Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which decade of Hip-Hop do you listen to most?

• 03-02-2011 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

For me it is still the 90s.

2 of Biggie's album, Reasonable Doubt, The Chronic and 2001. There are good rap albums from the early 00's but they are not played as the 90's.

Which decade do you listen to most?

Which decade of Hip-Hop do you listen to the most? 32 votes

80's- When Hip-Hop was up and coming and entering it's golden age
    0% 0 votes
    90's- middle and late gold age, when it grew most commercially
    12% 4 votes
    00's- When "snap rap" and "the dirty south" started to take over
    78% 25 votes
    10's- The very recent stuff only
    9% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

90's also, massive attack, beck, beasty boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

80s early 90s: beastie boys, nwa, public enemy, run dmc, tribe called quest, snoop doggy , ice cube, monie love, de la soul, grandmaster flash and even fresh prince & jazzy jeff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

BTW I know a lot of people don't just listen to one decade, but to emphasize again the decade you listen to the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

90's without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

None of them, hip-hop sucks....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

90's by far. Tupac was and always will be a legend. The rest mentioned were great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

For me, it'll always be about the mid to late 80's period that spawned Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, Ice-T, NWA, Ice Cube, Eazy E, Eric B. & Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, Biz Markie, EPMD, Spoonie Gee, Schooly D, Treacherous 3, Kurtis Blow.......even the early LL Cool J stuff, from "Radio" to "Bigger & Deffer" to "Walking with a Panther". And Run DMC and the Beasties - people slag but they were many people's entry into rap/hip hop.

I listened to Ice-T's "Power" again recently and the beats and the rhymes still give me goosebumps - if you newbies haven't heard it, do yourself a favour and listen to it, the first 3 tracks alone will blow you away. A couple of fillers apart, it's a seminal album. Same goes for the early Kool Moe Dee (which I have on vinyl) and I can still remember the first time I heard "Straight Outta Compton"...the anger, the energy, the passion...whilst years before that I must have listened to the soundtrack(s) to Beat Street a million times....on tape.....:)

But no-one could seriously compare the depth of albums like PE's "It takes a Nation....." to the commercial fodder that followed in the 90s 'til now. I guess it depends what you want from your hip hop - do you want social commentary and clever lyrics or do you want Flo-Rida!!! I think the quality bar was higher then and began declining from the 90s onwards. Don't get me wrong, I do like some modern stuff, just PREFER the older joints.

But that's just me...........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Looking at my ipod it's a toss up between 90's and 00's. It's full of stuff from Nas, Jay Z, Big L, Ice Cube, early Outkast, Wu Tang, Meth and Redman, Mobb Deep, Snoop, Dre and Biggie. Then for the 00's I've more Outkast, Lil Wayne's mixtapes, Fabolous, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Chamillionaire and so on.

Most of my music from the 90's are the classics and obviously all albums. On the other hand the music I have from the 00's is made up of both albums and mixtapes. I have a ridiculous amount of mixtapes. I think most artists put out better music on their mixtapes than when they have to follow the instructions of the labels on their albums.

I'd probably have to say the 00's which would be made up almost entirely of mixtapes and the other artists listed above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

For me, it'll always be about the mid to late 80's period that spawned Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, Ice-T, NWA, Ice Cube, Eazy E, Eric B. & Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, Biz Markie, EPMD, Spoonie Gee, Schooly D, Treacherous 3, Kurtis Blow.......even the early LL Cool J stuff, from "Radio" to "Bigger & Deffer" to "Walking with a Panther". And Run DMC and the Beasties - people slag but they were many people's entry into rap/hip hop.

I listened to Ice-T's "Power" again recently and the beats and the rhymes still give me goosebumps - if you newbies haven't heard it, do yourself a favour and listen to it, the first 3 tracks alone will blow you away. A couple of fillers apart, it's a seminal album. Same goes for the early Kool Moe Dee (which I have on vinyl) and I can still remember the first time I heard "Straight Outta Compton"...the anger, the energy, the passion...whilst years before that I must have listened to the soundtrack(s) to Beat Street a million times....on tape.....:)

But no-one could seriously compare the depth of albums like PE's "It takes a Nation....." to the commercial fodder that followed in the 90s 'til now. I guess it depends what you want from your hip hop - do you want social commentary and clever lyrics or do you want Flo-Rida!!! I think the quality bar was higher then and began declining from the 90s onwards. Don't get me wrong, I do like some modern stuff, just PREFER the older joints.

But that's just me...........:)
    Illmatic, The Chronic, Ready to die, Doggystyle, The infamous, 36 chambers, Death certificate, Reasonable doubt, The war report, OB4CL, DITC, Capital punishment, Its dark and hell is hot, Slim shady lp, Black sunday, ect.

The 80s is not fvckin with the 90s. Better beats and better rhymes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jus.Me

Illmatic, The Chronic, Ready to die, Doggystyle, The infamous, 36 chambers, Death certificate, Reasonable doubt, The war report, OB4CL, DITC, Capital punishment, Its dark and hell is hot, Slim shady lp, Black sunday, ect.

theres no doubt the 90s produced more classic albums than the 80s but there was a lot more hip hop being made in the 90s good and bad.

i think the overall quality was probably better in the late 80s

take 1988..

