Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C - Nissan 350z/370z shoot

• 03-02-2011 3:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

7E1AF5B87A774653B797A45965994914-0000315821-0002146506-00800L-26043ED4998C4B94BBC4947876E21A33.jpg

0FD6DC7D500D4C8B87102A309F1A1785-0000315821-0002148480-00800L-85C218460B124AFDB4C1DE967E766B33.jpg

A523DA4C5AA24D2A81D154F3911FAF88-0000315821-0002148652-00800L-8DB66632C42D4272949D53364B5F2BD5.jpg

E4F09DFC9C7A41B7BD14120A3FBCE25F-0000315821-0002148626-00800L-AB17B57EA9EA46AAB2F5F7D5EABC982F.jpg

1935932A4F2E4785A87538DE0521DE2C-0000315821-0002148465-00800L-9B4C481F30C34B54AA2B0BD5550E30D8.jpg

C8D7B181CE4C452E88BA2DA638385D9B-0000315821-0002147200-00800L-0222B8B564DB4B388F086A6EDE68072A.jpg

48AA50B3CF344A349414D76BE72B7B4D-0000315821-0002148466-00800L-DE05D31F735A4368AA79632693E8011A.jpg

195C17A783534969832240D20B19E722-0000315821-0002148468-00800L-D8BC8F82753F4D40AE60C47C27E7DF2D.jpg

I'll pop in the rest of the 350z images once I'm done processing them :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'll be honest and just say it.. It looks like you just took some decent photos for done deal to sell the car.

There is nothing creative about your compositions. Its all just bog standard angles to photograph a car.

Now I don't take pictures of cars so I cant really have a *proper* opinion but I do look at car photography and appreciate it. I go on this website from time to time and the feature's are very good.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I like the 2nd photo but the lamp in the background is distracting.

how did you light the car. Flash?

Nice set OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

sorry, i gotta agree with daft there.beautiful car though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'd agree completely with dazftw. The shots don't do anything for me. I find that in car shots there's either too much or too little going on in them. It seems you've going for the minimal but there's still too much going on. There are too many distractions for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was thinking the same as dazftw, they just look like any regular photos you'd see on carzone or done deal. Nice cars though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe somewhere like a multi-storey car park would be a better location or in the same place with some strobes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jaysus - I'd love to know what ad's ye are all looking at on donedeal/etc, that have firstly a decent image quality, secondly, used off-camera lighting and up to 7 image composites :eek: :pac:

swingking - the cars are actually all ambient light, used a flash to bring out the wheels a little, and then one underexposed shot for the sky

borderfox - what exactly would strobing the cars do when they were coming out pretty well exposed anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I like 'em. Not mad on the last one -maybe it's just because I'm not a massive car fan and amn't really sure what I'm looking at! :D

But I always think car-shots are where you're allowed to overcook with pp and get away with it. So I gave it a go myself! Hope you don't mind!

Car1.jpg?t=1296745417
    :cool::D

mehfesto wrote: »
    I like 'em. Not mad on the last one -maybe it's just because I'm not a massive car fan and amn't really sure what I'm looking at! :D

The MASSIVE brakes on the thing, big enough to stop a train I'd say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Jaysus - I'd love to know what ad's ye are all looking at on donedeal/etc, that have firstly a decent image quality, secondly, used off-camera lighting and up to 7 image composites :eek: :pac:

swingking - the cars are actually all ambient light, used a flash to bring out the wheels a little, and then one underexposed shot for the sky

borderfox - what exactly would strobing the cars do when they were coming out pretty well exposed anyway?

Without being able to post an example from being on my phone, it would make them....pop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

up to 7 image composites
    and you weren't tempted to photoshop one car humping the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

They do look a bit flat to me. I would push the PP a bit as mentioned already, contrast and saturation especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think they just need a bit of a boost, I like the angle of the third one. Had a quick go just to show what I mean:

carak.jpg

Here's all I did:

screencaptureprofessionq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

apart from using the gradient tool to bring the exposure of the sky down, and adjustment brush set to exposure +0.70 on the car body and alloys. Oh, and cropped out the pole

Maybe try more angles, not so straight on? Something a little more dynamic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Firstly the last image isn't even in focus...? I'd drop that straight away.

The rest are alright but as daz said nothing great, I really think your choice of location is taking away from the cars too.

If you ask for C&C dont come back with answers like this to perfectly pertinent questions, the use of flash in this instance would be to create some drama and stop the shot looking flat. The third shot is the nicest angle out of them.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    The rest are alright but as daz said nothing great, I really think your choice of location is taking away from the cars too.

Didn't really have a "choice" of location - was a boards motors meet at Midway off the M7( i think) in portlaois, so it was a bit impromptu
    Borderfox wrote: »
    If you ask for C&C dont come back with answers like this to perfectly pertinent questions

What?

C70D57327E314E5FBD0DE62A9FBF73D2-0000315821-0002149098-00800L-9E1B3F1C057D4133A9C4349F23CE29D2.jpg

better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

car photography not really my thing, but I think they're OK.

I have a question - why do people mask the reg plates when they put photos online?

Looks better, but could do with a tighter crop above and below perhaps.

