Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Mock - I wonder if I'll manage a sentence...

• 03-02-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Sat down with the 2010 History paper.... and realized that if I'd been sitting it - I would have struggled to string together one historical fact associated with the topic.

No exaggeration there.... it just will not go in. I sit, I read, I re-read, I take notes, I buy the revision books, I get extra notes - and yet, I'm still clueless.

The thought of sitting down to a mock paper next week and having nothing to write is probably one of the scariest thoughts I've had in a long time.

This will be my first ever fail...

I can't understand why I'm not remembering any of it :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Find out what essays are coming up through the mocks thread if your that worried. Learn them off the best you can. At least then you should do good in the mock plus you will have these learnt for the LC aswell.

Don't worry about the mocks. They're stupid. They put us under needless pressure and mark them ridiculuously hard just to make us work harder. Even though it might have the opposite effect....worry about June not next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I know how you feel :(
    Just try your best and I'm sure you will manage to find stuff to write about, plus there is the documents question too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

LIke pretty much all LC exams, there is a technique to doing well in history. The most important thing is to try and keep your answers well structured. If you don't, the examiner will hit you hard in the Overall Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alwaysanon

Take it from a history (third level) graduate...

Don't learn off essays. Have a broad overview of the events (I always think timelines are fantastic for this) and have a few facts for each of the key events (but make sure you know the timeline first). Then show the examiner that you've thought about the question as opposed to having learnt it.

When you go to college you will understand why the Leaving Cert is ridiculous. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

Youve prob heard this loads already but make sure ya address the question..I always use to summarise the subject and my teacher said if I addressed the question I'd get an A but if you dont its C standard..anyway I've recieved good info and I'd say if your struggling to study make sure ya know Coleraine for NI,Fascism in Italy for Europe,Truman Success and Failures or Economy 1945-68 for America and Fianna Fail..prob dismantling the treaty for Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Fear not, obviously the way your learning just isn't for you.
    There is a smart way of studying history. I studied history on my own last year and it made me very conscious that no1 was going to do the work for me. Get out the exam papers and note patterns in questions, try and decipher what questions you think may come up. Ask your teacher, or search boards.
    Try and compile good essays for each area (non specific) such as... the british economy, or whatever. Then with these essays, try and just learn them broadly. Try and grasp what went on. Make it almost a story. Also, don't do everything... I mean, im sure no teacher would approve, but like i left out russia and stalin. I know he came up every year... but so did germany.. You can be a wee bit selective. Its better to know everything about one area than know some on both.
    If you would like any help on anything... I wouldn't mind helping.. Just pm me.

I hope this helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I always felt like that, but once the exam hit I generally just knew what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sat down with the 2010 History paper.... and realized that if I'd been sitting it - I would have struggled to string together one historical fact associated with the topic.

No exaggeration there.... it just will not go in. I sit, I read, I re-read, I take notes, I buy the revision books, I get extra notes - and yet, I'm still clueless.

The thought of sitting down to a mock paper next week and having nothing to write is probably one of the scariest thoughts I've had in a long time.

This will be my first ever fail...

I can't understand why I'm not remembering any of it :rolleyes:

History is the only subject I find easy. What I do is watch History channel, or documentaries on the topics we do at school (and more, but that's extra cos I like history) then develop an interest in it. Then, write a general essay on everything you know about it. Then store it in a folder until an exam is coming up, pull it out, re-write it, and you should find it quite easy in the exam.

I'd find history very, very hard if I "studied" it or tried to learn it like any other subject. Try and enjoy it, take an interest in it if you can and you should be okay. Good luck anyway! ;)

Advertisement