Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Kelly >>>>> Dani Alves

• 03-02-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Good debate going on on Twitter at the mo regarding the best right back in Premier League history. Loads of well made cases until Partrick Barclay of the Times came out with this gem -
    Gary Kelly was a sort of Daniel Alves, except better. I'd forgotten him and how good bs was.

:eek:

Ian Harte's uncle wasn't that good...was he?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good debate going on on Twitter at the mo regarding the best right back in Premier League history. Loads of well made cases until Partrick Barclay of the Times came out with this gem -

:eek:

Ian Harte's uncle wasn't that good...was he?!

In fairness I think Alves is a very good player but he looks even better because of the team he is in. Gary Kelly was quality not that good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's very hard to compare. For example I'd easily pick Gary Kelly in the Leeds team over Dani Alves while I'd pick Alves in the Barca team. It's easy for Alves to look good as a right back playing in a team who nearly always on the front foot and attacking. If Alves played in the premier league he'd be an even worse verison of Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

In fairness I think Alves is a very good player but he looks even better because of the team he is in. Gary Kelly was quality not that good though.

Dani Alves was THE star in a Sevilla side that won back to back UEFA cups, a Copa Del Rey trophy, and came within a whisker of winning a La Liga title. Dani Alves was a world beater long before he came to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Alves is so underrated in the Barcelona team it's quite ridiculous.

Paddy Barclay is known for silly things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Denis Irwin knew his way round either full back position, I remember seeing a picture of him going to head a ball and under the picture it said "Launch pad United". I thought it was funny.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good debate going on on Twitter at the mo regarding the best right back in Premier League history. Loads of well made cases until Partrick Barclay..

Stop right there.. He is perhaps the most useless journalist I've ever had the mispleasure of listening to. He was convinced Hodgson was getting better and better each week and defended him week in, week out. And then comes out with rubbish such as this.

Anyways, back on topic. Alves is a million miles ahead technically of what Kelly was. Kelly almost cost us a place in the WC2002 with a stupid sending off in the home game against Holland. He was a decent player no doubt but better than Alves? Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The answer is Lee Dixon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Dani Alves against Chelsea = lots of kickouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

All the this fuss over Neville retiring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I always liked Kelly. He was one of the top 5 full backs I've seen playing for Ireland.
    But really, he was no Dani Alves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Kelly had a lot of potential before his injury but he was never the same after that. He may have been one of the best in the world if that didn't stunt his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I remember he just completely owned Ryan Giggs a couple of times. At one stage I would have considered him among the best right backs in the world but he was never the same player after the injury.

He was as good as Dani Alves before the injury imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yep, Kelly was much better than Alves, Duff was a better winger than Figo, Ronaldo didnt have a patch on Robbie Keane, Holland was twice the playmaker Zidane was & Kilbane was light years ahead of Maldini. IMO of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

tdv123 wrote: »
    Yep, Kelly was much better than Alves, Duff was a better winger than Figo, Ronaldo didnt have a patch on Robbie Keane, Holland was twice the playmaker Zidane was & Kilbane was light years ahead of Maldini. IMO of course. :rolleyes:

Don't forgot David Connolly > Zola! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Patrick Barclay tweets the biggest load of bollocks, the only journalist that I unfollowed on Twitter.

Advertisement