Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any suggestions

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

criminal record difficulties
    Hi
    I have a criminal record since i was 20 years old for fraud- taking a cheque book and cashing cheques. I got caught up with the wrong crowd and got caught up with a life of drugs, I went to court and I now have 35 convictions all from the same cheque book.

I have since went to treatment for help to give up the drugs, I went back to college and have a honours degree in social care, and I am currently doing a Masters in Child and Youth Care, my reasons for doing this is I am passionate about helping young people who I was once like and from going down the same road as myself. I am begining to lose faith in what I believe in 'such as telling young people to change, that there is a better life' when I myself am going through such difficulties after me changing my whole life around....

Also when I finish the masters I want to go travelling to either America or Australia, however as a result of my convictions I am coming up against many barriers and I am also coming up against many barriers in working in my chosen career as a result of my record..

Does any1 know of what I can do?
    I fully accept that I did the crime I just want a second chance to be equal to every1 else with regards to employment and travelling opportunities.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is a question on the visa applications that ask about criminal history, just be honest and then its up to them.
    Nobody here can say with certainty that you will or woon't get a visa for anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Best thing is to talk to someone in Australian Embassy where every is nearest to you . We can only guess here.

They will be able to set up straight on things . Don't be dismayed we all have things in life we wish we could change . Just cause u have a record doesn't make you a bad person or stop you from entering Oz

All they need to establish is that all of it is in the past and that you don't show any signs of re-offending .

Talk to them and they will work it out with you . The worst thing you could do is not to say any thing and them find out .

Hope it all works out for you .

Advertisement