Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union and company troubles

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew if union can step up if a company shuts its gates on the workers, and bring in scab workers to fill in the original workers spot. I've heard from my leadhand that this has happened before which is why a lot of people in the company are fearful to go to union meetings; also many people don't actually know who their shop reps and heads are in my company which me and a couple of others are worried about. I'd really like to know if union has the power to do something about being able to over rule the company head and satisfy our needs without getting us all fired????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You cant be fired for being in an union.
    A company cant let go of any workers unless there is a just cause to do so like for breach of regulations etc and then you have the right to appeal. If you are paying union fees then you should always make sure you know who your rep is incase you need to use them.
    If anyone has a genuine grivience then the Union will take up the case .
    In this case i would say the union is already on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nofal8

Hm, i can see what your saying, but there are about 5-6 companies with the same union as us, but out of all of them ours is the toughest and the lowest pay rate. The seniors that have been in the company for 3-12 years are all scared of even taking up action for fear of the company head coming down and locking there doors. They keep saying, "The guy's done it to other plants just because they wanted a pay raise, so he will do it to us and we'll all be screwed because of your stupidity." Our head rep that is supposed to help our cause is actually trying to get the one that started the movement for change by saying that he will tell union that this guy is causing trouble in the company. This is what happened today at lunch while we were campaigning for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nofal8 wrote: »
    Our head rep that is supposed to help our cause is actually trying to get the one that started the movement for change by saying that he will tell union that this guy is causing trouble in the company. This is what happened today at lunch while we were campaigning for change.
    I'd almost go over his head, and let the union know that the rep is acting in favour of the company, rather than the employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If your rep isn't performing and you don't know the procedures go to the national HQ.

They should have full time officials who can look into this.

Maybe if there is an election coming up you could stand yourself?

If national HQ fails you then you and your fellow staff should consider resigning and going to a more effective union, some are better then others

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nofal8 wrote: »
    Our head rep that is supposed to help our cause is actually trying to get the one that started the movement for change by saying that he will tell union that this guy is causing trouble in the company. This is what happened today at lunch while we were campaigning for change.

A union, by definition, is an association of workers.

Sure they have some paid staff, but when push comes to shove, it's the standing together (or not) of the workers that determines the effectiveness of the union. The union can only achieve as much as the workers are prepared to stand up for, and from what you've said that doesn't sound like much.

If you think that your current delegate ("head rep") isn't effective, then find out how to elect a better one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement