Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Ammunition from UK

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Question to the hive,

There's been threads on here regarding importing ammunition from N. Ireland. Has anyone ever imported from the UK?

A friend of mine is going over there to work and was wondering if it was possible to purchase ammo and bring it back here?

I'm guessing if you could purchase it the ferry would be the best way to bring it home?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was going to import some with my rifle when I bought that, unfortunately I would need another cert for expanding ammo as well.
    I didn't bother in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Once it is below the limit of all of your Irish, Uk and Euro licenses then you can buy it and transport it.

The Fast ferries generally do not carry ammunition (only the steel hulled ones)

The Airlines have a weight limit (think 6kg including the box and locks) for ammo but not all airlines do it - e.g. Aer Lingus and other One World airlines do but Ryanair do not.

I cannot see that there would be much of a saving to be made on the amounts covered by the ammo limits we get here once you throw in the cost of actually going and getting it.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

You also need an Importation Licence - easily got from DoJ for up to your Irish Certs limit.

Some of the slow ferries have an effective limit of 1,000 rounds. Above that you get into hazardous materials regs & documentation which is not worth the hassle for carrying yourself. Also, usually you have to notify the ferry company in advance of travelling.

Advertisement