Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cods Roe

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I usually boil, then slice up later and pan fry with some flour but has anyone got any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I usually boil, then slice up later and pan fry with some flour but has anyone got any other ideas?

Never heard of these before, had to just look them up, what are they like? And where would you get them? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Never heard of these before, had to just look them up, what are they like? And where would you get them? Cheers.

I got mine at the local Eurospar but I have bought at Superquinn and fishmongers. The membrane look of the roe sac puts some people off. Its in season at the moment. The flavour is very light, hard to describe. Its well worth trying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

It comes in "hard" and "soft" versions. The "hard" is eggs, and comes from the female fish, while the "soft" is from male fish, and isn't eggs! I remember finding it in herrings when I was a kid, and both versions were delicious. Sometimes, when ordering a sole on the bone in a restaurant, you find it under the skin - I see that as a real bonus.

The roe from a female sturgeon is caviar - so it is highly regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I got mine at the local Eurospar but I have bought at Superquinn and fishmongers. The membrane look of the roe sac puts some people off. Its in season at the moment. The flavour is very light, hard to describe. Its well worth trying out.

Cheers mate nice one, might have to pick some up, and did you come across any other ideas for what to do with it? Might play it safe and do your boil/fry for my first go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

My dad is a fisherman and we used to always have this. I always thought it was from the female as it is fish eggs.

We would have it boiled and then eat it cold in salads or sandwiches. Othertimes we had it fried as you described. We had it mashed in through potatoes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Foodfanatic

In Denmark, where I am from, it is very common to eat boiled and served on rye bread with a bit of lemon juice and Danish tartar sauce. Yummy. Haven't seen it overhere, but dying to get my hands on some. Anyone know where to get it in Dublin?

Advertisement