Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballad Music

• 03-02-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Would anyone consider going to see a ballad group playing in town?
    I've been playing ballads in Waterford for awhile now but I dont get a great show of people as with all the ballad shows I go to see in this town.

The nightlife in Waterford seems to me to be a town of young people, Full of college students that have no time for tradition. They seem to just want to go to the nightclubs in the town...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I've been playing ballads in Waterford for awhile now but I dont get a great show of people as with all the ballad shows I go to see in this town.

The nightlife in Waterford seems to me to be a town of young people, Full of college students that have no time for tradition. They seem to just want to go to the nightclubs in the town...

If your any good people will want to see you,simple as that really.

It depends where you are playing,what bars have you been playing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Oscarbass04

Hang on a second, No one is questioning if i'm good. I know i'm good from the regulars that see me. My question simply is... Why are the ballad groups in this town getting a poor turn out? maybe its the depression(recession), Maybe it's lack of enthusiasim for trad music I dont know hence my question??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Hang on a second, No one is questioning if i'm good. I know i'm good from the regulars that see me. My question simply is... Why are the ballad groups in this town getting a poor turn out? maybe its the depression(recession), Maybe it's lack of enthusiasim for trad music I dont know hence my question??

I never said you weren't good,how could i possibly know i don't have a clue who you are,i like a good ballad band myself,but you probably answered your own question it has a lot to do with the recession,its a lot cheaper to sit at home and drink.

Also there wouldn't be many 18 to 30 year olds heading into town to listen to traditional Irish music,they would rather head to escape and masons and fall home in a heap.Unfortunately that's the reality of it.

I never said you weren't good,how could i possibly know i don't have a clue who you are,i like a good ballad band myself,but you probably answered your own question it has a lot to do with the recession,its a lot cheaper to sit at home and drink.

Also there wouldn't be many 18 to 30 year olds heading into town to listen to traditional Irish music,they would rather head to escape and masons and fall home in a heap.Unfortunately that's the reality of it.

Richie, My sentiments excactly. The young people of this town dont really celebrate tradition untill its St Paddy's Day. It's really disheartening...If it's your passion to go out of a weekend and play trad for people and find just the usuals there it's not right. I've been in the nightclubs in Waterford and I have to say, What a disgrace!! I think you all know what I mean by that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I much rather sitting in a pub listening to traditional music and having a great craic than going into overpriced town and listening to sheeeeeite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Oscar where do you play I love ballad sessions but can't find any on in the centre of town you normally have to head to some dingy local. T and H's don't have them as regular as they used to and it's hard to get the mates to walk there especially when the last time there was nothing on.

Young fella's are ruled by whats between there legs on a night out and follow the women to mason's or Harvey's etc..

Funfair wrote: »
    Oscar where do you play I love ballad sessions but can't find any on in the centre of town you normally have to head to some dingy local. T and H's don't have them as regular as they used to and it's hard to get the mates to walk there especially when the last time there was nothing on.

Young fella's are ruled by whats between there legs on a night out and follow the women to mason's or Harvey's etc..

I gig all over the place at the moment. I wont have a gig now for a couple of weeks but if you want, As soon as I'm on or any of the lads I know playing the ballads i'll post it up on here...

Also a wise man once said: Its up here for thinking and down there for dancing... I think the lads in town might have that confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Any chance of putting up a few dates & venues?
    I hope that doesn't contravene house rules?

Any chance of putting up a few dates & venues?
    I hope that doesn't contravene house rules?

Well I was asking generally, So I could see what support is out there.

As soon as I have dates they will be straight up.

Cheers everyone for the interest;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

The Uluru on a Sunday night around 8 or 9 i think. Dooneen they're called..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Tbh oscarbass04, I dont think its confined to ballad music. Lot of great bands and musicians in all kinds of differnt genres out there playing to small crowds.

The heyday of ballads in Waterford would have been the 60s-90s, bands like Davitts Revised and others would have played to great crowds every night of the week. Good money to be made, a more innocent time as there wasnt much else other entertainment out there. Also, people just arent going to pubs much anymore or are going out really late for one before they hit Masons. Pubs are in serious trouble.. Plus a lot of younger people dont even particularly like or want to see bands/ballad groups. There are so much more distractions out there too, Wii and PS3 and better Cinemas/TV and cheap booze etc
    I'm a guitar teacher and the amount of kids that come in to me that dont even own CDs is staggering. They download a few songs here and there(for free) and so dont understand the value and power of music. There are exceptions obviously but the music business these days is tough going for everyone involved...

On a positive note, here ARE still music lovers out there and if its advertised well in the press and Facebook etc you'll get a few heads down to see you.
    Best of luck:)

zeppe wrote: »
    Tbh oscarbass04, I dont think its confined to ballad music. Lot of great bands and musicians in all kinds of differnt genres out there playing to small crowds.

The heyday of ballads in Waterford would have been the 60s-90s, bands like Davitts Revised and others would have played to great crowds every night of the week. Good money to be made, a more innocent time as there wasnt much else other entertainment out there. Also, people just arent going to pubs much anymore or are going out really late for one before they hit Masons. Pubs are in serious trouble.. Plus a lot of younger people dont even particularly like or want to see bands/ballad groups. There are so much more distractions out there too, Wii and PS3 and better Cinemas/TV and cheap booze etc
    I'm a guitar teacher and the amount of kids that come in to me that dont even own CDs is staggering. They download a few songs here and there(for free) and so dont understand the value and power of music. There are exceptions obviously but the music business these days is tough going for everyone involved...

On a positive note, here ARE still music lovers out there and if its advertised well in the press and Facebook etc you'll get a few heads down to see you.
    Best of luck:)

Hey man,

Yeah I understand the whole Music scene has gone quiet lately as I still play in Rock bands around Dublin, Its sad to see but unfortunatly we all suffer in the recession. If every Musician played for the money, Music would be long gone...I agree with your comments, The only trouble with facebook is I dont use it. But I find talking to people in the music scene is far more informative than facebook.

Cheers for your comments and If you have any gigs going let me know...
    I'll also be putting up info on trad gigs,I might even make a website for musicians in Waterford mmm...

Oscarbass04

Advertisement