album.

I haven't seen that True Norwegian Black Metal documentary but from the sounds of it they got a few things wrong. Still, the end of it looked interesting. Would you say its worth checking out?

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Under the Sign of Hell is a great album.

I haven't seen that True Norwegian Black Metal documentary but from the sounds of it they got a few things wrong. Still, the end of it looked interesting. Would you say its worth checking out?

Well is done by Peter Beste (same guy who did the Black metal Photography)

http://www.peterbeste.com/home/

Its an Alright Documentary but focuses more on Ghaal than the blackmetal scene. There are actually hasnt been a good doc made on blackmetal (as Until the light takes us really wasnt that good)

http://www.blackmetalmovie.com/

But I would recommend this, Mayhems Story, very Nice watch!!

mayhemdvd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

GrizzlyMan wrote: »

Ghaal on the other hand i think is more of a nutcase in my opinion, he is obviously not in touch with reality, with torturing them people, and the fact that his upbringing consisted of isolation and one friend whom commited suicide at an early age! (not saying that this can make someone a nutter but it obviously had an impact on him) But again an amazing frontman and vocals.

Also at the end of that documentary its pretty obvious the guy is not well!!

Such a powerful Tune!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nf_zOPMQYQ&feature=related

I think Varg might be the more sinister of the two, due to the fact that if you watched until the light takes us without knowing about his background you'd say he was an affable and charming guy. He seems to fit the criteria of a sociopath, someone who is superficially charming and can comes across as quite personable. At least with Ghaal what you see is what you get.

• Advertisement

I think Varg might be the more sinister of the two, due to the fact that if you watched until the light takes us without knowing about his background you'd say he was an affable and charming guy. He seems to fit the criteria of a sociopath, someone who is superficially charming and can comes across as quite personable. At least with Ghaal what you see is what you get.

Well you actually make a good point there :)

These seem to be the most known "nutcases in underground metal" but I do think Faust from Emperor/Scum/Thorns also deserves a mention. He was pretty Sinister also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A5rd_Faust

and also John Nödtveidt from Dissection to a lesser extent.(Suppose the list is endless) I guess with extreme art youll always get extreme people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I think its gas at the fact both of them share their real name of Kristian.

Varg always seemed to me like the absolute bellend that always tried to fit in with a particular crowd even tho he annoys the tits off everyone, with his load mouthed views and opinions. He annoys everyone more with the fact he has an abundance of talent.

They were all kids in the Early 90's in Norway, I wonder do even half of them still share the beliefs that they did then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I reckon it'd be hard to out-derange Dead from Mayhem. It was pretty inevitable that he would blow his brains out or something, leading to that infamous bootleg album cover, and the skull necklace thing with Euronymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Yeah Dead really outdid most people in the weirdness stakes,
    For concerts, Dead went to great lengths to achieve the image and atmosphere he desired. From the beginning of his career he was known to wear "corpse paint", which involved covering his face with black and white makeup. According to Necrobutcher, "It wasn't anything to do with the way Kiss and Alice Cooper used makeup. Dead actually wanted to look like a corpse. He didn't do it to look cool."[4] Additionally, Hellhammer claimed that Dead "was the first black metal musician to use corpse paint",[5] although King Diamond, Celtic Frost and Sarcófago did before him.
    To complete his corpse-like image, Dead would bury his clothes before a concert and dig them up again to wear on the night of the event. According to Hellhammer:
    Before the shows, Dead used to bury his clothes into the ground so that they could start to rot and get that "grave" scent. He was a "corpse" on a stage. Once he even asked us to bury him in the ground - he wanted his skin to become pale.[5]
    During one tour with Mayhem he found a dead crow, which he collected and stored in a plastic bag. He often carried it around with him and would smell the bird before performing, in order to sing "with the stench of death in his nostrils."[4]
    - from Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Ah lads come on how could ye find these 2 lads to be nutcases/intimidating?! :p

1287982597varg-laughing.jpg

1264880855000_Gaahl_og_kj_resten_3024895708x708r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Testament1 wrote: »
    Ah lads come on how could ye find these 2 lads to be nutcases/intimidating?! :p
    It's the beards obviously ;).

Seriously though, that 5 part True Norwegian Black Metal documentary is well worth a watch. If anything it's made me want to go there to check out the spectacular scenery. The five parts are linked below, without the Italian subtitles getting in the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4U33U_UyzQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSUmKubFIUY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNN-ZnYg1Vo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRTHzR2Pxro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avnsgYvHPK8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Vaarg married and has a family now. I wonder what his wife looks like, I keep imagining a valkerie. Gaahl seems to have mellowed in his far right views.

wiki wrote:
    Gaahl maintains that he has no clear set of political beliefs, and that his circle of friends includes both right-wingers and left-wingers.[12] However, in a controversial 1995 interview he stated his support for Varg Vikernes, Adolf Hitler and Roman emperors Julius Caesar, Augustus, Caligula and Nero. He also described people such as "****", "mulattoes" and Muslims as "subhuman".[26][29] In 2008 when asked about such controversial stances in Rock Hard magazine. Gaahl explained:

In the early '90s, there were all these different youth gangs in Norway and one thing led to another. I was involved in gang fights and had false friends ... There was no political disposition – not with me nor any of my friends. But you had to profess allegiance to a certain group if you wanted to defend yourself and not get your ass kicked.[12]

Presumably during the 1990s, the stances Gaahl supposedly maintained prompted the Anti-Defamation League to list Trelldom on its Hate Music Groups.[30]

I don't know I get the sense that both of them too involved in this imagined LOTR/Conan the Barbarian version of scandanavian history, which makes it okay for them to go around being violent because they see themselves as righteous Vikings, on the other hand they're also probably a bit nutty.

Advertisement