Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one pot recipies

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

Hey!

basically im on erasmus in france and i need some recipies that will make my money go far but i am very limited in my cooking methods....there are only 2 hobbs and a microwave and no oven so i can only use saucepans and frying pans :(

so does anyone have any suggestions about what i could do??

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out the Easy Peasy recipes thread here: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70306631#post70306631

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Hi
    Erasmus trip..oh, great adventure:) I was in Vilnius in 1998:) great time!
    I know nice spanish omlette. It's fast and easy, and you can make with equipment you have available.Ingredients
    • 90ml (6 tbsp) Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
    • 3 onions, sliced
    • 675g/11/2 lb Rooster potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    • 110g-chorizo sausage, sliced
    • 6 large eggs, beaten
    • Salt and pepper
    Step by step:
    1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and potatoes and fry for 8-10 minutes or until tender and golden.
    2. Add the chorizo and fry for 2 minutes. Shake the pan until the onions, potatoes and chorizo form an even layer. Drain off excess oil.
    3. Beat the eggs with seasoning, pour into the pan, cover and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the eggs begin to set.
    4. Cook the omelette under a hot grill for 2 minutes or until all the egg has set and top is brown. Serve in wedges with rocket leaves.
    Here is link to whole recipe: Spanish Omelette
    And remember:D Erasmus trip is about everything besides studying:D
    Take care and have fun :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

thanks guys :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I came to France on Erasmus and am still here 15 years later.:)

If you're in the Cité-U make friends with your neighbours and cook in groups - cheap and fun.

Shop in ED/Dia if you have one local and make sure you always have pasta and rice in stock.

Get fruit and vegetables from the arab markets as opposed to the tourist ones

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Don't forget about making hearty soup, you can add some finely sliced chicken breast and it will poach as the soup is cooking too.

Just make sure your veg is cut the same size and season your soup well. Cook soup for 20mins or until veg is tender. You can add small pasta, red split lentils etc to bulk it out too.

Great one pot wonder....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Things that come immediately to mind are risotto, paella, minestrone soup, stir fries, good old Irish stew, slow cooked goulash ... I lived with The One Ring and a very limited budget for about 5 years - eating well is totally possible!

If you have a big enough pot, get a chicken, bung it in there, poach in water with a halved onion and a couple of carrots, a bay leaf or two, some peppercorns and a good pinch of salt. When it's done you'll have a poached chicken you can use for several meals, plus some great stock (cool, strain and remove fat when it solidifies on top) for your risotto or paella. You can dice the breasts and add them to a white sauce with herbs, use the poached thighs in your paella, and other little scraps of meat in a risotto with some mushrooms.

My minestrone sup goes like this: heat a good splosh of olive oil in a big and deep pan, add a finely chopped onion and 2 crushed and chopped cloves of garlic - sweat them in the oil for a few minutes whilst you peel and slice a carrot and perhaps a courgette. Add the carrot and/or courgette to the pan, and allow to cook for a few more minutes. Chuck in a tin of tomatoes - chopped or otherwise (if not chopped, squish them as you cook), plus a generous sprinkle of Schwarz Garlic Italian Seasoning (or if you can't get that, dried or fresh oregano), some freshly ground black pepper, and a chicken stock cube (unless you're a veggie, in which case you don't need me to tell you to use a veggie cube!). Stir it all round for a few mins over a gentle heat, then open a tin of beans - I like butter beans in mine, but any beans will do - drain, and in they go! Add some boiling water - I'd say around half a pint, but use your judgement - make it look 'soupy' as opposed to 'stewy'. Taste, then add a splurt of tomato puree if you think it needs it. Add some soup pasta, or spaghetti broken into little bits, cook until done, then serve with shedloads of freshly grated Parmesan on top, and garlic bread (you can make that in a frying pan, if necessary) on the side.

If you're not veggie, the addition of some finely chopped ham is good, too. This is a real main dish soup, not a starter.

Let me know if you want a risotto or paella recipe - they're cheap and easy and there are loads of them on Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,499 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DubDubStep wrote: »
    Cook the omelette under a hot grill for 2 minutes

OP doesn't have a grill :)

Instead of putting the omelette under a hot grill for 2 minutes, carefully flip over the omelette in the pan and fry it on the other side for 1-2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When I was a student, my mam bought me a cook book.
    I was nevr a bad cook and it was more of a gimmick.

The book was 'The student cookbook"

The recipies are all geared towards students, ie
    Mostly cheap and easy meals,
    What to make with the last few bits and pieces (with half an onion, a tin of spagetti and bread thats a bit stale, it shows how to make "pasta pockets", made up example, but you get the idea)

Then the latter half is divided into recipies depending on what facilities you have.

Chptr1. Things to make with 1 pot and a toaster
    Chptr2. Things to make with 2 pots and a microwave
    Chptr3. Things to make with 1 pot and an oven

etc

There are lots of version apparently;
    Here's some reviews, http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/books/seven-of-the-best-student-cookbooks-1785006.html

Mine one is there, 3 out of 5

Advertisement