Public Enemy- It Takes A Nation Of Millions..
    Biz Markie- Goin Off
    NWA- Straight Outta Compton
    Ultramagnetic MCs- Critical Beatdown
    Big Daddy Kane- Long Live The Kane
    Jungle Brothers- Straight Out The Jungle
    Lakim Shabazz- Pure Righteousness
    Eric B and Rakim- Follow The Leader
    Audio 2- What More Can I Say?
    BDP- By All Means Necessary
    EPMD- Strictly Business
    Slick Rick- The Great Adventures Of..
    Ice T- Power
    Krown Rulers- Paper Chase
    Tuff Crew- Danger Zone
    MC Lyte- Lyte As A Rock
    Stetsasonic- In Full Gear
    MC Shan- Born to be Wild
    Marley Marl- In Control Vol 1
    DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince- Hes the Dj...
    JVC Force- Doin Damage
    etc

no year in the 90s is on that level. 94 had alot of classics though.

as for the orig question, the decade i listen to most would be the 90s, but the year i listen to most is 88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

• Me Against The World
    • All Eyez On Me
    • The 7 Day Theory
    • The Chronic
    • Doggystyle
    • Reasonable Doubt
    • Death Certificate
    • Illmatic
    • Hard To Earn
    • Ready To Die
    • Life After Death
    • The Slim Shady LP

I could go on but the list speaks for itself, 90's was the golden age for hip-hop, it will never be that good again.

In your opinion........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

86 to 94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

In your opinion........
    And most people on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

i have to say its the current stuff,not that i think its better than any other era its just i tend to listen to either a playlist of new downloads that im constantly updating or new albums,its very rare ill go back to albums that are years old,not on a regular basis in any how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I voted 90's but after thinking about it, I should have voted 00's.

Most of the albums I have are from the 00's, though I would say the ones I have from the 90's are more consistent. Overall, I listen to the 00's most but that's just due to the fact that the overwhelming amount of my hip hop albums come from that decade.

I don't really listen to new artists. I think the last debut I bought was The Game (technically, it's Big Boi's but he's been around for years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

90's without a doubt, some early 00's material was pretty good too it started to go sour around the 07/08 mark for me, all the autotune/pop/dance really took off and blended its way into hip hop.

i know artists like a eminem always had that pop element about them, but it was usually just the lead singles from there albums in order to get radio play and the publics attention.

honestly can anyone tell me the last time we had a number 1 hip hop track without a pop or r'n'b hook of some kind? im struggling here id say we would have to go back a good few years:eek:.

but the way it is now is a shame, dont be surprised to hear your fav rapper going all t-pain/britany spears or teisto on some of there new stuff, seems like everyone is following suit.

im on my AZ sh*t tonight one of the best and most underrated to ever do it, a real hip hop legend but gets little or no mention.

real hip hop beats, simple hooks and more importantly great wordplay and that should come first, these days the average hip hop fan will like a song because of the pop/techno beat and catchy hook there use to be a time where lyrics came first and you forgot the rest because you were drawn in by the lyrics rather than the beat and hook.

hip hop just lacks substance these days and real people with real storys, i see countless posts on these boards about these underground british and irish rappers who are incredibly lyrical but to me most of them lack substance most of them rap about things that have f*ck all to do with anything there just rapping about the birds and the bee's and people think its lryical because it rhymes, there's nothing worse than hearing an irish rapper rapping from the perspective that he's from the bronx or living a gangsta lifestyle just because he might live in a rough enough estate or smoked a bit weed. As far as real hip hop ever getting a break again comercially, Maybe people dont want to hear it no more i dont know, they probably dont times change and so do peoples taste in music.

as far as todays hip hop, we still got soldiers fighting the cause most are 90's babies and there's still diamonds to be found in the dirt that is todays modern day hip hop as far as new talent i.e j.cole.

And most people on this forum.

Not trying to get into an argument and this is not a competition.....BUT I'd wager most of the posters are younger than me and grew up/had their teens in the 90s which I'm quite sure influenced what they were hearing. Considering access to Hip Hop in Ireland in the 1980s was pretty limited to a couple of shows shown at ridiculous hours on MTV and Canada's Much Music stations (which came on air late at night after Sky ended), I think I did pretty well to even FIND any Hip Hop. Pretty much the only thing you heard on Irish radio at the time was U2, Bruce Sprongsteen and Stock Aitken and Waterman productions!

Without the artists that paved the way in the 1980s (and particularly the late 80s), there would have been a very differnet Hip Hop Movement in the 1990s. The 80s had very distinct styles and beats by artist, the 90s by comparison, sounds very much 'the same'.

I guess what I'm saying is rather than just dismiss the works of the 80s, actually LISTEN to some of the albums from that time and see how good the pioneers really were:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/diction/80s_hip_hop__top_100

Have a look at the list (it wouldn't be my ranking but it's a start), and if you're not familiar with the albums or the artists, track some of them down and LISTEN to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

early to Mid 90's

Dr Dre -chronic, classic album
    Ice Cube - Predetor/Amerikkka's Most wanted
    NWA
    Erick Sermon/Keith Murray/Redman /El Nino
    DMX - Its Dark & hell is hot
    GangStarr - Step in the areana (maybe 80's ???)
    House of pain - Same as it ever was
    Mobb Deep - The infamous
    ODB - Return to the 36
    Wutang - Enter the Wu Tang/Wu Tang forever
    The Dogg Pound - Dogg Food (just "found" this yesterday, classic)
    Method Man - Tical
    2pac - Strictly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

ButtersSuki, i've a feeling man people on here listen to the 80's aswell. For example I turned 13 in 2000, but I still listen to the 90s most of the time. It is not necessarily an age thing.

Show me a poster on here who hasn't listened to NWA, Eric B & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane or Grandmaster Flash, not too many.

• Advertisement
Advertisement