Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make 'creamy' soup without cream?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas on how to give soup a creamy texture without using cream? Low fat yoghurt, cream cheese....??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

You can use (low fat) milk instead of cream.

Also if you add a potato to the mix it will be a creamier consistancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Merlin5545

hi guys,,,
    Yeah you people said it right.You can use the milk or by using potato and rice instead of cream as a thickener, you can make a light and tasty version of a traditional comfort food.Cream of vegetable soups have always been a favorite of mine. I love their satiny texture and rich flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

If you were to make a soup creamy without cream, but used cream cheese I think that would defeat the purpose of the leaving out the cream in the first place, right?! :P

I recently made a soup with red lentils and brown rice. It was nice and thick, spot on and really filled you up.

red lentils are a really good way to bulk up a soup with a tomato base. As others have stated, potatoes are a safe bet too.

Would a roux help maybe? I might be totally off the mark though, not sure if you can put that in soup. Potatoes usually give soup a nice thick consistency, but I wouldn't describe it as creamy to be honest. Maybe some cornflour mixed with a bit of water.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gallus

look for some soup mix(mix of lentils, barley etc) and whole pearl barley really good in a soup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Skinny Loves Food

Ok heres the solution - extra light cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia) or weight watcher cream. I just made vegetable soup today. The recipe on my blog serves 2 so i used half a medium sized potato, 3 tbsp of red lentils and then when the soup was pureed I served it up in the bowl and added 1 tsp of weight watcher cream. Just that small amount makes a huge difference. I tried adding milk and slim line milk etc. Don't bother.This is the best solution I have found so far. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

A roux is a thickener, and will taste way better than cornstarch and water. add butter and flour in equal parts and cook until a golden brown. stirring all the time. will have a nutty flavor and give your soup wonderful depth. try this and add a potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a big tub of thick greek yoghurt in Lidl that is excellent to use instead of cream. it's about 10% fat afaik, so it's not like it's fat free, but it's a lot better for you than cream4 would be (or philli even) and does a nice job imho.

it's also awesome as a dessert with some honey & nuts or fresh fruit. :)

Advertisement