They hide the plates because a lot of personal info can easily be tracked via the reg. I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Lastest one looks a tiny bit oversharpened

• Advertisement

Getting there Challengemaster, needs more processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

They hide the plates because a lot of personal info can easily be tracked via the reg. I think.

I doubt that's the reason, if it was then wouldn't there be the same risk just driving around?

The risk is there, but you have the choice to hide it on tv/in photos. Unless someone is actually jotting down licence plates on the street you're usually safe enough. Plenty of time to take note online and get hacking.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Getting there Challengemaster, needs more processing.

Any chance of saying what you did? :p

Seriously, I've no problem with constructive crit & advice - saying it looks like a donedeal ad helps nobody tbh

as for the license number thing - some info can be tracked but mainly its because of people cloning the number plate iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Cagey I love your use of LR3 on the car, I do often think you go overboard with it on people though. :D

Cheers. I'm learning to curb it on portraits, honest :D

0351C6D81F934E73985018D5BA3EC26C-0000315821-0002149340-00800L-B411A56128D0471D976FB6628BD9F703.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Needs moar Top Gear

5414531566_c42e874faf_z.jpg

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

146447.jpg

How about something like this? Could do much more with the RAW file of course. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

The shots don't do a huge amount for me, if I'm honest, though I don't claim to know the first thing about car photography. Like others have said/shown, they need different processing. Also think you could maybe crop tighter in 3 and 4. The out-of-focus last one needs to go too. The background is a bit too busy, in my opinion (though I appreciate that you were restricted with that).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Needs moar Top Gear
    what minority is being insulted though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tobacco grads.

Any chance of saying what you did? :p

Seriously, I've no problem with constructive crit & advice - saying it looks like a donedeal ad helps nobody tbh

as for the license number thing - some info can be tracked but mainly its because of people cloning the number plate iirc.

Cropped/Topaz Adjust/Gradient Map

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

... I can see me getting in trouble with big brother for this :)
    The main areas of work were to duplicate half the sky, flip it horizontaly and paste, to remove the harsh glare coming in from the top left, still haen't worked out how to merge them seamlessly yet though...

5417078980_db38428b47_z.jpg
    Cars by LukeCMurphy81, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

I wouldnt call myself experienced in car photography, but I do have an interest in it.

First of all, the scene being set for a photoshoot is important. Try get somewhere that would relate to the cars being shot. IE Nissan = Japanese sports car > Lights> young vibe> etc, all things related to it, not just an open area. at the end of the day I suppose it depends on what your shooting for. For cars like these before, I have shot at 24 hour petrol stations where there wouldnt be much traffic but plenty of light, might not be your cup of tea but sure how and ever!

If the background is nice, even try composing your shot with the car in one corner of the picture, and scenery in a bit more than 50% of the picture (some proper photographers might not agree with me on this one but I think if the setting is nice, and the car is in the foreground, it can turn out nice.

Angle the wheel maybe a bit, gives a bit more definition to the car rather than a car just sitting in plain straight view. It just adds to the pic a bit more.

Bring some tyre shine with you for the cars

Sometimes a lower aperture works well to make the cars stick out with the background a little bit more blurry.

Just a few things I have picked up along the way, hope they might help. I can see what someone was saying about the done deal style ad's, not to be taken to heart, they are straight on pictures with a good camera. But think of a few things I've said and maybe you can take a few nice ones then. As said, it is constructive criticism and I still ask for it too myself for some of my shots, but they only get you better and better at what you do. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I much prefer the post processed ones others have posted up, Your original set seem to be lacking sharpness, a little colour and contrast. everything just seems so grey and soft at the moment. Theres a good image in there with the right processing though. :)

If there's one thing not lacking its sharpness, I'm sure of that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

the only ones that look good to me are 2 and 3. dazftw comment says alot.

you need to brush up on your post processing techniques

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I think they're actually not that bad, certainly not as bad as others are making them out to be. You have the basics done well but your choice of location is really what is leaving you down. There is just too much going on in each of the images and in addition the shots feel very rushed.

Automotive photography is surprisingly difficult, much more so than most people would believe. You just have to keep at it and try do your own thing and not worry so much about what others are thinking.

Best tip I can offer is to use a tripod as it slows you down and makes you really think about your compositions and watch your reflections in the paintwork !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

In my opinion they are just snapshots of (pretty) cars. I see nothing that would make me look twice and i think the background actually distracts an awful lot. But i do understand that there was no choice of background.
    Someone said they looked like donedeal advert photos.Im sorry OP but I agree. I just think more thought needed to be put into the composition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Someone said they looked like donedeal advert photos.Im sorry OP but I agree.
    What like these http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1870567 ,think op did better i,d say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

hoganpoly wrote: »
    What like these http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1870567 ,think op did better i,d say :)

Obviously he did better! The quality is pretty good. Just the composition's aren't. That's not something he could have helped either.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

hoganpoly wrote: »

With the right processing the car in that ad could be made to look a lot better too. Sometimes it's all about the processing and composition. Better angles and backdrop needed. Someone mentioned night lights by a garage , sounds a good idea.

Advertisement