Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: 2011

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

About time we started a new thread for 2011. The sun will be starting to find its feet in a month or so, and will lead us into the April Showers phase, where this year we're going to see plenty of action......right??!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

With mention of Thunder in todays forecast and evidence of some convection around today I thought I would just bump this up a small bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lots of hail here no no lightning as of yet, one recent strike in Fermanagh according to my local weather station

http://193.1.80.111/weather/lightning/stormvue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The taken a few minutes ago:
    149674.JPG

149675.JPG

Some hail doing the rounds here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Interesting stuff. What signs would you be looking for. I notice the rise of high cloud which looks a bit odd to me

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Interesting stuff. What signs would you be looking for. I notice the rise of high cloud which looks a bit odd to me

Yep, its all about rapid vertical development!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Yep, its all about rapid vertical development!:)
    the wife seems to think so too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A little clump of thundershowers are in the front off our SW coast at the moment and my Boltek has picked up some strikes, a rate of 1 or 2 per minute - so nothing spectacular. Similarly CIDK's Cork detector is picking them up also.

http://live.laoisweather.com/lightning

http://www.corklightning.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Do you reckon that rain over the southwest will weaken overland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Couple of strikes of Thunder and lightening here in South Kerry, knocked off power for a minute..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Same here just now

• Advertisement

Danno, CIDK's detector seems to be more accurate than your own, a strike just now was correctly placed to my south, 10 miles, does not show on yours, just letting you know.

Big hailstorm passing through

Cheers CH, I am working on my Weather PC tonight, so the detector is intermittent. Please keep reporting strikes here though, and if possible, state nearest town and time of strike.

Cork will always prove more accurate in the SW due to proximity to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hope it makes it's way east! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

it looks like that it is making its way east :)

i think the thunder and lightning has stopped in this front.... am i right?

or is the website im looking at just not accurate?

Correct Ian, the thunder has stopped in the front. I have seen this a few times before, embedded thunderstorms in a front that die out as soon as they get inland. Not the first time I have read of SW Kerry County folk getting their power knocked off by a strike either in these kinda setups.

Danno wrote: »
    Correct Ian, the thunder has stopped in the front. I have seen this a few times before, embedded thunderstorms in a front that die out as soon as they get inland. Not the first time I have read of SW Kerry County folk getting their power knocked off by a strike either in these kinda setups.
    2 strikes near kilkenny town... i say thatll be the last of it tough, seems to be breaking up on radar now.

ah well.... next time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

3 flashes of lightning with thunder - north Kilkenny.

Quite close as the thunder was very quick after the lightning.

Missed it visually - damn TV in bedroom! Switched off now... window overlooking the pleatau is opened!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Missed it visually - damn TV in bedroom! Switched off now... window overlooking the pleatau is opened!

It has been quiet for a while now, it was moving towards Carlow. The electricity went for about 30 seconds, I am awake watching a heifer calving from bed so was glad it came back.

Ahhh Danno, for all u know u missed ur chance for the next few weeks now! haha

Heres yesterday's counts.
    sferic_20110405.gif

Good to have the Met.ie maps to compare my own to, I must say the Boltek detector here did quite well despite the low-intensity of the storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

This is about the calculation of the number of thunderstorms at any given hour on the planet.
    Its not as big as people thought.
    But still Ireland doesnt seem get near as many thunderstorms as other countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12991483

Rtavn3011.png

Slight chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow evening along the front of the cold front pushing in from the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Anyone see any lightning today? Sister at work this evening said she seen a flash and picture went of the telly for e few second's, at about 6.30 this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep there was one rumble of thunder here around 6.45, didnt notice any lightning and it was quite distant but finally something at least

Wednesday looking very promising, esp for the west. Maybe us in the east can get a couple of imported storms from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

This weekend looks good for heavy showers with thunder locally according to met eireann:):)... Lets hope it pans out that way cause i can't take anymore of this boring weather:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dexter647 wrote: »
    This weekend looks good for heavy showers with thunder locally according to met eireann:):)... Lets hope it pans out that way cause i can't take anymore of this boring weather:mad:

Had a look at the latest GFS run for the weekend and it looks kinda poor for thundery potential at the momento.

Advertisement