Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wireless router not connecting to internet via UPC cable modem

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All,

A problem I have is I bought a new router, a Cisco E2000. My old netgear router was crashing etc so it was time to change. The thing is the new router wont connect to the internet, do you think I need a crossover cable?

I reset everything. Also if i connect my pc directly to the cable modem I cant connect to internet. but it has to be via the netgear router. Thats why I feel I need a crossover cable.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Branch wrote: »
    Hi All,

A problem I have is I bought a new router, a Cisco E2000. My old netgear router was crashing etc so it was time to change. The thing is the new router wont connect to the internet, do you think I need a crossover cable?

I reset everything. Also if i connect my pc directly to the cable modem I cant connect to internet. but it has to be via the netgear router. Thats why I feel I need a crossover cable.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

You don't need a crossover cable. You've plugged the network cable between the WAN port on the router to the cable modem? You've set the router to use a WAN/Internet type of DHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

I figured out what it is....The cable modem has a MAC address programmed into it, Prob from the original PC (which is long gone), The router uses this MAC address to act as the access point to talk to the web. Maybe its a security thing UPC have to only allow registered MAC addresses to a certain account. So with the new router I had to enter in the MAC address from the original pc/router. It was handier than to ring UPC to change it etc.. It works fine now.

Thanks Spear for replying

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I figured out what it is....The cable modem has a MAC address programmed into it, Prob from the original PC (which is long gone), The router uses this MAC address to act as the access point to talk to the web. Maybe its a security thing UPC have to only allow registered MAC addresses to a certain account. So with the new router I had to enter in the MAC address from the original pc/router. It was handier than to ring UPC to change it etc.. It works fine now.

Thanks Spear for replying

That sounds a bit weird. What model was the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

Spear wrote: »
    That sounds a bit weird. What model was the modem?

The sticker is worn off it but it does say propety of NTL so its going back a while then. From what I read on the web most ISP's do this. perhaps its to stop other users (like neighbours) hacking into the cable network so only registered users can connect.

The sticker is worn off it but it does say propety of NTL so its going back a while then. From what I read on the web most ISP's do this. perhaps its to stop other users (like neighbours) hacking into the cable network so only registered users can connect.

Kinda, the MAC address of the modem itself is used for that, but this is only done on cable modem networks and not the DSL providers. I guess it's possible it's a really old modem that requires the connected devices MAC to be regged instead, hence some routers have a clone MAC address option to help with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement