Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Browsing around at 2nd-hand bikes

• 03-02-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hey there, I'm looking to buy a bike for the first time and I'd like something I'd be able to get quite a lot of enjoyable use out of. I'd probably be cycling about 15K on an average day (college) and a good bit more on gym days.

Anyway, I've found a couple of possibilities on Adverts.ie and the like one of which is a Giant OCR 4 for €230. The others are a Favorit racer for €175 and a Radiant racer for €185. No other details really on the site but the last two are relatively old-looking and the Giant is pretty new and "rarely-used".

Would anyone have any ideas what I'd be best off going with? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Links?

With older bikes much depends on condition, but I'd say both those old racers are overpriced.

The OCR looks decent enough, but I'm a bit confused about "size 57...Suit rider from 5 ‘4 to 5’9"". Size 57 normally suits someone around 5'11" (with a couple of inches either way).

You really want to get the size right.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Yeah, Lumen, I was a bit concerned about that myself so I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow hopefully and sound the guy out a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The radiant and favorit were dogs new and would be surprised if they had aged well. They both have very outdated components and suspect wouldn't last too long with out needing components replaced.
    The Giant has a good solid frame and spares would be easier to source.
    Agree with Lumen on the sizing. 57-58cm frames are really for 5:10 -6:1 riders so check sizing before buying.

A quick glance at adverts shows this cheap little number
    http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/cervelo-r3/428837

Raam uses one of these exclusively for commuting ;)

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336eff8573e3e10cbdc76f5249bc1a01db6.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the link! It's a bit out of my price range though: the Giant might do me for what I'm looking for I reckon. Plus, as a poor student, I need to have spent only enough that it wouldn't be a devastating financial (and psychological) blow to have it stolen. Which is very possible in town or out in UCD.

I need to have spent only enough that it wouldn't be a devastating financial (and psychological) blow to have it stolen. Which is very possible in town or out in UCD.

Whatever bike you buy, spend money on a decent lock (they're available locally) and learn how to use it.

Or else you'll be buying a replacement bike every week.

Lumen wrote: »
    Whatever bike you buy, spend money on a decent lock (they're available locally) and learn how to use it.

Or else you'll be buying a replacement bike every week.

Oh big time. A lock, a helmet and a hi-vis are top of the list. Would you recommend getting both a U- and a chain lock or is it kind of unnecessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I have this bike for sale - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68451928&postcount=9. Perfect bike for a college commute and in as new condition. I'm 6'1" but at 53cm it's the Medium in Dawes "3 size suits all" sizing so probably best for 5'5" - 5'11".

Oh big time. A lock, a helmet and a hi-vis are top of the list. Would you recommend getting both a U- and a chain lock or is it kind of unnecessary?

Depends on what you're trying to secure. U-lock and cable lock are a popular combo, but if you just want to prevent wheel theft some security skewers may be more convenient.

• Advertisement

Cool, I had no idea such things existed!

I have this bike for sale - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68451928&postcount=9. Perfect bike for a college commute and in as new condition. I'm 6'1" but at 53cm it's the Medium in Dawes "3 size suits all" sizing so probably best for 5'5" - 5'11".

Thanks very much, Paul. I'm meeting a guy today about the Giant posted above so I'll let you know anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

No prob. TBH, although both bikes (my Giro 200 and the Giant) have very similiar specs the Giant has the huge advantage of STI shifters and is the main reason it costs about €100 more new. If it's in good condition and it fits it's good value at that price. I wouldn't bother with the other bikes you mentioned above. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the advice; I just bought the Giant OCR4 there. Very nice guy, bike was serviced in the last week or so, in great condition. Delighted. Now to buy helmet, hi-vis, locks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

RobFowl wrote: »
    Raam uses one of these exclusively for commuting ;)

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336eff8573e3e10cbdc76f5249bc1a01db6.jpg

Raam doesn't commute. He just deigns to stop by and do a little work as a break from the spin...

Advertisement