Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water feature on seafront

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Couldn't believe my eyes this evening when I saw a roped off area in front of ST Davids and a sign saying a "water feature" is under construction. Hello? In front of a natural "water feature" i.e The sea!! Have the council lost the run of themselves altogether? It'll look ridiculous.....I despair!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Selandia wrote: »
    Couldn't believe my eyes this evening when I saw a roped off area in front of ST Davids and a sign saying a "water feature" is under construction. Hello? In front of a natural "water feature" i.e The sea!! Have the council lost the run of themselves altogether? It'll look ridiculous.....I despair!

erm...is this the harbour?

*cough*

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If it's anything like the "water feature" in the park I'm sure it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Could be a drinking fountain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

sagat2 wrote: »
    Could be a drinking fountain?

Sure everyone just goes to the beach to drink, waste of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Must agree with you. Where are the funds coming from???
    Pot holes all over the place, footpaths broken and the council procede with this costly project. Has no one in Engineers office been around the town to witness the damage from the harsh winter weather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Public toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I don't think it is going to be a water feature. There is a sign up ok with "water features and landscaping" written on it. It appears to be a contractor's sign. Maybe it is being done with a private residents money and not the council's funds.
    (I wonder has it/does it require planning permission ? thinking out loud to myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I don't think it is going to be a water feature. There is a sign up ok with "water features and landscaping" written on it. It appears to be a contractor's sign. Maybe it is being done with a private residents money and not the council's funds.
    (I wonder has it/does it require planning permission ? thinking out loud to myself)

Well I'd be just as outraged if it's private money, a water feature will look ridiculous in the forefront of what is a beautiful sea view. Surely it couldn't have planning permission? Apart from the funds being needed for pothole and other repairs as pointed out by the previous poster, they could have been spent doing sensitive repairs and maintainence to the cliff walk to Bray or the sea path to Kilcoole. Leave the Greystones seafront alone, I say, there's enough silly little walls and paths leading nowhere!

I really don't think it is a water feature. I can understand your concern though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

open-air urinal?
    altar for human sacrifices?
    first section of the Greystones monorail?

looks like a BBQ.

monorail,monorail,monorail! Donuts, is there anything they can't do?

I propose the replacement of the Charlesland Shuttle with a Monorail...daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

It's.... eh..... beautiful, just what we needed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Just walked by it. Funnily enough - it looks just like the photos...

It's certainly not a water feature - that's just the range of the contractor's work.

Not sure what it is. I'd guess at a Greystones sign with map etc. Perhaps description of the grey stones? Would be nice if we got more info from the WCC or Greystones committee as to what it is.

But for now, I won't knee-jerk object or be sarcastic - I'll wait until it's finished...

It is part 1 of 2 by the looks of it :)

I see they are progressing on the 2 display stands at the seafront.
    To display the Birds and the Flowers & Fauna of the locality

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Don't be too quick to judge, i've often seen crows & dogs dragging rubbish out of these bins in search of a snack.

markest wrote: »
    Don't be too quick to judge, i've often seen crows & dogs dragging rubbish out of these bins in search of a snack.

OK point taken, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also, that bin is full - the wind would easily blow out rubbish from the top of it. The provision of bins around Greystones in general is very poor (there isn't a single bin on Church Lane).

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    also, that bin is full - the wind would easily blow out rubbish from the top of it. The provision of bins around Greystones in general is very poor (there isn't a single bin on Church Lane).

Not only are there too few of them, they are not emptied enough. In Summertime the park opposite the DART station is full of rubbish as the bins are full so people are putting their rubbish next to the bins, but it gets blown around the park. Yes, ok, there are some dickheads who leave their rubbish on the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

5543014549_1e3586723b_z.jpg
    Heard they were two podiums/sea defences for Enda and Simon Harris to stand on as the tsunami of overwhelming debt comes from the East.The bin is overflowing from all the rubbish they've been speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

No just heard update that they are launchpads for the Harris type 3 missile.BTW has anybody heard or seen from him lately.

Harris who?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What's thepoint of these?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

I for one like them.

• Advertisement

Credit where credit is due - good job Greystones Town Council & Tidy Towns...

Advertisement