Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the market for a computer capable of editing hd video

Options
  • 02-02-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Okay so I edit hd gameplay recorded with a Happauge HD PVR as some of you may or may not know already. At the moment it is impossible to edit the recorded footage without lag in Vegas. My computer currently is a Dell XPS 710 desktop. Ive 3gb ram, not a notion of the rest lol. Im not exactly hardware saavy.

Im looking now to buy or build (god forbid) a new computer. One that is well capable of editing the hd gameplay.

I dont exactly have a budget but obviously as we would all i'd love for it to be cheap-ish :pac:

Anyone recommend anything? Deals atm?

Help very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Right, let me be the first in saying, that PC should be fine for editing videos on Sony Vegas. It's your settings that need to be changed when rendering. I've had similar problems. It's the horizontal issues you're having along with stuttering yeah? I render in wmv format in 1080p with no issues whatsoever. I've had issues otherwise in other formats on Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Right, let me be the first in saying, that PC should be fine for editing videos on Sony Vegas. It's your settings that need to be changed when rendering. I've had similar problems. It's the horizontal issues you're having along with stuttering yeah? I render in wmv format in 1080p with no issues whatsoever. I've had issues otherwise in other formats on Vegas

No no, it frequently stops responding and its impossible to playback while editing. It just lags constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

what is the exact specs of your 710?
    plus if you do need to get a new computer your better off building as it's way cheaper and better quality

what is the exact specs of your 710?
    plus if you do need to get a new computer your better off building as it's way cheaper and better quality

How do I begin?

sorry begin what? finding out your specs or building a comp? =S

• Advertisement

sorry begin what? finding out your specs or building a comp? =S

Building one, the computer I have is over 5 years old now I reckon its just worn out.

you can either look it up on youtube and learn for yourself or have someone build it for you (like myself who offer it as a service) and if it is general ware and tare then upgrading might be pointless and a waste of cash if the problem turned out to be something else.
    so if you want i can quickly spec you out a pc for you.

you can either look it up on youtube and learn for yourself or have someone build it for you (like myself who offer it as a service) and if it is general ware and tare then upgrading might be pointless and a waste of cash if the problem turned out to be something else.
    so if you want i can quickly spec you out a pc for you.

That'd be great, just a list of what I need and decent enough to do what I want. Thanks

got one specced out just have to screen cap it but how does €662.74 sound for a amd hex-core comp?

got one specced out just have to screen cap it but how does €662.74 sound for a amd hex-core comp?

No idea what that is lol. €662 doesnt sound too steep though, any lower?

• Advertisement

hex-core = six cores
    i'll post the screen cap first then i'll see about going lower

i1bnk1.jpg

i1bnk1.jpg

Wow is that all I need? What about OS?

sorry i forgot to add the os >.<
    cause when i spec out a computer for a client i incude a oem copy with the build (€20 for both the build and the os) but you can buy one for about €100 online

specced out another computer for you thats slightly cheaper but is a quad core rather than a hex core and has a slightly slower graphics card plus a smaller hdd i'll post the screencap when i get on my comp im. on my phone atm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got this recommended for me to do after effects, you could probably half the amount of ram and it would come in just under or around a grand.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056145970

great set up you reccomended so while the premium is completely worth its just to much overkill for what the comp is needed i think

Wow 12gb. Thanks IrishMetalHead for all your hope. Whats the general procedure once I purchase the parts?

in regards of building it?
    well theres loads vids on youtube if ya want to have a stab at it yourself or you can contact someone who can build it for you for the lazier route =P

in regards of building it?
    well theres loads vids on youtube if ya want to have a stab at it yourself or you can contact someone who can build it for you for the lazier route =P

I love a good challange :D However is the much possibility of ruining anything? Lotta money for me to be ****ing about.

• Advertisement

well personally i don't think that it's that hard to do but if you are having doubts it's worth to look into someone doing it for you, i could do it for you for €20 including a copy of windows 7 but i say you live just out of reach from me =/

btw here is the other comp i specced and priced for just under €550:

2yy5y53.jpg

well personally i don't think that it's that hard to do but if you are having doubts it's worth to look into someone doing it for you, i could do it for you for €20 including a copy of windows 7 but i say you live just out of reach from me =/

btw here is the other comp i specced and priced for just under €550:

2yy5y53.jpg

Thats brilliant thanks again. Isnt pixmania a little dear tho?

not really i find between them and dabs.ie they are the cheapest if your buying multipal items where as HWVScharge a flat rate of €30 for shipping
    komplett used to be dirt cheap but there prices sky rocketed when they introduced free shipping

ohh forgot to say if you want to add another 4gb of ram to either build to bring them up to 8gb just add another €43.90 =]

Say I wished to buy a computer for use tomorrow. Do you know of any deals? Is there a good deal on pixmania even? Talking built computers already.

i could have a look for you but oem computer cost atleast 20 to 25% more plus there heavily unbalanced, but i heard if you order from hardwareversand and tey'll put the whole thing together for you for €20 if your intrested in that option?

i could have a look for you but oem computer cost atleast 20 to 25% more plus there heavily unbalanced, but i heard if you order from hardwareversand and tey'll put the whole thing together for you for €20 if your intrested in that option?

Oh ill have a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 littlebigman

Thanks IrishMetalHead,
    Just used your specs and ordered from hardwareversand, upped Ram to 6Gb and HDD to 1Gb and dropped the build service. Can confirm DHL delivery is €30. Total cost €651.90. Looking forward to my first build

• Advertisement

6gb of ram? just to check did you order a triple channel 6gb of ram or did you buy double channel 4gb and added another 2gb double channel?

Advertisement