Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Breakages?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I regularly post framed pictures to customers, using Express post track & trace. The frames are in individual boxes and I use cardboard to protect the glass front of the frame.I then protect it further by wrapping in bubble-wrap and placing 'Fragile/Glass/handle with care' stickers on the package.
    I have tested dropping them and throwing them onto the sofa etc without any breakages. Imo one would have to try very hard to break one.

AN POST have broken 4 so far (which I have obviously replaced at my own cost-and will not be able to sustain at this early stage of my business).
    I have filled in the appropriate forms with an post and got a reply saying investigations are under way (The 1st was 7weeks ago and there has been no follow up since).

Has anyone had the same or similar problems? How did you handle it and what was the end result?
    Its a nerve-wracking wait everytime i post one.
    Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have sent, and received, many fragile items through an Post over ther years. Only oncein the past 2 years did we have breakage and in fairness it was due to inappropriate packaging.
    I think you really need to look at the packaging as it obviously is not sufficient for the product concerned. An post are good at advising on these matters and a visit to them can be very worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Frames are notoriously difficult things to send out by post / courier. Hence no standard courier / post service insures them against damage.

Here's your parcel's journey

Collection at post office & placed in Van, van continues collections until 6pm and drops all post / parcels at local delivery office.

Poat/parcels loaded into cages and transported to Dublin mails or portlaoise mails centres and is placed on a conveyor belt and automatically sorted back into cages for relevant local areas, then back in truck, then into lacl van and then delivered.

See how many areas where the glass can get broken?

One option - deliver to local delivery office yourself & have a a large label saying "Fragile - Picture Frames - Contains Glass" and let the manager of the delivery office know what you are sending. (show him actual product)

He can then send it in a special cage for things such as boxes of wines, hampers etc, which does not go on the conveyor belt.

It will get rid of some of the breakages, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

In fairness Kent test dropping something by dropping it on a couch is not a test drop, not many couchs on the old postal route.

i post alot of biscuits abroad and have improved my packing techniques as broken product is no good to anyone. yes there will be the odd fool that wont take proper care but by and large they try to ensure that your package will arrive safely.

Have another look at the way you are packing and do a proper test to see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Dropping it on a sofa isn't going to test much really. You need to test them using real life scenarios. How rigid is the package if one of the corners is been bent? If a smaller package is placed on top of the glass part, how much support does it have?

If your business depends on sending fragile items in the post, you need to make sure that your packaging meets the job. The box needs to to be fairly rigid with some kind of styrofoam to keep the frame in place. Bubblewrap will help protect from a fall or drop, but won't really keep the frame in place or give it support.

I'm sure packaging companies, have products that they recommend for frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You need to double-box a glazed frame.

i.e.

put it in a padded cardboard box that it can't move about in.

Then put that box in another larger box with styrofoam pellets or similar.

That's the only way to dramatically reduce breakages on fragile items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

91011 wrote: »
    Here's your parcel's journey

Collection at post office & Heaved into a Van, van continues collections until 6pm and drops all post / parcels at local delivery office.

Poat/parcels fired into cages and transported to Dublin mails or portlaoise mails centres and is tossed on a conveyor belt and automatically dropped back into cages for relevant local areas, then back in truck, then into lacl van and then delivered.

See how many areas where the glass can get broken?

FYP slightly, Also Fragile stickers are worthless, and possibly an advert of abuse.
    Strand at your door and throw the box acoss the drive to the footpath, not placing it on your soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Thanks for all the replies.

We already drop the parcels directly to the local sorting office and know the manager as we are regular callers there.

He has assured us that they are correctly and securely packaged and has explained all about separate cages for fragile products etc. He has also assured us that the frames do not leave his office broken and that there is absolutely no reason they should be getting broken any further down the line.

My frames are being broken from abuse and mis-handling not from being badly packaged, and although it is not the 1st time I have been told, it is an absolute disgrace that a 'Fragile/glass' sticker attracts the sort of abuse necessary to break to break a well boxed and wrapped frame.

Have we any come-back on these broken items?

No come back. Sorry but I still maintain they are not properly packaged. If several have broken then they are not correctly packaged. We send and receive fragile items all the time and they are not broken. They are also very very well packaged. Double boxed with foam beads, bubblewrap and paper in a single delivery.

Sorry but I still maintain they are not properly packaged. If several have broken then they are not correctly packaged.

As I said, the Manager in the sorting office has said they ARE properly packaged, and they are not breaking all of them (4 of last 25 to be exact, all packed the same).
    My bro-in law works for a courier company and has also said the packing is not the problem (and mentioned the many van transfers etc that they were subject to without issue).
    Both these professionals have seen the product and the packaging and both agree man-handling (or worse) is the cause of the breakages.

We have courriered our products to Chicago and London (and ussed courriers a few times in Ireland), using 3 different courier companies. All packaged the same way and none broken.

BTW Portlaoise is the nearest Mail centre to me. Do yours pass through there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

all about separate cages for fragile products etc. ,,,,,,, no reason they should be getting broken any further down the line.

My frames are being broken from abuse and mis-handling

Sorry but quite frankly he's speaking out his ar$e.. There are no separate cages for fragiles.

Imagine if you will your box in a wheelie bin, now pile reams of paper in till the bin is full, Think of all that pressure, just from light envelopes. Now think I could be posting heavy items. See how there can be A LOT of weight on your box. That is normal conditions for travel, never mind throwing your box into a cage.

I would agree that if your packages are being mistreated its wrong, but there is no benefit the fragile stickers, so why use them

• Advertisement

BTW Portlaoise is the nearest Mail centre to me. Do yours pass through there?

Now, we are getting to the knub of the issue. You think the damage is being done in the Portlaoise mail office. Then say so. Visit the Portlaoise office and complain. Show them your packaging (not just the boxes but one with a frame inside).

You had 16% breakage; this is a huge percentage! I still think your local sorting office manager is just trying to placate and plumause you.

Ever wonder why postage & packaging on an order can be so expensive? The packaging usually. More cost effective to pay extra for proper packaging than to have 16% breakages.

Now, we are getting to the knub of the issue. You think the damage is being done in the Portlaoise mail office. Then say so.

Lol:D Start many arguements do you :D
    I do Appreciate the feed back though.

I have arranged a meeting with a representitive from An Post to examine my product and packaging to see if there is anything that I can do differently/better. The breakages are under investigation from their end.

I have confirmed that the cages are to seperate the Express post, and not the fragile stuff as I originally, mistakenly thought.

It does appear that it is very difficult to get insurance for sending glass through the post and I take it from the replies that if it breaks its at my own risk.
    I'll keep ye 'posted'.

Advertisement